Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutorials!?

Options
  • 29-09-2009 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does it matter if you miss tutorials?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It depends what course you're doing. In some courses, you get marks for attendance at tutorials. I think it works that way in Arts anyway; someone who knows more will hopefully clarify that.

If you're doing maths or science, attendance at tutorials isn't compulsory but they are a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Just wondering does it matter if you miss tutorials?
    In some courses, you get marks for attendance at tutorials. I think it works that way in Arts anyway; someone who knows more will hopefully clarify that.

In first year for some subjects, yes. But what is more important is that in many Arts subjects (History, Philosophy etc.) at UCC, the tutorials are the only classes where attendance is monitored. At the end of the year, if a student is borderline, attendance is taken into consideration in determining the final grade. Plus, tutorials are there to show students the correct methodology for approaching the subjects outlined in the lectures. As such, it is very important to attend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

oh cool im doing biochem not that i plan i ditching i just have driving lessons on during two of them because there late in the but i can just go to them earlier in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

That's the best idea, talk to one of the lecturers or the first year coordinator and try get into another tutorial group for the two weeks you'll be missing. They'll be happy to accomodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Ya, I know a few people in Biochem, and they missed a fair few lectures between them (I do not reccomend this by the way) but they always went to labs and tutorials and stuff. Switching should be grand, just say it to your lecturer or tutor or whatever. You should really go to them though, apart from the attendance bit, they do help a lot with anything you don't fully understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

they do indeed i went to my physics one this evening and cleared up a few things so quite worth!!

Advertisement