Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenge!

Options
  • 03-08-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Today I got a spam/fraudulent mail via Car buyers Guide, I'm selling my car at the moment and have it advertised on their site. This is the mail:
    */Disclaimer: reading the exerpt below may hurt your eyes :D

hello... seller i saw your advert i want to buy it from you so let me the
    condition and the last prices so that i will make arrangement fast,
    i will like to hear from you fast.. i do want you to know that i am okay with
    the condition as the final asking price and the present
    condition....i am buying this for my Cousin and i am a petroleum
    engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to be
    a surprise gift for my Cousin so i won't let him know anything
    about this until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he
    will be more than happy with it. I can only pay with bank draft,
    i will need you to give me your address and the name you want on
    the bank draft so i can send the bank draft for the payments as soon
    as possible .I will be hoping to hear from you. Note well: Pick up
    agent will come for the pick up as soon as i have made the payments,
    i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i am a petroleum
    engineer I work mainly or work mainly offshore, our phone is down
    on the rig right now due to bad weather, we can only communicate
    with our base for now. Thanks and i will be expecting your address
    soon

NAME....................

ADDRESS.................

STATE...................

POST CODE..............

COUNTRY................

LAST PRICE.............

TEL NUMBER............

I will ensure that you receive payment at least in 6 working days.
    As regards the pick up,as soon as you confirm to me that the
    bank draft is cleared to your account, i will inform my agent shipper
    to come for the collect immediately. Delete the advert from where
    you placed it on internet because i m ready to pay and
    consider it sold to my to me.

The cheek! They are clearly trying to steal my car or identity/personal info! So, in revenge, does anyone have any suggestions re what to do?
    I'm thinking maybe giving a fake collection address or something, not very creative I know.....:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

what car are you selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

i am buying this for my Cousin and i am a petroleum
    engineer currently on a rig offshore

Say that you're also on an oil rig in the North Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Send them a bowl of vichyssoise. I've heard revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I dunno OP, he seems legit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Just send em some fake info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Essien wrote: »
    I dunno OP, he seems legit

really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

send him the details for ivor callely's constituency office. that cnut would probably try to cash the draft too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

WIZE wrote: »
    what car are you selling

I preferred your sarcastic post. The edited version is far too sugary.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Give them the address of a Garda station without saying its a station, and tell them you're leaving the keys inside.

WIZE wrote: »
    what car are you selling

A Mazda MX5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

really???

Come on now,your a detective,figure it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Send me your bank account details and I'll think of something!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Some random kid aged about 16 from England started randomly abusing me on the internets, so I went to his profile where he had a link to his facebook profile and low and behold I got a link to his mothers facebook and sent her a picture of the abuse. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

A car version of this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

give him fake info and a rural address somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Send him your ex's info.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

el judìo wrote: »
    give him fake info and a rural address somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

How about the local garda station, see if they're selling a car he'd be interested in.

Fago! wrote: »
    Send him your ex's info.

Hmmm, not bad Fago.
    T'was a bummer. Only bit of interest I had in the car, and it's some dufus trying to rob me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Greener

Something like this happened to someone I know a while ago.

They emailed her something similar and she thought it was legit (was somewhat better presented than that slop he sent you, its like he's trying to be found out) and she emailed him back saying how do they arrange payment.

He said he can give a bank draft or a cheque or something. grand job. She sent him the details. Next thing he says 'oh sorry i forgot to tell you. Im sending you on a draft for 3000e (the item was for sale for 500e) because the draft was sent to me by someone who owes me money. You can take your 500 out of it and will you send the rest back to me. (You can see where this is going cant you...)

She thought, fair enough, your mans very trustworthy, he's trusting me with his 2500. so the draft clears into her bank ac then she forwards the rest on to his address. The item for sale is never collected.

three weeks later AIB tell her the account is overdrawn by 3000e.

End of the story it was AIBs fault because they let her cash the moola before giving it 3 days or 10 days or whatever it is to clear. And because she didnt have an overdraft they werent allowed to take the money as an overdraft.

But she was very lucky, in different circumstances she probably would have been liable, especially as this was nearly 10 years ago and the banks have copped on by now that they arent going to be responsible for that kinda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

get a exact Matchbox copy and tell him you can post it to his cousin after the bank cheque has cleared.

• Advertisement

Greener wrote: »
    Something like this happened to someone I know a while ago.

They emailed her something similar and she thought it was legit (was somewhat better presented than that slop he sent you, its like he's trying to be found out) and she emailed him back saying how do they arrange payment.

He said he can give a bank draft or a cheque or something. grand job. She sent him the details. Next thing he says 'oh sorry i forgot to tell you. Im sending you on a draft for 3000e (the item was for sale for 500e) because the draft was sent to me by someone who owes me money. You can take your 500 out of it and will you send the rest back to me. (You can see where this is going cant you...)

She thought, fair enough, your mans very trustworthy, he's trusting me with his 2500. so the draft clears into her bank ac then she forwards the rest on to his address. The item for sale is never collected.

three weeks later AIB tell her the account is overdrawn by 3000e.

End of the story it was AIBs fault because they let her cash the moola before giving it 3 days or 10 days or whatever it is to clear. And because she didnt have an overdraft they werent allowed to take the money as an overdraft.

But she was very lucky, in different circumstances she probably would have been liable, especially as this was nearly 10 years ago and the banks have copped on by now that they arent going to be responsible for that kinda thing

that's mad! many dodgy scams out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tell him you only accept Western Union Money transfers or cash.

I would be interested to see what excuse they give for it not being possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

You will get a few tips on this site - http://www.thescambaiter.com/

These guys do it for fun.

Advertisement