Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear right brake caliper sticking

Options
  • 09-10-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

The rear right brake caliper is sticking in my car (97 Civic). This is noticeable if the car is parked up for a few days because say driving it to wherever I'm going, I can smell the pad when I get out of the car and the wheel is hotter than it should be. Also, the tension on the handbrake feels 'different' so I can judge that its possible sticking abit. Whilst doing a few jobs on my car this evening I noticed that the rear right pad was worn out whilst the rest have a good while left on them.

Now, this is not new to me with this car. I had this problem before and about 3 years ago at this stage I replaced the both rear calipers and brake discs (left was sticking a small bit but the right was worse). Now the same thing is creeping in again and I'm wondering why.

We were able to force the rear right wheel to turn with the handbrake on this evening (not the left) but I put that down to that pad being almost worn out.

Whats happening to make the rear right caliper stick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Seized / sticking handbrake cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Avns1s wrote: »
    Seized / sticking handbrake cable.

I'd a feeling it would be that, just looking for a 2nd (more qualified) opinion.

Is there anyway to remedy that without replacing the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Does it have brake pads or shoes? The shoes have a habbit of sticking after washing or being parked for a time mainly in cold weather. If you're handy with spanners etc you could try cleaning them up a little. Just been looking at this seems straight forward enough to diy.

Apologies, its brake calipers on the rear wheels, brake & handbrake operate the calipers. No drum! :o

My father is suggesting getting at the cable from the handbrake side and working WD40 down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Dempsey wrote: »
    Apologies, its brake calipers on the rear wheels, brake & handbrake operate the calipers. No drum! :o

My father is suggesting getting at the cable from the handbrake side and working WD40 down the line.

From experience you're wasting your time trying to free it with WD40. The only solution is replacement once you confirm that it's the problem. That should be easy enough to do once you disconnect it from the brake itself. You'll be able to see what happens when the handbrake is pulled up and how hard it is to pull it back by hand once the handbrake is released.

They shouldn't be that expensive, I'm guessing less than €50 for the Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

rear disks on a 97 civic? Most standards models had drums. Is it a vti or a type r?

Anyway if you do have disks in the back it could be a sticking calliper. It's a common occurrence. In hondas of that vintage.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    rear disks on a 97 civic? Most standards models had drums. Is it a vti or a type r?

Anyway if you do have disks in the back it could be a sticking calliper. It's a common occurrence. In hondas of that vintage.

Its a 1.5l LSi VTEC, English assembled.

As I said, the calipers are relatively new and they arent the issue and neither is the brake cable because I did the pads there this evening and the cables were free as a bird!

What I did notice was a build up of dust and crap under the pad retainers (wedging the inside pad) and the the sleeves for the caliper bolts needed re greasing as they werent moving freely as they should. So hopefully that will sort the sticking issue that I'm having.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Its a 1.5l LSi VTEC, English assembled.

As I said, the calipers are relatively new and they arent the issue and neither is the brake cable because I did the pads there this evening and the cables were free as a bird!

What I did notice was a build up of dust and crap under the pad retainers (wedging the inside pad) and the the sleeves for the caliper bolts needed re greasing as they werent moving freely as they should. So hopefully that will sort the sticking issue that I'm having.
    ah yes some of those do indeed have disks in the back. It's the 3 and 4 door models i had in my head for some reason.

The Lucas callipers don't seem to give much issues in those five door versions actually. Maybe the pads need to be ground down a bit around the edges as the might be too tight in the carrier. That could cause them to stick too.

Advertisement