Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducting in Foundation

Options
  • 27-02-2015 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi

I am drawing up a list for ducting to install before the slab is poured.

Seems a bit extreme (worried plant room will be a duct jungle!) but is there anything else I am missing?

Is it Red ESB ducting that should be used for all power/tv stuff?

Do I need a separate duct for power and alarm to garage or just the one?

Plantroom
    1. ESB
    2. NTL
    3. Eircom
    4. Spare
    5. Electric Gates
    6. Power to Foul Pumpsation
    7. Power to Rainwater harvesting
    8. Power to the garden (lights etc)
    9. Power to the Rear of the house (outside socket)
    10. Power to Rear garden
    11. Power to the front of the house (lighting)
    12. Power to Garage.
    13. Alarm to Garage
    14. Heat dump for Buffer tank (110mm)
    15. Heating Duct for insulated flow and return from Buffer tank to Garage (Perhaps better in the insulation layer)
    16. Domestic hot water to the garage from DHW tank (Perhaps better in the insulation layer)

Water
    17. Mains Water to all sinks (kitchen, kitchen island, utility, bathroom)
    18. Water Line from Rainwater harvesting tank into the house
    19. Water out to external Tap at the garage from tank in the attic
    20. Water out to external tap at the rear of the house from tank in the attic
    21. Mains water for Buffer Tank (Plant Room)
    22. Mains Water for upstairs (Plant Room)

Foul Sewage (All outlets to be 110m)
    23. Kitchen
    o Sink
    o Sink in Island
    24. Utility
    o Sink
    o Washing machine
    25. Bathroom
    o Toilet
    o Sink
    o Shower
    26. Water out to external tap at the rear of the house from tank in the attic

Gas
    27. Gas to boiler
    28. Gas to kitchen
    Other
    29. Radon Sump
    30. External Air Duct For Stove (110mm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Wont be much slab :)
    re Water
    17. Mains Water to all sinks (kitchen, kitchen island, utility, bathroom)
    18. Water Line from Rainwater harvesting tank into the house
    19. Water out to external Tap at the garage from tank in the attic
    20. Water out to external tap at the rear of the house from tank in the attic
    21. Mains water for Buffer Tank (Plant Room)
    22. Mains Water for upstairs (Plant Room)

AKAIK most LA rules are rising main to 1 tap only.

Re air duct
    best practice is to run this to both sides of house to reduce risk of neg pressure on leeward side in a storm

What ever you do try ensure no water can lodge in any of these ducts, woeful breeding ground for bugs

Only thing that occurs is CCTV to outside and a TV point in kennel :)

Tes, keep alarm cables away from power cables , especially any circuits with fluorescent.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Wont be much slab :)
    re Water

AKAIK most LA rules are rising main to 1 tap only.

Re air duct
    best practice is to run this to both sides of house to reduce risk of neg pressure on leeward side in a storm

What ever you do try ensure no water can lodge in any of these ducts, woeful breeding ground for bugs

Only thing that occurs is CCTV to outside and a TV point in kennel :)

Tes, keep alarm cables away from power cables , especially any circuits with fluorescent.

Thanks a mill...very helpful

Sounds extreme on the external air. Stove is at the corner of a room with two external walls. Might it be ok to run ducting to either side of the corner?

Re the stove, there are lego type flues which have the air intake in a duct beside the fire flue all the way up, this also solves the neg pressure issue, which ireal depending on house exposure and topography .
    Let me look
    http://www.schiedel.co.uk/products/ceramic-products-and-systems/chimney-systems/schiedel-swift

-snip-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Re the stove, there are lego type flues which have the air intake in a duct beside the fire flue all the way up, this also solves the neg pressure issue, which ireal depending on house exposure and topography .
    Let me look
    http://www.schiedel.co.uk/products/ceramic-products-and-systems/chimney-systems/schiedel-swift

-snip-

I used the above chimney, One warning I'll give is make sure the chimney doesn't need a bend as one can't be got for this kit system. Rep neglected to mention that and it caused the world of issues on site. If you can go with an intake in the floor there is no need whatsoever to use this system. I used it as that wasn't an option with my build.

hexosan wrote: »
    I used the above chimney, One warning I'll give is make sure the chimney doesn't need a bend as one can't be got for this kit system. Rep neglected to mention that and it caused the world of issues on site. If you can go with an intake in the floor there is no need whatsoever to use this system. I used it as that wasn't an option with my build.

Good point.
    The neg pressure is is a problem as we make houses more airtight.

If the flue terminates high enough so as to be beyond the negative pressure bubble, then its not an issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement