Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Ford Focus - wires at front door hinge

Options
  • 07-10-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I'm not a mechanic or close to it :)

The central locking won't unlock the driver's door, nor will the speaker in the driver's door work.

It looks like there's a tear in this rubber hose type thing filled with wires between the body of the car and the door itself, and some of the wires are damaged or torn.

I could probably solder them back together if access was better.

So... if I undo the screw that prevents the door from opening beyond a certain point, will anything get bent or damaged?

Does this bunch of cables have a name? Am I better off replacing them?

Is it a straightforward swap enough or does the door have to come off?

Thanks,

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

you could repair the wires if you wanted but it will be difficult as they are always bending/moving at that particular point when opening or shutting the door, the best solution in my opinion would be to replace the drivers door wiring loom. The door doesnt have to come off to remove the wiring loom. If you remove the screw for the check-strap the door will open a very small amount further but there is a risk the door could hit the wing

Just out of intrest is there any scratches or marks on the outside of the door or the wing around where that wiring loom is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

a lot of car thieves are cutting through these wires to gain entry to the car....are you sure somebody hasnt cut through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Maztech

That sounds about right guys. This is a more and more common way thieves are trying to gain entry to cars, running a long blade between the wing and door and cutting through the wiring in the hope that it shorts the correct wires and popping open the locks.
    Have had entry of experience of this in my line in the last couple of years and this sound like another classic example unfortunately.
    Good idea to check the door/wing line area as mentioned by hiluxman..,,a real tell tale sign of an undesirable attempting to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Paddypowered

L200's and landcruisers....notorious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, when it comes to wiring like that. If you're not already comfortable with diy and wiring it's usually easier just to have a pro do it while you look.
    It's not a very expensive but may take some time to fix. Check with a few local auto electricians.

• Advertisement
Advertisement