Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

The place is probably gutted for the most part now anyway. Has anyone been inside it since it became a 'prison' as described by some of the inhabitants?

hmmm if they dont like it they can **** off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

i know a fella who worked there a few months ago and he said they have the life of luxury down there,they get 5 meals a day and every different food is catered for,due to the culture diversity.all free dont forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

i know a fella who worked there a few months ago and he said they have the life of luxury down there,they get 5 meals a day and every different food is catered for,due to the culture diversity.all free dont forget.
    ...all for a different thread please!
    Thread is about past Mosney history.

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    ...Mosney Mug bought on my last visit. Was making a cup of tea after posting and just copped the mug:D I think I paid £2 for it.
    Thats mug could be worth a couple of quid on Ebay. |There are collectors of such stuff including me. :)
    ...Does anyone know if there was overnight accommodation for people? I used to go and think that it was a little plain for more then a great day out, just the one, but then I vaguely remember accommodation...did people stay for a week or two?

Yes.
    People could say for a day, a week, fortnight or even in some cases, the whole season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Typical Irish Gardai lol

I remember this place well, I had a think about it last night, and some random memories came flooding back. I'd say it was the place to be for the staff although at the time all I can remember is being more interested in the swimming and the karting. Just a brilliant day out. Having said that, seen the train, but never took it.

Does anyone know if there was overnight accommodation for people? I used to go and think that it was a little plain for more then a great day out, just the one, but then I vaguely remember accommodation...did people stay for a week or two?

Stayed whole summer :D Got lost in the numerous chalet paths,it was a blast :) Damn bunk bed had a shape of a person over my head and spent many a sleepless night terrified :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Biggins wrote: »
    ...all for a different thread please!
    Thread is about past Mosney history.

ehhhhhhhhhhh..........show me this rule book.the tread title is mosney so shuv it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

When did Mosney close down? I'm 17 and I remember going there :(

James_LWAU wrote: »
    When did Mosney close down? I'm 17 and I remember going there :(
    It closed down for a while, then held two "Homelands" music festivals consecutively (both of which I attended as a VIP - but thats another story or two...). Enjoyed them both.
    The following year the government took hold of the lease for the place.

Currently digging up some more stuff pics-wise

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ehhhhhhhhhhh..........show me this rule book.the tread title is mosney so shuv it:D

Tone down the personal stuff in future please.

Biggins just had a re-look at your pics i remember you :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

So, It closed down around 2000?

This is a very rare item. So big some can't scan in one go.

Side one of the booking form from the early years:

page1by.jpg

The other side: page2bu.jpg

More coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Mosney was a fucking dump.

you should see it now

Postcard 1
    card1o.jpg

Postcard 2
    card2rd.jpg

A letter from the past
    Mosney produced their own material so that you could write off about how you were getting on at the camp.
    What you have below is a lengthy postcard. One one side was the pics - of which I had to scan in two parts - and on the other was where you would write.
    In this case, I am giving readers of boards.ie forum a VERY rare glimpse (NEVER shown anywhere before) into the past of someone that stayed at the time (1949) and is writing to their family in America. Enjoy!

The photos on the card part (a): cardb1.jpg

The photos on the card part (b): cardb2.jpg

The actual guest letter: theletter.jpg

The envelope: theenvelope.jpg

I have some other stuff but they do not scan well for some reason but if anyone is in the Louth region and ever wants to see them, they are free to drop by.
    They include other old pictures, cards, posters, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

OMG Biggins I spotted meself in one of those pics !!! :D:D I also knew Felix well.

OMG Biggins I spotted meself in one of those pics !!! :D:D I also knew Felix well.
    Its a small world or should I say island. :)

I just googles Felix for the craic. Not good news I'm afraid. He was from Thurles BTW :)

Didnt every girl in Ireland who went there know felix well :p

caseyann wrote: »
    Didnt every girl in Ireland who went there know felix well :p
    Well he was one character that made sure he got to know them! ;)

:pac:

He was one cooool dude. I miss him and his antics. :pac:

Biggins wrote: »
    Well he was one character that made sure he got to know them! ;)

:pac:

He was one cooool dude. I miss him and his antics. :pac:

Yeah i recall following yous around :o got some giving out to by my parents for it :p

• Advertisement

I just googles Felix for the craic. Not good news I'm afraid. He was from Thurles BTW :)

Aye, I knew he was from that direction.
    No idea how things ended up for him. Any info would be appreciated.
    caseyann wrote: »
    Yeah i recall following yous around got some giving out to by my parents for it

Some staff were very popular amid the campers LOL :D

Sent you a PM there Biggy

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I actually worked in mosney too,in 1997. Got £80 a week and you could supplement it by babysitting! Had great craic there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Two of my sisters used to work there, they brought me up there when I was about 9 and it was brilliant! The swimming was my favourite part :D I can't remeber much of the day but I know I had way to much candyfloss. Aww shame it was closed down. I want another go on the molly whales!!!

I got to know people that would quit their full time jobs so that they could go back there per season again just to work in the place for the "craic".
    They knew the pay was schite, much lower than the job they were quitting from but for the sheer fun to be had there, on duty and off, the financial loss was accepted as a price to be paid for great memories - and they were.

...Damn I miss the place. :(

Anyone who worked in the kichens will remember the mad brothers who worked on the plate machine. Very strange duo indeed. Some days there was such an atmosphere between the two of them but no soul dared to bring it up. I've seen the glassless one fly off the handle a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Floppybits

ah I remember mosney well, spent a few summers there on holidays and a few day trips.

the swimming pool was the only 50 metre pool in Ireland at the time, and the deep end was 9ft I think. It use to have a diving board as well. They ruined it putting in the water slides. Use to love the snooker and pool table room next door to the pool. Was great in the evenings when the day trippers went home. :D

Floppybits wrote: »
    ah I remember mosney well, spent a few summers there on holidays and a few day trips.

the swimming pool was the only 50 metre pool in Ireland at the time, and the deep end was 9ft I think. It use to have a diving board as well. They ruined it putting in the water slides. Use to love the snooker and pool table room next door to the pool. Was great in the evenings when the day trippers went home. :D
    For those that were in the swimming pools, the screaming of kids was always at its highest pitch and non-stop. It only got worse after they put in the slides and other items later on.
    The poor life guards and attendants used to suffer from headaches very frequently.
    After hours and hours of hearing constant screaming, walking outside during a break or after a shift, the sudden move from that to near total silence outside was like moving from black to white in seconds.

When the day trippers went home, the place got a lot less chaotic. The older residents emerged more. The elderly in particular I speak of here. You would find they would take the oppertunity to stroll around more in the evenings rather than during the mad day time.

Floppybits wrote: »

Good god it wasnt that deep it looked more like 20 ft deep to me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Ahh the memories that have flooded back.....

I went to Mosney on many a school trip and even ended up working there from 1997-1999

Best 3 summers of my life, would be best compared to Dirty Dancing on crack :D Still have some good friends form Mosney that I see on a regular basis and thanks to Facebook I've re-connected with a few more.

Money was crap, people were fantastic. You only worked there for 3 months but everyone was like family at the end of each season. Still remember loads of us crying on the last night each year :(
    Ham & cheese toasties in the staff rec room, writing your name into the book if you had no money (regular occurence:D)
    Monday night in Shakers was staff night, pure laugh! Drinking in the chalets everynight. I was lucky to have a double bed.... they were a commodity themselves!!

Climbing over the beach gate after it got locked at 10pm, usually pissed after the trip to Laytown for the cheap beer/vodka :D

May look into that You Tube video... my picture is in it, not too strange you might think.... what i mean is "MY" picture, from my camera is in it!!!!

Would love to see it reopened in some capactity but why would the McCloskeys bother when they're getting €9.2million for "renting" it out?

God forbid if you ever needed to see the nurse, all she could give out was Strepsils!! Headache = strepsil, Toothache = strepsil, Broken arm = strepsil :P

I miss Mosney :( I'm sure i'll be posting back with more memories!!

Anyone remember the two fires in two days in 1998??????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement