Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertray Fixings - Audi A4 HELP :-(

• 07-10-2013 1:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Longshot....

Anyone know where I could get a set of Audi A4 Undertray Fixings similar to the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A6-Undertray-Guard-Engine-Cover-Fixing-Fitting-Clips-Screw-KIT-/190778868956

I'm looking for a shop if possible...the ebay option will mean I cant drive for a while as the tray is scraping the ground occasionally. Have checked on Halfords and Micks Garage and cant seem to find that they have any.

Any help much appreciated, car is one week old (2nd hand) and already this has happened. Bought from a dealer up north and dont want to make the journey with it in its fragile state... quite disappointed needless to say :(

Thanks in advance for any help,

Muff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The all fall off the are sh1te lol

You will get the fixing from Audi, what i've always done is just used cable ties, a much better solution that the crappy plastic screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

S-Type plastic "chin" undertray fasteners are rather similar and go to buggery with corrosion after a number of years. I got similar little clips and stainless bolts at a local motor factors a while ago, and just made up my own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

thanks...may go down the cable tie route if possible until I get the eBay order.

is it possible to fix a cable tie though? thought it was just a hole through the plate and hole for the screw on the body?

If you get down under there with a light you will find plenty of things to cable tie it to.

Normal set up is there are 2 plastic pieces each side of the engine that are attached to the chassis legs - these never fall off and then there is one under tray that spans the gap between these 2 pieces - this always falls off.

I would just cable tie the plastic under tray to the pieces on the side - dril la few extra holes with a cordless drill and put a few extra ties in just to be sure.

Or...

Save your self a massive pain in the... and just remove the under tray altogether lol

tossy wrote: »
    ...Save your self a massive pain in the... and just remove the under tray altogether lol

Not a wonderful idea, I suspect - a lot of them incorporate air-ducting for cooling the front brake rotors.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not a wonderful idea, I suspect - a lot of them incorporate air-ducting for cooling the front brake rotors.

I think maybe on an RS6 or something yes.

We are talking about a flimsy piece of plastic...

m6W0C-CMapyJuwHCrP9__qQ.jpg

I think maybe on an RS6 or something yes.

We are talking about a flimsy piece of plastic...

m6W0C-CMapyJuwHCrP9__qQ.jpg

Indeed. Be handy for keeping stones and grit out of the serpentine belt and what-have-you, though.

Indeed. Be handy for keeping stones and grit out of the serpentine belt and what-have-you, though.

I think that's over thinking it slightly but fix it up for sure, nice to have the car looking factory. I'm on my 4th 5th VW/Audi and most of them didn't have it and i never had any problems, even with the ones closer to the ground :)

I think that's over thinking it slightly but fix it up for sure, nice to have the car looking factory. I'm on my 4th 5th VW/Audi and most of them didn't have it and i never had any problems, even with the ones closer to the ground :)

Nope, I'm not the fella with the Audi - my undertray has the brake rotor ducts, and I made my own fixings for it! :D

Nope, I'm not the fella with the Audi - my undertray has the brake rotor ducts, and I made my own fixings for it! :D

You need an Audi in your life lol

• Advertisement

You need an Audi in your life lol

Haven't driven an Audi since the 100LS. ;)

Haven't driven an Audi since the 100LS. ;)

There haven't been many as cool since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Get rid of the undertray op, you'll see other cars with them flapping a fair bit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

thanks for all the responses lads....

I did consider just taking the whole thing off, watched a few youtube clips like the following which convinced me it wouldnt be the best idea

apparently it does have various temperature regulation functions also...

its an s line so its near impossible to get under, putting it under two jacks and having a go is putting me up for a darwin award contender so I'm going to bite the bullet and take it back to the dealer and let him sort it. its only a week out of the dealership. i know sh*t happens to used cars but i swear im jinxed. my last new 2nd hand car was bought a week before the heavy snow in 2010...passenger window covered in snow, turning out of a car space and i drove the entire side of it up the front corner of a bmw parked alongside me.

Advertisement