Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Fitness classes

Options
  • 11-02-2015 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but are there clubs etc who have MMA type fitness classes?

I don't think I would be interested in the fighting or sparring, at least not initially. But from a fitness point of view, its appealing.

Are there classes/clubs around who do this sort of thing or am I better off with some sort of DVD?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's probably the same in Ireland but here most gyms that do mma run conditioning sessions seperately to the technique classes, so if you want you can do the fitness part more or less on its own with a small bit of pad work and bjj

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭StcIreland

A lot of the mma gyms in Ireland run separate fitness classes to there MMA or BJJ Classes.

or have fitness elements in there classes as well as gymnastics, you're probably better off contacting the gym itself and enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Every MMA class will involved working with a partner at some point so sparring is inevitable, but it is not sparring in the sense that two people are locked in the cage with only one winner coming out. You're just practising technique with a compliant partner. Nowhere worth it's salt is going to force you to fight because you've taken a few MMA classes with them.

The best thing about doing MMA/BJJ/Thai Boxing etc. is that if you enjoy the technical side of it as a sport or martial art, then the weight loss/conditioning/general physical improvement is all just a positive side-benefit! I started BJJ just because I enjoyed that aspect of watching MMA fights and since I start I've just lost weight. I'm down from 180 to 165lbs, which wasn't an intention of mine, just a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,102 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Every MMA class will involved working with a partner at some point so sparring is inevitable,
    That's not sparring. It's drilling.
    but it is not sparring in the sense that two people are locked in the cage with only one winner coming out.
    That's not sparring either.
    Sounds like Thunderdome.

But I agree with the main point that theres no reason that you have to spar.

Advertisement