Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tutor led MCSA in Limerick or vacinity?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi folks

Anyone know where I can do a MCSA bootcamp course in Limerick (or shannon/Ennis). I'd rather do a tutor led one if at all possible rather than one of these online learning ones.

most of the courses i found seem to be online, are the online ones any good, is that the way everyone is doing them these days? (I've recently done an online accounting course and wasnt a big fan of the online medium)

lastly how difficult are they to pass? I've a few years experience in server administration at this stage. I've done A+ and Network+ (few years back now though). I'd be hoping I'm reasonably familiar with a lot of the ground they will cover. Just wondering how in depth they get or what the failure rate is even?

thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

PFH may do them in Cork. You'll be paying for the privilege though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

thanks for that

can i take it from the lack of classroom based suppliers that most people do them online these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

thanks for that

can i take it from the lack of classroom based suppliers that most people do them online these days?

Most people just pick up the book and start reading. They'll also use CBT nuggets and/or Pluralsight (formerly Trainsignals).

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Most people just pick up the book and start reading. They'll also use CBT nuggets and/or Pluralsight (formerly Trainsignals).

sorry your gonna have to spoon feed me this one...what book are you talking about?
    is it these ones?
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/store/installing-and-configuring-windows-server-2012-r2-training-9780735684331

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/store/exam-ref-mcsa-70-410-installing-and-configuring-windows-9780735684249
    thanks

Yup, the relevant certfication book. I'd do some research on the quality of them. Iirc, the quality had taken a dive after the 2008 books. Worth taking a read of amazon reviews for them or check out www.techexams.net/forums

• Advertisement

G'man thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I am just wondering how you got on. I done an interview today with FAS for this.
    It is a 30 week course. Well 24 weeks for the course. The rest work experience and preperation.
    I am wondering how long it would roughly take to self study? Or should I jump at the chance of doing it in class?
    At present I am MTA certified in Server, Networking and windows OS Fundamentals, plus I have a level 5 Fetac in Computer Architecure.

I am just wondering how you got on. I done an interview today with FAS for this.
    It is a 30 week course. Well 24 weeks for the course. The rest work experience and preperation.
    I am wondering how long it would roughly take to self study? Or should I jump at the chance of doing it in class?
    At present I am MTA certified in Server, Networking and windows OS Fundamentals, plus I have a level 5 Fetac in Computer Architecure.

Do it, I found it great. Like anything, the more you put in the more you get out. You can enroll and get your dole for the 30 weeks or you can some out the other side with a better chance of securing a job in IT.

Do it, I found it great. Like anything, the more you put in the more you get out. You can enroll and get your dole for the 30 weeks or you can some out the other side with a better chance of securing a job in IT.
    Cheers, I was just wondering if I would be quicker doing it myself.
    Did you go to FAS or self study? If Fas, How was your work experince, did it lead to a job?
    Thanks

Cheers, I was just wondering if I would be quicker doing it myself.
    Did you go to FAS or self study? If Fas, How was your work experince, did it lead to a job?
    Thanks

FAS route, it was good and I enjoyed it. I'd not studied for about 10 years before that so I found it helpful for getting back in to the routine of it. I didn't get a job from my work experience (thankfully I might add) but others in the class did. Since then I've gone the self study route for additional certs and university.

You could be quicker doing it yourself but it might be easier getting a job after your work experience through FAS.

• Advertisement

(thankfully I might add).

Why thankfully? :) I thinking of going to college myself. What are you studying?

I was doing PC/laptop maintenance in a horribly run business, I may have taken it at the time but not sure it would've been good for my career.

I'm doing a BSc in IT in DCU via the open education system. 2 classes monthly for each module, 1 online and 1 on-site. It suits me at this stage with a family and busy work schedule.

Advertisement