Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 passion

oh and it was 1990 or the yr after because i remember the world cup playin in dan lowrys on one the trips ha.. stools got thrown when ireland scored ha.. great laugh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

wild_cat wrote: »
    I can't wait to tell my brother that. He went on the nature trips with him everytime we went. We were laughing about his name a while back when out for a walk in a forest. Can't remember it now for the life of me.. was it uncle something???

Uncle Chester :p

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Used to be hiding so ya didnt have to get out of the pool!!!

THose were the days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A lot do: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055957929&highlight=mosney
    (I've posted pics on that thread - and on my own facebook page there is another 90+)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I remember it when it was Butlins.....the Puff'n Billy, the bumpy slide and cabaret nights with the aul pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You mean Mosnia?

Ah deadly was lookin for a good thread on that!

Only talkin bout that and Rainbow Rapids!!!

Mushroom waterfall FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The whales!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Took part in the community games up there for a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You mean Mosnia?

Bosney?

We only ever did the day trips! Wud have loved to be stayin there a few nights, used to feel like a 4 hour drive gettin there from Blanch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

A few of my Aunties had mobiles there so spent many a week there as a kid. Remember being terrified of the Dragon slide, then turned 5 and realised it was actually crap.

Yellow wheel was always fun, and never seemed even remotely safe.

They charged extra for the bumper boats so I never really got to go on them.

Once I was given a pound so I could go on those water tanks that shot tennis balls. I couldn't figure out how to fire them and then my time was up :(.

One time when I was staying with my aunty and she tried to make me eat cabbage and I wouldn't so she mixed it up with my spuds so I would, then I couldn't even eat the spuds. What a bitch.

Ah memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Went there with the Community Games a few times... great times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Yeah a great place when I was a kid, unfortunately my folks hadn't the shilling to take us for a full holiday, so if we were near me and my cousins would bonk in over the railway tracks.

Ahhhh, nostalgia, great times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I got my first hand job in Mosney

orourkeda wrote: »
    I got my first hand job in Mosney

Nice!!! :D

Biggins wrote: »
    Nice!!! :D

Its the small things in life that make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

When did Mosney close to the public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I only ever heard about the place and that it was only slightly better than Gitmo.

Its the small things in life that make you happy.

Hopefully not too 'small'. ;):D

Hopefully not too 'small'. ;):D

She found it eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Threads Merged

James__10 wrote: »
    When did Mosney close to the public?
    In December 2000, a five year deal was signed with the government to turn Mosney into a refugee centre. Mosney is now home to 700 refugees from over 20 different countries. Most of the old attractions have been mothballed, but recreation facilities still included a football arena, table tennis and a supervised play area. There is a 2007 documentary called "Seaview" featuring interviews with asylum seekers and staff from the camp.
    The deal to use the camp has been renewed in 2010, albeit with a lower capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butlin's_Mosney

Its now winding up as a camp for taking in people from other countries.
    A relative up there is on short time dues to lack of numbers - which they are now moving to other places around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Does anybody remember playing boulderdash on the Commodore 64s ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ebbsy wrote: »

Not in Mosney, no.

In the computer room at the top of the long avenue, reaching up from the main gates?
    Didn't play it myself there but remember visiting the PC room there with the small hologram pictures hanging on the walls inside an inner corridor within the same building.
    Think the computer area was there for about two years.

She found it eventually

Good to hear! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

markocork wrote: »
    Anyone on this thread work in Mosney in 1988????????//

Yep.

In the computer room at the top of the long avenue, reaching up from the main gates?
    Didn't play it myself there but remember visiting the PC room there with the small hologram pictures hanging on the walls inside an inner corridor within the same building.
    Think the computer area was there for about two years.

Go to Mosney, go to computer room :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thank god Im not the only ould codger here then !

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

we had one family holiday and that was to mosney. the brother was 2/3 yrs old, so I would have been around 12 i think. the late 90's. even remember the room number K9 :D we arrived on the train with another fully loaded family for a week, but the other family left after 4 days, place had us nearly broke by then too, but we'd paid for 7 days and we were getting 7 days.

remember the indoor pool with the weird spyhole in the wall :) the outdoors paddling pool for the toddlers, learned there is no colour changing chemical in pools from that paddling pool. :rolleyes:

the big yellow wheel, was called the Space Roundabout, and myself and one of the sisters went on it eleven times. the father came on the last day, he was a slight bit green after lol

remember going to the beach and asking why there was a road on the water... it was the waves, tide was so far out i assumed that if we walked out too far we'd either fall to our deaths off some under water cliff or the water would beat us back to shore :eek: i was a worryer as a child.

ah mosney, glad we went and experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missilesting

My mother managed the Laundrette in Butlins later called Mosney, between the late 60s till near the end of the 80s all my family at some time or another worked their, being from Laytown only a short walk along the beach meant a lot of Laytown residents had seasonal employement in mosney, great times .. :D it's a shame to see it now gone to ruin take a look at links below
    http://www.butlinsmemories.com/mosney/april2007/mosney29407043.htm
    http://www.butlinsmemories.com/mosney/april2007/mosney29407096.htm

or even better read this old article from the irish indo newspaper
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/sex-and-drugs-for-sale-at-mosney-477063.html :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

great Place. unreal memories there, i went there for years.

its only lately im starting to think about it and how much i missed it.

my one memory was a red coat called pamela. i fancied the knickers off her. i was about 10 or 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Love this thread. I went to mosney every yr from 93 to 2000 (about 5/6 families) was even there on the last night (snuck in a few days before with friends on a day visit and shacked up with a red coat i'd met previously) I won lovely legs and head to toe comps one yr and my friend won the karaoke so we got a free holiday back up to compete in finals. It was so much fun. We use to run riot while our parents boozed it up in Dan Lowries. Oh good times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I can remember playing them - They had Atari 64's in the computer room too when I was a kid. Oh the memories.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mck89

i loved mosney as a child im only 23 still can picture everything. mosney still to this day as a lot of the buildings and old monuments all around the centre, it still looks the same . if u ever get the chance to see it now yeah some things are gone but it still looks the same . i love seeing it as the memories come flooding back each time i go up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

I remember it, my older sister used to work there when she was a student, she has lots of photos in her albums of her time in Mosney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

mck89 wrote: »
    i loved mosney as a child im only 23 still can picture everything. mosney still to this day as a lot of the buildings and old monuments all around the centre, it still looks the same . if u ever get the chance to see it now yeah some things are gone but it still looks the same . i love seeing it as the memories come flooding back each time i go up .

Memories of threads from 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mck89

does anyone remeber the cosy kitchen? and the ball room nice summer evenings ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I didnt realise mosney was around so long. I went there with my family in the mid 90's and i loved it.
    I do remember though our chalet door had a gap about a foot high at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Truley wrote: »
    I vaguely remember going on a family holiday there shortly after the asylum seekers moved in. At the time only a small part of it was cordoned off for them and the rest was business as usual. I vaguely remember a swimming pool with a window under the water so people out side could see people swimming around - did I imagine that :confused:

ha ha I remember those windows, must be on of my earliest memories :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MOC88 wrote: »
    ha ha I remember those windows, must be on of my earliest memories :pac:

Our youth club annual trip was to here.

How in UK and Wales they have Havens parks and we have nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

I know its been awhile since anyone has commented on this thread but just thought i'd leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5MlHg5y2s&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

tomofson wrote: »
    I know its been awhile since anyone has commented on this thread but just thought i'd leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5MlHg5y2s&feature=youtu.be

Christ, its like a real life Fallout 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ah man. Why did they have to hold their phone the wrong way when recording the video? Makes it very annoying to watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shamelessJ

Yea it's sad to see it gone this way I have very fond memories of mosney my family had a mobile home down their in the 90's so I was lucky to spend a lot of time in mosney. I remember walking up from the train station every Friday with my nana sisters and cousins along those chalets in the video to the mobile park, the grass would be cut and those chalets would not have being all used even back then the other side of mosney has more modern chalets which would still be used today by the refugees the ones in the video would of being the original chalets first built by but lin in the 40's.
    It's sad seeing down by the pool and the windows covered and bobs arcade with nothing in it... that area used to be always buzzing during the day with music playing out side the laser dome the smell of candy floss in the air every one happy and enjoying the place arcades, the pool, playground, boating lake, the playground, the amusements, red coats and who can forget the young hoppers.
    At night time the entertainment was great in the ball room and Dan lowrys music from the show band era was very popular in mosney with the likes of red hurley, joe dolan, Dicky rock playing regularly any time I hear a Neil Diamond song it reminds me of mosney ( I am only 32 now) 😀 but it was a great place be back then and i am grateful to have being lucky enough to experience it I have many great memories of butlins I always called it.
    But youtube is great and the are some good videos on it of when it was a holiday center I can't share cause I don't post much on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Looks like an abandoned village near a nuclear disaster site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I fúcking hate seagulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Duff wrote: »
    I fúcking hate seagulls.

Is it the seagulls that caused this sh it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement