Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a celebrity for store opening???

Options
  • 08-02-2008 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Ok you guys, Im seriously now.....

I've moved back to a picturesque seaside village about 18mnths ago to take over, renovate and upgrade our family business. This was a small local shop, which i now have loan approval/planning and builders ready to transform into a modern foodmarket with retail units for rent to third parties. A small shopping complex of sorts..
    The reopening date is June 1 and I wonder who you think would make a good celebrity or celebrities to perform the opening?? I need to:

a) Appeal to the most people, and generate the most publicity (national coverage not required)
    b) Appeal to the most men, women and children, both young and old
    (target market is pretty broad)
    c) It can't cost the earth in appearance fees, etc

Who would you reccomend/like to see and have you any quirky ideas that i could use on the day to create publicity on local press/radio??

Thanks in advance!! (and please dont suggest Daniel O'Donnell :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Glenda Gilson. She'd stick her face on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mary Harney, but you'd have to quadruple your pie order as bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ar3d

How about my girl, Jessica Alba? he..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

Brian O Driscoll
    Jordan/Katie Price
    Shayne Ward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Yer man from Your a Star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

A supermarket opened recently near me and they had Dev from corrie opening it! Prob cos of the link with his corner shop! Another one had Joe Duffy! Two housewives favourites!
    I think you should concentrate more towards appealing to woman! In reality what man would go out of his way to meet some celeb! Any celeb is popular with kids!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

One of those freaks off Discovery..Britain's Fattest man or The Woman With No Face or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tubridy or D'arcy to do a radio show from there?

Bono

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Tubridy or D'arcy to do a radio show from there?

Do you know how much it would cost to hire either of those fools for even ten minutes?They're not going to do a radio show from some fruit an veg shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

That weather guy from TV3 opens anything! He has opened at least 3 shops in my area in the last year and the local rag turned up every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

it would have to be kerry katona she needs the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Samantha Mumba would go to the opening of an envelope to promote her new album

Bang on the mark there, and people would probably still go along for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Glenda Gilson. She'd stick her face on anything

i know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I would suggest your countys best known GAA footballer.

Well known and not too expensive, and would appeal to the locals.

It's true, even balls if ya paid her well enough.

glenda_withsig.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Northernsoul

Thanks people, but i'd rather go bankrupt in week 3 than hire glenda gilson, i simply cannot frickin STAND HER!!... and her permanently surprised cock-eyebrowed look. Blue steel it in't!!

I actually thinking of 2 celebs now..

1) The guy Liam from Coronation Street (very topical, his mam is Irish, + the chicks LOVE him)
    2) Michelle Doherty from channel 6 (as scantily clad as possible, to bring out the lads enforce)

Gonna cost be circa 4,000 to have both attend + accomdation in local hotel (though Michelle can stay with me, and we might save a few bob ;)

What you think???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

What side of the country are you on?

I would suggest Keith Duffy...

anyway ideas for the day.

Contact your local newspapers. get them out to take some photos on the day, this will generate more local interest than a quick mention on radio.

get a load of helium balloons with the store logo on them filled for children and outside the shop and area...

run a competition with entry into a draw with every purchase... They write their name and address on the receipt and hold a draw at the end of the day..

If you really want the radio coverage.. And you cant talk the radio into giving it to you... Get someone to stagge an armed robbery on the day!!:eek::eek:

Anyway i hope some of this can be of some help to you.

Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

FunkZ wrote: »
    Yer man from Your a Star
    Of course - Brendan Kilkenny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

What about The Your A Star judges or Brian Ormond or something like that?
    or Rosanna Davison or Andrea Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

NOT Daniel O'Donnell? :eek:
    who else is there?

kelle wrote: »
    Of course - Brendan Kilkenny!

I meant the singer from Black Daisy but yeah sure! :p

I'll do the opening if ya want OP?

Quality wrote: »
    What side of the country are you on?

I would suggest Keith Duffy...

anyway ideas for the day.

Contact your local newspapers. get them out to take some photos on the day, this will generate more local interest than a quick mention on radio.

get a load of helium balloons with the store logo on them filled for children and outside the shop and area...

run a competition with entry into a draw with every purchase... They write their name and address on the receipt and hold a draw at the end of the day..

If you really want the radio coverage.. And you cant talk the radio into giving it to you... Get someone to stagge an armed robbery on the day!!:eek::eek:

Anyway i hope some of this can be of some help to you.

Best of luck!!

Thanks for this advice for ideas for the day - but i was thinking more along the lines of Guerrilla marketing. Just to refresh your memory, guerrilla marketing is about gaining the maximum exposure for a company, event, product, service or person with the minimum amount of cash. An conventional way of promoting the opening that would get people talking and be worthy of the front page on the 5 or so local newspapers.. Any thoughts?

That should be "UNconventional" obviously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Tubridy....anything to keep that talentless plonker off the radio is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Dustin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A drunken streaker with a sandwich board and a chainsaw.

Advertisement