Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition Barrel Bracket

Options
  • 10-10-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to replace the ignition barrel in my FTO but I'm unsure about how the pins are removed. The pins need to be in tact so the can be placed back in, so cutting or drilling isn't an option.

Does anyone know how to remove 'em?

Regards,

TzhTHeT.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

They are shear off bolts. The heads come off when they hit the correct torque. It's an anti theft thing. Use a pin punch on the side of the head and try and rotate it using a hammer and the pin punch.

They won't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

As far as I know they are break away bolts as in the head breaks away once it hits a certain torque when been tightened.
    If they are those, the only way to remove them is either drilling out or welding a bolt to them.

Trad got there before me and with a better technique than mine for DIYing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Theyre shear bolts. There would have beena head on the end that is simply snapped off at the correct tightening torque. Im afraid they are an awful job on any car. Yours are in holes too so hitting them round the edge is not really workable. It looks like drilling the bolts (And biblical patience) is the only way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

If I was to go ahead and drill it, what can go in its place once the new ignition barrel has been fitted?

Thanks for the speedy replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Get a drill bit roughly as wide as the head. Youll only need to drill far enough in to weaken the head and have it snap off. (like a rivet) and neednt risk any threads. Once theyre off, the bracket will come apart in two halves and tge two shafts will now, as you only drilled enough to remove the heads, be protruding by about 5-10 mm from their holes so even if theyre tight, a small vice grip will take them out. They can nearly always unscrew out by hand though. Then you have a choice. Use another pair of shear bolts or get round head allen key bolts that can be removed again should the need arise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement