Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cottage Renovation - real cost prices help

Options
  • 07-10-2014 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, this is my first post. Help on this board is great, but very few if any one has posted approximate costing in euros respecting renovations/building on cottages.

I'm buying a traditional 2 bed stone cottage (bungalow) I could use some help on costings for renovations. There's plenty of people here I am sure who could help.

I could use some ballpark figure info on cost of re-roofing (totally redone) a roof of 80sq metres and 3 chimneys (keeping them). Roof will be slate and pitched.

I have lots more to ask but thought I would start with this.

any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hi, this is my first post. Help on this board is great, but very few if any one has posted approximate costing in euros respecting renovations/building on cottages.

I'm buying a traditional 2 bed stone cottage (bungalow) I could use some help on costings for renovations. There's plenty of people here I am sure who could help.

I could use some ballpark figure info on cost of re-roofing (totally redone) a roof of 80sq metres and 3 chimneys (keeping them). Roof will be slate and pitched.

Would you not hire the services of a Quantity Surveyor?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

the cost of repair will depend on the exact layout of the property. When you say a traditional stone cottage, is there any orders on it for protection. In order to insulate it propoerly you will need to use breathable solutions like calsitherm boards etc (very expensive) and the roof cost could be substantial if there is alot of leadwork and matching slates are required given you will break a good quantity of them removing them.

I would hire a QS to have a look and do you a costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cottagebound

Hi. The entire roof needs replaced. The cottage is not protected and is of no particular historical value. I don't feel the need for a quantity surveyor as there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have renovated similar cottages throughout Ireland and who know how much it cost them. It seems they don't frequent this discussion board though?

I am simply wanting to know what it cost others to renovate a 3 bed, single storey cottage with new roof and insulation. I estimate it will cost about 30-40,000 euro but it would be great if that estimation was reflected by others who are doing or did the same thing.

If anyone has done such a renovation would they let me know? I know it's difficult to gauge what someone else's reno might cost but our cottage is similar to many others.
    We have costed the roof and the windows. We just want to know we are in the ballpark and that our costings are not too conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Take in to account that most of the price depends on spec. and materials used. The building can look same, but location, condition and what You expect is different from what other similar home owners have.
    I say around 1000-1500 euro/m2 You can count on, depending where You based.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cottagebound

thank you - back of beyond, Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Pearkore

Hi, How is the project going. I am thinking of taking on a samll 2 bedroom cottage too. Want to put on a large extension. Was quoted €120,000. Does this seem right? afraid that it will be more. With the cost of planning, architects and QS. Any one got an better idea of price? I am in Galway too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Pearkore wrote: »
    Hi, How is the project going. I am thinking of taking on a samll 2 bedroom cottage too. Want to put on a large extension. Was quoted €120,000. Does this seem right? afraid that it will be more. With the cost of planning, architects and QS. Any one got an better idea of price? I am in Galway too.

Large extension = x msq ??

What % cost of the work is in the existing house ?

This is what the EA spec's say:
    Porch

Living room: 15’9” x 10’7”
    Dining room: 17’ x 16’5”
    With solid fuel stove
    Kitchenette: 15’10” x 5’11”
    Fitted kitchen units, stainless steel sink unit.
    Bedroom 1: 9’ x 7’
    Bedroom 2: 8’11” x 8’11”
    Bedroom 3: 11’3” x 9’3”
    Bathroom: Wc, whb.

Needs to be gutted, hasent been touched since the 1950's so we are thinking large extension, either for living or bedrooms keeping one area in the new or old. So extension would prop be kitchen, and sitting room and prob one bed room.

Thanks for the help.

You were quoted 120,000€ for renovation alone? Or Reno and:
    BryanF wrote: »
    Large extension = x msq ??
    You do know this EA is not working for you?

That quote was all in. Renovation of house and extension. Am very happy if that quote is too high. More afraid if its too low. Just wondering if anyone has done this level of work and has a ball park figure for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

That quote was all in. Renovation of house and extension. Am very happy if that quote is too high. More afraid if its too low. Just wondering if anyone has done this level of work and has a ball park figure for me.

I don't understand by what you mean is too low? Did you get a full breakdown to your quote, if you didn't that's they first thing I'd be looking for.

We are currently bidding on the house and so have not got a full costing, just want to know if anyone has ball park. If we agree on a price, I will then get builders ect, in to give correct quote with full break down of costing. Just wondering if any one here has done what we "might" be doing and can give ball park, figures.
    I am thinking it will be stripping back a 2 bedroom cottage back to walls, new wiring, new plumming, windows, insulation, floors and extinsion of 3/4 bedrooms. Dont need to quibble about a few thousand price wise here, but am wondering if people feel it will be €120,000 or €220,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Why not 'doze it and build new, yes I know there are additional planning and other costs but this project could suck 150k easily and you are still not getting the best value.
    How are u for water, sewage etc?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

200 year old cottage, without the research (which we will do if we buy) I am assuming it is a protected structure and cannot be done. Water would be city water, it was plumed, but a long time ago, it would be a septic tank, which again I assume would need to be re-dug if possible, but due to site constraints this could be an issue.

Anyone give a cost to refurbish old house and add new bedrooms?

Still waiting on size of this extension

Dont know the specifics yet BryanF, thinking extension will be for 3/4 bedrooms and will enclude main bathroom, master and more than likely a WC somewhere. Again this is all ball park, trying to figure out to the nearest €10,000. Will get specifics if we actually buy the house, but at the moment trying to figure out how feasable that is.

Dont know the specifics yet BryanF, thinking extension will be for 3/4 bedrooms and will enclude main bathroom, master and more than likely a WC somewhere. Again this is all ball park, trying to figure out to the nearest €10,000. Will get specifics if we actually buy the house, but at the moment trying to figure out how feasable that is.

Why not pay a Qs to give you a +/- 20% costing based on a walk-down and your requirements? Probably cost you €300

with the info you've given here you'll get guesstimates to the nearest 100k ;)

For anyone else looking at this thread. I have discovered to get a 200 year old cottage completely renovated with an extension would cost about €160,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jellybeans81

Hi Pearkore, did you get a detailed quote done on this? I'm looking at buying an old (more like 70-80 years old) bungalow of 60 square metres and adding an extension to this. Do you have an approximate size on the extension you're looking into? What's included for €160k? Thanks!

Hi Pearkore, did you get a detailed quote done on this? I'm looking at buying an old (more like 70-80 years old) bungalow of 60 square metres and adding an extension to this. Do you have an approximate size on the extension you're looking into? What's included for €160k? Thanks!

I had a chat with an architect who had recently renovated a similar cottage and that was the approximate cost for that build. I didn't get him to look at house as we were still in bidding stage, and we got out bid. If everything is ok on your project, foundations, septic tank ect and you are gutting and not too extravagant on the extension you could do most projects for that. But it will always depend on what you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement