Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosney

• 03-07-2010 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

What ever happened to Mosney

When I was a young Kid ( Im 30 now :eek:) my parents used to bring me there for Weekends where you could go Go karting , Swimming and go on all the attractions .

Does anyone here remember it and should Ireland have something like it again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It became Mosnia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The refugees moved in and claimed it for their own.

From Wikipedia:
    Mosney Refugee Centre

In December 2000, a five year deal was signed with the government to turn Mosney into a refugee centre. The mayor of Drogheda was reported to be "incensed" and the local council feared it would become a "ghetto". Mosney is now home to 700 refugees from over 20 different countries. Most of the old attractions have been mothballed, but recreation facilities still included a football arena, table tennis and a supervised play area. Some of the current residents describe it as a luxury prison. There is a 2007 documentary called "Seaview" featuring interviews with asylum seekers and staff from the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mosney was a fucking dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

WIZE wrote: »
    my parents used to bring me there for Weekends where you could go.... on all the rides

Your parents took you to a brothel ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As Hank as said.

In the last few months though, the numbers being staying in it has been dropping big time per month (due to the state of our economy and outsiders not seeing Ireland as a "viable good prospect").

A lot of the staff there has been cut, some reduced in hours, made go from full time to part-time and so on.

The official owners (there are backers, some of whom are Dublin based) Phalime McCloskey and his wife (Philomenia) will eventually get their permission to do something further with it (twice rejected before... ;) ) when they have lived up to their end of the deal with the government for they allowing the camp to be used as it is for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I vaguely remember going on a family holiday there shortly after the asylum seekers moved in. At the time only a small part of it was cordoned off for them and the rest was business as usual. I vaguely remember a swimming pool with a window under the water so people out side could see people swimming around - did I imagine that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Mosney was a fucking dump.

When I was around 8 I didnt think of it like that . I loved it .

But look at the situtation now. People have less money to go abroad

In the 80s when things were bad it was a cheap way of entertaining the the kids

Since Ireland has gone backwards Financially should Ireland open up a new Entertainment center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Truley wrote: »
    I vaguely remember going on a family holiday there shortly after the asylum seekers moved in. At the time only a small part of it was cordoned off for them and the rest was business as usual. I vaguely remember a swimming pool with a window under the water so people out side could see people swimming around - did I imagine that :confused:

No, there was a swimming pool with a window. I remember it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

When I was around 8 I didnt think of it like that . I loved it .

But look at the situtation now.

In the 80s when things were bad it was a cheap way of entertaining the the kids

Since Ireland have fo backwards Financially should Ireland open up a new Entertainment center

Well, as it contains a small number on to whom many want to shift all their fears, worries and the blame for their lives onto, in a way, it almost serves the same function.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

I remember Mosney alright. I was hit square in the middle of my forehead from a stray golf ball from that little crazy golf type thing they had...right in front of my whole school (queuing up for some show or something), had to put up with a day of being asked whose balls were on my face and other equally mortifying-at-that-age type statements!

So let the Mosnians have it... :mad:

I remember that . lol . And the Giant mushrooms and a big slide at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Nodin wrote: »
    Well, as it contains a small number on to whom many want to shift all their fears, worries and the blame for their lives onto, in a way, it almost serves the same function.....

Dey tuk ur ... holiday village :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

The Dragon Slide ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

Anyone remember how bad the quasar was?????

No, its there. It was/still is attached to a bar that was called "Dan Lowry's", near by the "American Bar"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Biggins wrote: »
    No, its there. It was/still is attached to a bar that was called "Dan Lowry's", near by the "American Bar"

FYP....:)

God, how we loved that place!!!!
    We came up from Galway every year for a week from the time I was 4 up until I was 16 and loved it each and every year......Was back in the day when no-one really went on holidays abroad.
    Used to love making friends from all over the country and becoming penpals as of course no-one had email, FB or even mobile phones:)

Loved the "Wall of Death", I think it was called and the disco's in the ballroom, oh and the bingo in the amusement that you had the card in front of ya which you pulled over the cover to hide the numbers!!:D

Many, many years ago I used to work in it.
    I can tell a story or two but honestly, you wouldn't believe what went on there. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I used to go there as a child. Was a great craic. I remember the swimming pool had a glass wall that you could see into the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I loved Mosney so much.. I wonder what they ever done with the Yellow Wheel

Many, many years ago I used to work in it.
    I can tell a story or two but honestly, you wouldn't believe what went on there. LOL

Do tell:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

dlofnep wrote: »
    I used to go there as a child. Was a great craic. I remember the swimming pool had a glass wall that you could see into the shop.

Used to be craic standing in Dan Lowry's with my dad in the afternoon when he and me mam be having a few pints with the other families we'd become friends with for the week.
    There would always be some young lad in the pool exposing himself thru the glass and my dad would be goin' fookin' mental!!!:D

Of course, we loved it, thought it was great fun!!!!:p

I loved Mosney so much.. I wonder what they ever done with the Yellow Wheel

is that the wheel that span really fast and you stuck to the wall and lift you feet off the ground

Do tell:eek:
    An IRA convention held there.
    The lifeguard that used to keep a shotgun under his bed.
    The key swapping.
    The day the Army from Gorminstown had to take over the place.
    The many "holes in one" on the pitch and putt greens!
    The security man that like to jump on girls from trees.

LOL
    Aaa... good times. I miss them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Remember it well,one of our relations family would book a chalet for a week then four families more would pay in for the day and crash out in the one chalet for the week and split the cost.

It wasnt the most comfortable but sure times were hard but it was some craic:D

is that the wheel that span really fast and you stuck to the wall and lift you feet off the ground

Yeah.. it was great. The first time I ever got drunk was in Mosney, me and my mate drinking Scrumpy Jack from one of the bars.. we got served no bother and were only 15 at the time.. I remember one night there was a riot between a group from Dublin and another from Belfast.. we just sat pissed egging them on :pac:

An IRA convention held there.
    The lifeguard that used to keep a shotgun under his bed.
    The key swapping.
    The day the Army from Gorminstown had to take over the place.
    The many "holes in one" on the pitch and putt greens!
    The security man that like to jump on girls from trees.

LOL
    Aaa... good times. I miss them :D

Haha

What was your job there

A Green Keeper or a Security Guard

Haha
    What was your job there
    A Green Keeper or a Security Guard
    Bar staff. Right out of school and into the place the first year of away from home and independence.
    The two best paid jobs in the place was Security and Bar staff.
    (Don't know how the "whellie boys & girls" managed to do their jobs! Crap pay and even worse tyrant husband/wife supervisors)
    We had to stay in the place the whole season so we got to experience the day AND night life in its FULL colour.

A great life for someone if your single. :D

• Advertisement

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Remember it well,one of our relations family would book a chalet for a week then four families more would pay in for the day and crash out in the one chalet for the week and split the cost.

It wasnt the most comfortable but sure times were hard but it was some craic:D

That was the Good thing about Mosney .

Times were hard for people but Mosney gave people some good times

You think the Government could give some of the millions out of the Billions given to the Banks to build something like it again so Families could entertain the kids and also have a good time yourselves

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

There is a facebook group called 'Support the reopening of Mosney Holiday Camp' they have some good old pics.

Dub13 wrote: »
    There is a facebook group called 'Support the reopening of Mosney Holiday Camp' they have some good old pics.

I have pics but they can't be made public. ;):D

Many an ex-staff member would not forgive me. :D

Just found this thread on another site where people are trying to have it reopened as a holiday resort - http://www.butlinsmemories.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7008&page=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I remember their was a coca cola slide, and you could swim from an inside pool to an outside pool. Also I think their was a church there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ah the memories, i for one miss mosney, i spent a few summers there, as im sure most of my generation did.

I want a new mosney.:mad:

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I remember their was a coca cola slide, and you could swim from an inside pool to an outside pool. Also I think their was a church there.
    In 1946 when the concept of a holiday camp was first mooted, there was very strong resistance at parochial level. I was actually in the church on the day that the parish priest, Father Johnston preached from the altar that Butlin's would be a den of iniquity and that nobody was to work in it. There was a very anti-Butlin feeling within the Catholic Church at that time and it was very aggressively expressed but my father who was the Garda (police) sergeant in Julianstown, the nearby village, had a particular view which he expressed very forcibly, that every one of the objector's children would eventually work in Mosney. And they did!

http://www.butlinsmemories.com/mosney/yourmemories/jimtuohy.htm

The priests of Ireland said it would turn into a den of ill-repute, that god would be forgotten about and Solom and Gomorra would visit.

Well even with the church built (the only holiday camp ever to build one by Billy Butlin) - they still came to visit. :D

Side note 1: They deliberately built the church on the left-hand side of the front gates so that those coming and going would see gods home as the first and last thing they did at the camp!
    Side note 2: When the camp was sold, unknown to Billy Butlin or accounted for, was that in the church had a master piece painting hanging in it. The new purchasers bought the place only soon after to discover they came into possession (through the full sale) of an expensive work of art - at a cheap price! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

every one of the objector's children would eventually work in Mosney. And they did!

Including the priests children :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

anyone remember the swan pedaloes? little boats that looked like swans which you could take out on the lake. fun times.

waits for comment about swans being eaten :D

soups05 wrote: »
    anyone remember the swan pedaloes? little boats that looked like swans which you could take out on the lake. fun times.

waits for comment about swans being eaten :D

o god yes, i got stuck in one. stuck on a rock or something, fun times. I also remember the ghost train, that involved goin around in the dark and a piece of rope touching you..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was never there but looking at this video looking similiar to leisureland in galway or something

but yeah, entertainment facilities and themeparks are badly needed in this country, there is barely any proper recreational establishments for young people in this country, when you think every major scandinavian city has a themepark in or near the city, shows how far from a real first world country we are in more ways than one

• Advertisement

Over the years I've collected some very are memorabilia from Mosney.

From original post cards, original newspaper adverts/posters etc, to photos that are also rare.

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    o god yes, i got stuck in one. stuck on a rock or something, fun times. I also remember the ghost train, that involved goin around in the dark and a piece of rope touching you..:rolleyes:

Did it go through the Church by any chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

That is great news:)

Over the years I've collected some very are memorabilia from Mosney.

From original post cards, original newspaper adverts/posters etc, to photos that are also rare.

I noticed you didnt mention a collection of ladies knickers

Is your wife beside you

I noticed you didnt mention a collection of ladies knickers

Is your wife beside you
    LOL No comment. :pac:
    ...and I'm in one of the pics in that youtube clip up above LOL.

The wise staff in the place as soon as they got paid on a Monday, would put their money into a post office saving account book. Anyone remember the small post office in it? (It was right beside the staff restroom which used to be a fruit shop before that.)
    The rest of the staff would end up spending their money again on Monday night in "Shakers", the staff disco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mosney, my arse, it was Butlins!

Did it go through the Church by any chance

that explains hearing mass halfway through it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

yeah i used to go abroad,my family never liked mixing with poor peasant scum :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Its a concentration camp nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

pmcmahon wrote: »
    yeah i used to go abroad,my family never liked mixing with poor peasant scum :P

Tenerife was sooooo middle class.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement