Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of going to the cinema alone?...

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CosmicCrusader

I'd never go to the cinema alone, and it's not because of what others think. For me, going to the cinema is more about having a night out with friends as opposed to just seeing the movie. It's no fun unless your with a friend! . . . If I really wanted to see a movie that nobody else did, I'd just wait for the DVD and then watch it at home in bed with a cup of cocoa!
    That's my two cents anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Done this recently. Best thing ever was actually able to enjoy the film ( that I paid €10.50 for ) alot more than went out for a few drinks and met up with some people latter when I actually might want to talk. They way it should be done

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭conacur

One of the lads I work with goes to the cinema on his own but generally goes to the OAP screening of films. His excuse: "They never make a sound, there's absolutely no trouble with them & you can enjoy the movie". Slightly ageist me's thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

WindSock wrote: »
    I love going to a near empty cinema on my tobler. Hate the crowds.

I hate other people too. High five

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

orourkeda wrote: »
    I hate other people too. High five

Make that three of us, people are awful ***** altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I work in a cinema, so all the little things people do really annoy me, like feet on the seats, throwing food around, etc. so to keep myself from Killing them, i have to go to an earlier showing, and have gone on my own loads times, usually just before or after a shift.

However, one of the perks of the job is free entry for me + mates, so there is usually no shortage of friends who want to go with me, so I usually have friends with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Where else are you gonna go when you're pretending to go to college for the day? :confused:

Cinema all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

dannym08 wrote: »
    I work in a cinema, so all the little things people do really annoy me, like feet on the seats, throwing food around, etc. so to keep myself from Killing them, i have to go to an earlier showing, and have gone on my own loads times, usually just before or after a shift.

It's amazing how many people will actually hang their feet over seats, even when there is people sitting in that row.

In fact, sometimes they will even hang their feet over seats when they are dangling right beside other people :mad:

I find chair kickers to be more infuriating though, these people need to die.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people will actually hang their feet over seats, even when there is people sitting in that row.

In fact, sometimes they will even hang their feet over seats when they are dangling right beside other people :mad:

oh god don't get me started. I have a love/hate relationship with ushering, seeing them do those things on the CCTV drives me nuts, but going in and shining a torch in their face, threatening them with being kicked, seeing the 15 year olds ****ting themselves, helps the day do along faster:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hackysack wrote: »
    It's kind of a bit odd. It's kinda like going to a gig on your own as well.

It's all well and good doing it on your own, but I dunno, it's kinda better to share the experience with someone else when you're going through it at the same time.

I've gone to plenty of gigs on my own.

It's either that or miss out on a band that won't be back in town for god knows how long.

No brainer tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mcclain!

I mainly go by myself because people get ticked off when I start masturbating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely go to see a good film by myself, if company wasn't available.

Sitting right now, utterly naked in my executive leather chair, watching V in HD, sipping from a pint of 50/50 captain Morgans/Pepsi.

Was that necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcclain!

absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

It could be that the Irish have one of the highest rates for cinema audiences in Europe, so there is usually someone to go with so you shouldn't need to go by yourself. Also going to the cinema in Ireland is seen to be a very social thing to do (despite the un-social setting) so it's a little unusual for a person to do something that social by themselves.

Not that I have a problem with it I've done it a few times myself.

I hope that made sense I'm going to bed now feck the lot of ye :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

OutlawPete wrote: »

when is outlawpete's school of cinema etiquette opening up? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hardly strange, but nobody is not somebody and most would prefer to be with somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I've gone to see quite a few films on my tod. See no problem with it. Sure, it's great to have the shared viewing experience, but that's not always wanted, or available. Besides, the cinema isn't really a sociable outing. Sure people rightly view it as a bad first date idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say 9/10 times I've gone to the cinema it's been on my own. Much prefer that as I go to the cinema to engross myself in the film not to chit chat with friends.

A couple of times I've had idiots (teenagers or early twenties) stare/point/giggle at the "loser" who's there on his own. Dead easy to do this when there's safety in numbers, a skanger mentality really.

Once or twice I have been at films where I was the only person in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Once or twice I have been at films where I was the only person in the cinema.

The holy grail of cinema going! I've dreamed of the day I get the cinema to myself, but someone always walks in just as the movie is starting!

Actually, I did get a cinema to myself once but it was the tiny cinema on the ferry from France and the vibration from the engines made the projector shake so much the film was unwatchable...

nibtrix wrote: »

Actually, I did get a cinema to myself once but it was the tiny cinema on the ferry from France and the vibration from the engines made the projector shake so much the film was unwatchable...

If it was the Bourne Ultimatum it wasnt the engines unfortunately :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I go to the cinema on my own, but just incase I get judged, I get food for 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Well at least if you go alone you know damn well the popcorn trick is gonna work on yourself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I have friends who think I'm sad because I'll watch a movie by myself at home :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I have friends who think I'm sad because I'll watch a movie by myself at home :confused::confused:

To be honest that's the best way to watch a 'bluey' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I have absolutely no problem going to the cinema on my own, really like going on my own tbh.
    As generally if I do go on my own, it will be early in the day, so I'll avoid the crowds.

Went to see a film one day and I was the only person in the cinema, was like my own private showing.
    The film was awful and I fell asleep, but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Seriously, Whats wrong with that?!
    tis usually the scangers who say " ah jaysus, ya big lona" to doing anything on your own tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I went to see Frost/Nixon on my own.

...and i mean on my own! Had the whole cinema to myself on a Tuesday evening! :D

What's the problem with going to see a film on your own anyway. It's not as if you'll be having a conversation with the person you went with during the film. Same with gigs for that matter. I've gone to a few gigs on my own and I got as much enjoyment out of it as I have done when I went with a bunch of friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Its very rare that I go to the cinema accompanied, although I did do it twice this week. Had to explain what was going on on both occasions which really did my head in! If he wasnt such a nice bloke and if she wasn't so pretty I wouldnt go to the cinema with either of them again ;o)

Advertisement