Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMac

Options
  • 20-11-2005 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

hey, my uncle gave me a IMac today. dont know how old it is but ive still seen them around in offices and stuff. When i turned it on the screen is only showing a floppy disk with a question mark flashing over it, im guessing it something to do with booting. Is their free OS software that you can get to solve the problem...oh ya theres a noise aswell, it clicks inside, not from the speakers but from the hardware itself from what i can hear....

i dont know anything bout apple pc, take this into consideration.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't know much about mac's either but when you get it working again have a look at http://www.macwindows.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

If theres a smiley like

:-(

on the screen, then that's a "Sad Mac". That means your hardware is faulty, basically that thing would be dead.

If there's a floppy with a question mark on it, that means there's no operating system installed.

In that case, you have to get a Mac OS. Apple's software is not free. If it's an older iMac like G3, you probably need some Mac OS 9.2 or something - that's no longer available and not supported anymore. If it's an iMac like G4 or G5, you are better off running a Mac OS X, more like Panther 10.3 or even 10.4. Currently in stores there's Mac OS X "Tiger" 10.4, and it sells for about 129 Euro.

ah rite, though it had something to do with that alright....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

tom_ass19 wrote:
    oh ya theres a noise aswell, it clicks inside, not from the speakers but from the hardware itself from what i can hear....

The floppy / ? plus a click from inside . . mmm . . Hard Disk faulty ?

As MacOS is the only OS the Mac comes supplied with could you take this to mean you are automatically licensed to use MacOS if you own a Mac in which case someone could loan you a CD to re-install when you replace the drive ?!

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garymidgley

Don't know much about mac's either but when you get it working again have a look at http://www.macwindows.com

You see this annoys me.... As an extensive user of both windows and mac operating systems, i much prefer Mac OS X, so why would you suggest integrating Mac and Windows, anyone who is a true Mac user, would much prefer to keep these apart.

I even draw the line at installing Microsoft Office for Mac on my system.

Never should they integrate........

cheers guys, its all sorted, im gettin a mac os sent down to me in the post so that should fix the problem....thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

HomunQlus wrote:
    If theres a smiley like

:-(

on the screen, then that's a "Sad Mac". That means your hardware is faulty, basically that thing would be dead.

Incorrect.

Could mean the PRAM battery is flat, could mean the system is faulty, could mean the hard drive is trashed, could mean there's a problem with the directory structure.......

ya see the os is fcuked up in it, need to do a reinstall so that should get it back working again hopefully......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

A G3 will run OS X

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote:
    A G3 will run OS X

Some G3s will run OS X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

hughchal wrote:
    Some G3s will run OS X

Why only some?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You see this annoys me....
    I even draw the line at installing Microsoft Office for Mac on my system.
    tom_ass19 wrote:
    I'm guessing that tom_ass19 knows about windows, and it seemed like a half way house..

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html - this won't work on the IMac though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

hughchal wrote:
    Some G3s will run OS X

Assuming memory requirements are met, what G3 won't?

rsynnott wrote:
    Assuming memory requirements are met, what G3 won't?

depending on which version of os x, any G3 without a DVD drive won't. Early iMacs might be a problem too. I have 10.2 just about running on an iMac rev c, very slowly.

Perhaps I should have qualified my original statement by saying that you can't install OS X on ome G3 machines without something like XpostFacto

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11168

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

hughchal wrote:
    depending on which version of os x, any G3 without a DVD drive won't. Early iMacs might be a problem too. I have 10.2 just about running on an iMac rev c, very slowly.

Perhaps I should have qualified my original statement by saying that you can't install OS X on ome G3 machines without something like XpostFacto

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11168

Indeed. Bear in mind, also, that 10.3 and 10.4 should probably run faster on a G3 than earlier versions, because of reduced Altivec dependence.

Advertisement