Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon or C.Monox detectors necessary?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I'm building a house with geothermal heat pump and heat recovery ventilation. Will a radon or carbon monoxide detector be necessary?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm building a house with geothermal heat pump and heat recovery ventilation. Will a radon or carbon monoxide detector be necessary?

what is in the house to create carbon monoxide?

These are compulsory in all new builds since september 2014 so no harm having one installed.

radon is area specific, and you can rent detectors if you are worried

and just to clarify, there are no increased risks of radon or CO because the house has geothermal or a working HRV system.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what is in the house to create carbon monoxide?

These are compulsory in all new builds since september 2014 so no harm having one installed.

radon is area specific, and you can rent detectors if you are worried

and just to clarify, there are no increased risks of radon or CO because the house has geothermal or a working HRV system.....

Well it was the other way around I was thinking - does having HRV mean you definitely won't get a build up of radon and does having a geothermal heat pump mean you definitely won't get any carbon monoxide (coz that comes from fires and boilers doesn't it?)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well it was the other way around I was thinking -

1. does having HRV mean you definitely won't get a build up of radon and

2. does having a geothermal heat pump mean you definitely won't get any carbon monoxide (coz that comes from fires and boilers doesn't it?)

1 no. The way to be protected against radon is to stop it getting into the building in the first place. If its a modern build it 'probably' has a radon membrane... but, testing is the only way to be satisfied.

2. CO comes from fuel burning sources.... so while it may be heat pump heated... they could also be one or two stoves etc... thus why i asked "what is in the house to create carbon monoxide?" If theres nothing in the house to create it its highly unlikely to be an issue.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    1 no. The way to be protected against radon is to stop it getting into the building in the first place. If its a modern build it 'probably' has a radon membrane... but, testing is the only way to be satisfied.

2. CO comes from fuel burning sources.... so while it may be heat pump heated... they could also be one or two stoves etc... thus why i asked "what is in the house to create carbon monoxide?" If theres nothing in the house to create it its highly unlikely to be an issue.

There's a radon barrier going into the foundations.
    There will be 1 wood burning stove (going in so I can get a BER rating of A2 but will probably never be used)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

There will be 1 wood burning stove

cm detector needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There will be 1 wood burning stove (going in so I can get a BER rating of A2 but will probably never be used)

Slightly off topic but why won't you be using it?

Effects wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but why won't you be using it?

I'm really lazy and hate lighting fires!

Advertisement