Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Curricular for Difficult students and members of the travelling commyunity

Options
  • 08-04-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to get advice from people as to extra curricular activities that could be done in about an hour each day with kids that have behavioural problems. In our school unfortunately we have quite a bit and I have experience working with youth clubs and the kids there. The hour at lunch will be considered golden to get these kids to stop fighting each other and put their attention and focus elsewhere.

Over the course of next year, starting from September I have asked the principal if I could do extra curricular with these kids as they are the ones I am really interested in working with.

I'm just looking for fun educational activities that can be done within nad hour to an hour and and half.

I have ICT training so was thinking of doing a very basic computer course on one lunchtime and giving them a certificate when its completed. Then maybe art and design for a few more weeks and beauty and first aid training over a number of other weeks.

I'd be taking them three times a week so even if I couldnt run a modular kind of thing I would gratefully appreciate anything or any advice people have in this case!

I really want to make a difference here and I think this could really work.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why don't you ask THEm what they'd like to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Agree with above. First aid etc sounds great in an adults head but will only be a success if they want to do it.
    In a previous school I was dealing with the worst of them. With one group I needed to come up with a reward for meeting targets.
    Again I wanted it to be someway educational. This group had a big issue with the fact they were the only ones not doing music in 1st year so I was able to arrange drumming work shops for them. Worked very well for a time then the level of interest fell so we moved onto some thing else.
    The whole key for me was their views. It made them feel important and respected also rather than just being dictated to as they were used to

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Why don't you ask THEm what they'd like to do?

i actually had them just after posting this and came up with some good ideas. A lot of things they want to do won't get done in the lunch time, horse riding, trips away etc, i think they are missing the point. they had a good idea today to set up a mini company and that but will hopefully have that in the plan for September rather than these last few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could you arrange a trip to RACE and use it as a carrot for a horse (or animal)-related project or mini-company?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

I'm not sure what age they are, but I would say they might like an opportunity to practice on Driver Theory Disks. Any traveller groups I have worked with, it was always a goal to get their driving licence as soon as they could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement