Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handball courts.

Options
  • 24-01-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Looking for some handball courts around limerick, 40x20 ones that we could use.
    Nearest to castletroy/city if possible.

Anyone know of any or have any contact info? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Should be something in UL, give the arena a call..

The CIE club in Carey's Rd might have some also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I know there is an outdoor one in Newport, it actually has a nice walk around it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Should be something in UL, give the arena a call..

The CIE club in Carey's Rd might have some also..

Nope there's not. They play one wall in the old pess building but there's no courts here.

Its racquetball we're looking to play in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

garv123 wrote: »
    Nope there's not. They play one wall in the old pess building but there's no courts here.

Its racquetball we're looking to play in them.
    `
    I know there is a very good one in Cappagh, but thats a good bit from where your looking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Think the CIE Club indoor one is still available for use.

Anyone know are the handball-alleys in the old CBS (Central college at Sexton St, back of the school buildings, gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Yep, the CIE club handball courts are available for public use. You'll need to to ring and book a time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    Yep, the CIE club handball courts are available for public use. You'll need to to ring and book a time slot.

Is that official about being available for public use ?
    Id love to hear more details as I've been in the place
    and got interrogated by some crazy old bloke in a bus driver uniform
    asking me 20 Questions.

I went to the CIE club once with a workmate to try Squash for the first time.
    There was a lad behind the bar who let us into the place and wrote our names into a notebook to book our time in the court and we were charged 3-4 euros to use the facilities. (it was fantastic and we had a great time)

we re-booked the following week and he wrote our names and time down on his book, but when we turned up the following week he completely blanked us and pretended he had never seen us ever and he produced a different book saying he had no record of us (despite us seeing him write it down in "a" book) It appeared to me that the Bar Man was keeping his own books making a few quid off the public then denying everything when actual CIE club members turned up to use the facilities. The BBBaaaaasssttard.

Re: Handball courts........ Heard there was a popular one around the Nenagh area, there used to be one in Weston area(outdoors) and South Hill area, Last I heard the UL one was closed,
    Sarsfield Barracks had a handball court too at one stage (but I assume not available to public)

~B

Think we got sorted, looks like theres a handball/racquetball club in newport so calling out there next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Think we got sorted, looks like theres a handball/racquetball club in newport so calling out there next week.

Whereabouts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Advertisement

Whereabouts?

Newport, Tipperary is all i know. Google maps says its only 15 mins from UL so wont be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

There is a Handball alley in Bohermore, Ballysimon about 5 miles from the city. 15 min drive from Castletroy has just been refurbished with showers etc and you pay through a token, you can collect the keys/token from one of the local lads who lives near the alley. It's next to the school and church

Put "Bohermore, Limerick, Ireland" into google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Agent_99 wrote: »
    There is a Handball alley in Bohermore, Ballysimon about 5 miles from the city. 15 min drive from Castletroy has just been refurbished with showers etc and you pay through a token, you can collect the keys/token from one of the local lads who lives near the alley. It's next to the school and church

Put "Bohermore, Limerick, Ireland" into google maps
    Very nice alley to play in alright,
    Bohermores 60X30 so its bigger than the alley the OP was looking for.

If you really want 40X20 your going to have to go to Gallbally or Cappagh which are a fair bit out from castletroy,

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gallee

Limerick Lawn Tennis Club on the Ennis Road has a great squash court and are crying out for members.

Gallee wrote: »
    Limerick Lawn Tennis Club on the Ennis Road has a great squash court and are crying out for members.

Wheres abouts is that? we were on about a few games of squash too but UL use their courts for storage. any idea if you can rent gear for the odd game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There is an outdoor handball alley just off of Childers road a few hundred metres down from Punches Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

I play racketball in Bohermore, grand set-up, good alley to play in, so long as you're not looking for anything too fancy its perfect. At 60x30, its bigger than you asked about though, we generally play doubles and when I have played singles there you'd be pretty wrecked.
    I can PM you contact details of the lad looking after it if interested.

I play racketball in Bohermore, grand set-up, good alley to play in, so long as you're not looking for anything too fancy its perfect. At 60x30, its bigger than you asked about though, we generally play doubles and when I have played singles there you'd be pretty wrecked.
    I can PM you contact details of the lad looking after it if interested.

Think we got sorted, Newport have a club of 30/40 people and have 4 courts so we're gonna head out there and see how it goes.

I played from when i was 9-17 and its tough enough in the 20x40 not to mind the 40x60, I'd keel over

Are there many of ye playing out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Think we got sorted, Newport have a club of 30/40 people and have 4 courts so we're gonna head out there and see how it goes.

I played from when i was 9-17 and its tough enough in the 20x40 not to mind the 40x60, I'd keel over

Are there many of ye playing out there?

Mostly we play handball in Bohermore and a bit of hurling in the winter to sharpen up.
    Not many out this side playing racketball im afraid

Anyone a number for the CIE place to book courts?
    Or where is it ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone a number for the CIE place to book courts?
    Or where is it ? :D

Carey's Road.

P: +353 61 414216

Is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Aboy Garv ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nm75

Hi Yflyer
    The CIE club is still open from 5pm most weeknights,
    You'll rarely/never get an answer ringing the number, mostly you'll have to call in & book the court, You'll have to ask for a guy John Somers.
    Cheers

Advertisement