Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up bookkeeping business advice

Options
  • 05-01-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am looking for some advice on setting up an accounting services/bookkeeping business in the northeast area. I am a qualified accountant (ACCA) with over 14 years experience who has worked both in accountancy practice and in Finance Manager roles. I have always wanted to set up my own business and feel now is the right time to do so.

I have no interest at this point in time in setting up a practice (although I may in the future) therefore the services I would like to offer are a full bookkeeping service, prepare full management accounts, full payroll service, prepare budgets and cashflow reports, Monitor KPI’s etc. (services as I understand allowed by ACCA to be carried out by members who do not hold a practice cert). I want to provide a quality outsourced Financial controller service to companies who maybe cannot afford (or need ) a full time person. From working in practice I know there is a shortage out there of good bookkeepers. In the practice I worked in we repeatedly got accounts in from bookkeepers (who were charging high rates or on a large salary) who were far from complete or accurate. They provide a very basic service and do not add any value to the business.

The questions I am hoping you can help me with are as follows:

• Would accountancy practices be willing to refer their clients to me (clients who need this service) or outsource some of their work to me?
    • Are there any pitfalls that I should try to avoid?
    • Do you have any other advice on how to get quality clients?
    • Software – I think I am going to use sage 50 ( still undecided on this )as its easy to use for clients and myself - although reports on this package are quite poor. Do you have any other software recommendations?
    • Do you have any other relevant advice

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

My advice would be to get a practice cert. I have a small one women practice and I find the profit is in the year ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FC1

Immy. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It's doubtful practices would refer to you unless you know them. Why would they?

Secondly, get insurance. As a sole trader you are liable for the information you supply.

Obviously you should get a practice cert, it will increase what you can supply.

ACCA offer to approve prior learning if you can get a previous company to verify you. They would have to become ACCA approved though.

Advertisement