Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not shameful to be Irish

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I think your right. I was in Italy recently too and I found the people a little ignorant and ... well, not as friendly as Irish people. I mean if you're in a shop in Italy and when you pay for your stuff they leave the change down on the counter in front of them for you to pick up yourself instead of giving the change into your hand, and they don't even say hello or goodbye. They don't have much sense of humour either. In Ireland, at least the person at the till would actually say something, like thank you, etc.. I mean I've gone nearly all over Europe now and the friendliest people I found were the Irish and the British (no joke, history aside they are quite pleasant people). And the food in most parts of Europe is shite too, well to me anyway. I've been to America too but I find the Americans just a little too false and they boast quite a lot. In the end, I think if I had to emigrate to some place abroad, I would never be ashamed of my roots, I would always identify myself as Irish and if anyone were to criticise where I'm from I'd still defend my homeland and ancestors. The country might be in a crap state at the moment but that doesn't beat the Irish spirit. We should be proud of who we are because basking for too long in negative self analysis isn't going to get us that far.

Tom Boylan - Spar owner, bridge St cavan... he does that too. nice guy though. He'll say hello before he throws your change on the counter instead of putting it into your hand.

I wonder if he has Italian ancestors? I'll ask him next time I'm in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apart from the fact it's the most polluted country in Europe and that it's overrun by tracksuit wearing pricks who would stab you in the neck as quick as look at you it's a great country.

Any links about Ireland being the most polluted country in Europe?

As for scumbags, they're everywhere. More in certain areas than others, and other countries have more of those 'certain areas' than Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Apart from the fact it's the most polluted country in Europe and that it's overrun by tracksuit wearing pricks who would stab you in the neck as quick as look at you it's a great country.

Most polluted country in Europe????? Track suit heads who would stab you????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

As for scumbags, they're everywhere. More in certain areas than others, and other countries have more of those 'certain areas' than Ireland

London is
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/25/london-air-pollution-europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

There is a nice place near where i live that i walk often. I have noticed a massive increase in fly tipping in the last 2 years. Prob the resession and the fact that the council doubled the cost of recycling plant right in the middle of the resession.

As this is the not shameful thread i better say something positive about our we damp sod....... its not that bad i suppose! (thats the best i can do i'm afraid).

Oh, its nice and green too...... and looks good when the sun shines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Like Ireland, like being Irish - Hate our representation, both nationally and internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There are plenty of times I have been ashamed (not to be Irish, but of the Irish themselves). Such as the boss at a US company telling me his store was robbed by J1's on their last day at work there, the hostel who refused myself and a friend because a few days earlier a gang of Irish had gotten pissed and trashed the place etc, the Irishman, who owned an Irish pub on the continent where running a tab was commonplace, telling me that the people who abuse the facility the most are the Irish tourists who were running up a tab on food and booze and running.

Have heard plenty of such tales. On their own it's not so bad, then you come back here and we revel in the attitude that 'sure, everyone loves the Irish'. We're burning through that credit big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

The OP was obviously hammered and unaware of what he was talking about because everyone here knows that Ireland sucks balls! Our weather, cost of living, government, transport, housing, construction industry, retail, etc is all terrible, why do you think everyone is leaving the country! It definitely isn't because they are spreading the word of how great our country is, thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

The OP was obviously hammered and unaware of what he was talking about because everyone here knows that Ireland sucks balls! Our weather, cost of living, government, transport, housing, construction industry, retail, etc is all terrible, why do you think everyone is leaving the country! It definitely isn't because they are spreading the word of how great our country is, thats for sure!

Have you been to Pakistan lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Have you been to Pakistan lately?

I dont understand why everyone is complaining about Pakistan at the moment, its perfect conditions for boogie boarding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

I dont understand why everyone is complaining about Pakistan at the moment, its perfect conditions for boogie boarding

New Australia - here the Irish backpacker, surfshort wearing young males and females of Ireland come!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Ush1 wrote: »
    Spanish do the same thing with the change. Alot of them aswell don't find it rude to bump off you while walking.:mad:

+1,000,000

They are the worst fúckers in the world for bumping into you. Especially the Catalans!!! :mad::mad::mad: In the rest of Spain, they'll at least make an effort to move their elbow/shoulder out of the way - basically a token courtesy-dodge. Not in ****ing Catalonia! Went to college in Barcelona and I just learned to plough on through them. I secretly look forward to the summer when the spoilt-brat-Spanish-teenagers are over here just so I can plough through a bunch of them and knock over two or three in the process. :D:D:D

To keep my post in line with the thread - the Irish are very nice about not bumping into you in the street and will try their best to dodge you - unless they have a buggy in which case footpath etiquette goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This can be applied to Ireland too...

It's a sad day when the best retort is a line from South Park that's actually taking the piss out of the very point you're trying to make...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

number10a wrote: »
    +1,000,000

They are the worst fúckers in the world for bumping into you. Especially the Catalans!!! :mad::mad::mad: In the rest of Spain, they'll at least make an effort to move their elbow/shoulder out of the way - basically a token courtesy-dodge. Not in ****ing Catalonia! Went to college in Barcelona and I just learned to plough on through them. I secretly look forward to the summer when the spoilt-brat-Spanish-teenagers are over here just so I can plough through a bunch of them and knock over two or three in the process. :D:D:D

To keep my post in line with the thread - the Irish are very nice about not bumping into you in the street and will try their best to dodge you - unless they have a buggy in which case footpath etiquette goes out the window.

Ever try jogging in the pheonix park (or any park) when the spainish summer students are in town!

They walk 4 or 5 across the path and even though they can see you jogging towards them for 50 yards or more - they never ever budge one bit. I used step passed them, then i took to swearing at them for not moving, now I just send them flying like skittles!

Advertisement