Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 VW Passat - Driver Side Wing Mirror

• 07-10-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice on where to start and what to do?

The driver side wing mirror got knocked off by passerby and went to a VW garage in Cabra and got new wing mirror

I thought everything worked ok, but it failed NCT due to indicator in the mirror.

Took it back to them and they spent a whole day and 400e later to say they couldn't find the problem.

I've checked bulb and fuses and have measured for 12v on the output but its not there.

The garage never checked to see if the source 12v was present and I'm reluctant to try and take dash off (more afraid I wont get it back on)

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The indicator worked fine before the old mirror was broken ?

You got a brand new mirror from VW and the indicator didn't work? then they took 400e off you to investigate why? I'd go back in via the sales floor and talk very loudly until it was sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

tossy wrote: »
    The indicator worked fine before the old mirror was broken ? YEP

You got a brand new mirror from VW and the indicator didn't work? YEP
    then they took 400e off you to investigate why? LABOUR

I'd go back in via the sales floor and talk very loudly until it was sorted.

They said I'd have to leave it with them longer and there was no guarantee it would be resolved even at that! I think they put 2 young apprentices on it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Yes but my point is the charged you 400e labour to investigate why a new part wasn't working?? I would have just asked for a replacement to rule out the fact the new mirror isn't dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

My father collected the car! I was livid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

kaisersoze wrote: »
    My father collected the car! I was livid.

So would I be paying out 400 euro for it not to work.

It can't be that difficult to see if their is voltage at wing mirror and trace it back if there isn't.

After all the indicators are all on the same circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my mind the new part they sold you wasn't working. To charge 400 to "investigate" why their part isn't working seems strange..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

cannot imagine how electrical connector looks like, but if you take it off, and connect directly (through fused wire ) ( assume there is bulbs in it ... which are tested and you know them is working) to battery , see is it working. if it does, then check with voltmeter connector , where it connect up in door. could be just connector broke inside. had similar problem with other cars indicator ... turned out connector was broken, and indicator one connector "leg" didnt went right in to slot. me thinks it is connector fault, which needs to be looked over, and properly tested.

EDIT :

also could be broken wire in rubber gator where wires goes from door to car.... actually common problem for vw.

Advertisement