Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs in Accountancy in the West

• 07-01-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help and hoping this is the right place for this. So basically the story is as follows:

I am currently employed by one of the big 4 accounting firms on a training contract for three years until later this year. I am getting on quite well there with high ratings etc. Done the FAEs last September and unfortunately failed the audit elective so have to repeat that this year. All seems good but I have one problem. I'm living in Dublin the last two and bit years and I cannot settle here. I actually physically hate the thought of coming back here every weekend (I go home every weekend). Before people start trying to convince me of the good side of living here it won't work, I've tried everything and I just can't settle here.

So what I am hoping to do is to work out the remainder of my contract and then leave to find work closer to home (in the Mayo/Sligo area). What are the job prospects like around here for me? I understand repeating the audit elective will dampen my prospects but would it still be possible to find a job? What kind of jobs can I even look for? I'm confused as to what an ACA can do if I'm honest and am worried I will have nothing to go home to after working hard and sticking it out up here for 3 years. I know of a few ACCA accountants at home but I'm assuming I can't work here if I'm ACA? What about large factories/companies? Do they hire ACAs?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I know of a few ACCA accountants at home but I'm assuming I can't work here if I'm ACA?

Your ACA qualification is highly portable. You should have plenty of options open to you for practice jobs, and all size of companies will be willing to take on ACAs. It is a very highly regarded qualification.

You can definitely join ACCA practices. ACCA’s do join Big 4 as well, just not as trainees.

So, get your CV out there.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Confused Accountant

smcgiff wrote: »
    Your ACA qualification is highly portable. You should have plenty of options open to you for practice jobs, and all size of companies will be willing to take on ACAs. It is a very highly regarded qualification.

You can definitely join ACCA practices. ACCA’s do join Big 4 as well, just not as trainees.

So, get your CV out there.

Good Luck.

Thanks, that's really boosted my confidence. One quick follow up question, my parents are both sole traders and their accountant is an ACCA and (as far as I know) everyone in his practice (around 10-15 people) are ACCAs (I can confirm this). Anyway I know him pretty well and another friend of mine works there. Would it be possible for me to work here as an ACA? I know it's a long shot but I would like to ask him just don't want to look stupid asking if it's not even possible for him to employ me as an ACA (ie are practices either all ACCA or ACA?)

Probably a stupid question from someone in my position but it's one I've never asked until now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I work in industry in the west.

Totally, as previous poster mentioned your brand of qualification will have little impact in an interview.

Experience
    Study
    Communication
    Professionalism
    Personality

All the above in that order id be looking for in an interview.

We take on all sorts, qualy, part qualy. Cima acca cpa aca.

Do you like practice?

If so. Print up cvs,
    Walk in to practices, mention is the boss around, tell them the story. 5 mins and walk out the door.

Ps, i got lucky that way once. Had a job walking out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I think bosses today are too busy to go looking for help.

Perfect! Cheers for the help and I'd appreciate any other advice people have...

I think I'm in a fairly good position aside from failing the audit elective (which a LOT did this year). I have good experience being big 4 trained, I'm very highly graded in there consistently and they've already offered to keep me on as I work on our largest client. But as I say I just can't settle in Dublin and want to move home if possible so hopefully I can get something sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Perfect! Cheers for the help and I'd appreciate any other advice people have...

I think I'm in a fairly good position aside from failing the audit elective (which a LOT did this year). I have good experience being big 4 trained, I'm very highly graded in there consistently and they've already offered to keep me on as I work on our largest client. But as I say I just can't settle in Dublin and want to move home if possible so hopefully I can get something sorted :)

Explain this to your manager tell them youd love to stay but need to move home as you can't settle. They would be able to help you out and could give you some helpful advice. Don't forget especially in the big 4 higher level staff will have connections everywhere. Someone will surely be able to help you out and might be able to introduce you to some of those contacts in the west.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Explain this to your manager tell them youd love to stay but need to move home as you can't settle. They would be able to help you out and could give you some helpful advice. Don't forget especially in the big 4 higher level staff will have connections everywhere. Someone will surely be able to help you out and might be able to introduce you to some of those contacts in the west.

Oh I will certainly explain that the job has really nothing to do with why I will be leaving it's purely that I just don't see myself being happy here (nothing I can explain or put my finger on just the way I am). I'm actually surprised at how sound most of the partners etc. are for such a big company and when talking this over with them in the coming months may broach the subject of a job down the line if circumstances change/I decide to give it another go up here in a couple of years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Would you consider big 4/10 in the west? Your experience there could be fairly sought after, although with the smaller numbers in the offices it may be hard to get in but no harm in trying.

Advertisement