Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 43: Aloo Keema w/ Saffron & Cardamom Rice

Options
  • 01-11-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry this is a bit late but only got around to cooking it last night :) And I'd also like to apologise for the quality of the pictures!

I'm a huge fan of Indian, it's my absolute favourite cuisine. I was a bit nervous of posting an Indian recipe here following Curry Addict's ongoing successful thread, but this one is probably a little different to the curries you'd be used to, and it's unbelievably simple to make.

Aloo Keema is a minced meat and potato curry. "Keema" in Hindi translates to any minced meat, and "Aloo" is Hindi for potato. I usually use minced beef for this dish, but I decided to use lamb last night and it was delicious. You can even use minced chicken - any lean (at least 80%) minced meat will be good.

(Recipe serves 4...although the rice recipe probably serves about 6/7 but I always make too much rice :D)

Aloo Keema

Ingredients
    • 1 large onion finely sliced
    • 1 inch of ginger, 5 cloves of garlic, 2 green chillis (preferably all blitzed in a processor to form a paste as in the picture. If you have no processor, simply chop finely and mix together)
    • 1/2 tsp tumeric
    • 2 heaped tsp tandoori masala
    • 1 tsp hot chilli powder (adjust amount to taste)
    • 4tbsps olive oil
    • 1lb of lean minced lamb/beef
    • 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch squares
    • 3 tsp soy sauce
    • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
    • 1 tsp garamasala
    C0hr58C.jpg

Method

1. Heat oil in a large pot/pan and cook onions until golden brown. Add garlic, ginger and chilli mix and cook for 5-10 minutes on a low heat. Add tumeric, chilli powder and tandoori masala, mix and cook for 3 minutes.

2. Add the mince to the mixture and cook on a medium heat until browned. Now add the soy sauce and mix well, season with salt.

3. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and garamasala and cook for a further 35 minutes until potatoes are done.

MlywJds.jpg

Saffron & Cardamom Rice

(The original recipe recommends that you use basmati rice and soak for 30 minutes pre-cooking in cold water. I used Tesco Easy Cook Long Grain & Wild Rice, and didn't soak beforehand, and it turned out perfectly.)

Ingredients

• 2 cups rice
    • 3/4 tsp crushed saffron threads
    • 4 tbsps butter
    • 6 whole cardamom seeds
    • 4 whole cloves
    • 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
    • 3 cups vegetable stock
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 tsp salt

Method

1. Soak saffron threads in 2 tbsps boiling water

2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves and fry for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and mix until it's fully coated.

3. Pour in stock, and add salt and saffron.

4. Cover and cook on lowest heat until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed (10-20 minutes depending on what type of rice you use).

3VOqq0Y.jpg

And enjoy!

SSjZFVV.jpg

Optional - copious amounts of alcohol, ice-cream and novelty napkins

awHToXS.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I made this last night, it's a great recipe! Really liked the cardamon & saffron rice as well, thanks ibarelycare :)

qKteAoa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

That looks great! Glad you enjoyed and thanks for trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

IBC two things, this looks AMAZING. I am gonna cook it tomorrow.

Also WHERE was my invite eh eh EH?!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I made Sparks' chilli again last weekend and bought too much mince which I threw into the freezer. I was looking for a new recipe and then this came along. Perfect! Will make next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wow! Will definitely be giving this a go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Had this for dinner this evening, yum yum yum! The Dart was delayed this evening, so just paired it with plain basmati rice. It was very filling though so didn't even need the rice.

327250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

I really like the look of this, will be trying it. Is the tandoori masala widely available? I don't think I've ever seen it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I couldn't find tandoori masala in Tesco this evening. I found tandoori curry powder instead though http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255770181
    They may very well be one and the same - it all tasted good anyway!

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    I really like the look of this, will be trying it. Is the tandoori masala widely available? I don't think I've ever seen it.

I'm not sure about regular supermarkets, I buy it from Asian markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

I'm not sure about regular supermarkets, I buy it from Asian markets.

There's an Asian supermarket near me but I'm sure they only to bags of it. Probably won't be using it much. I'll have a look tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    There's an Asian supermarket near me but I'm sure they only to bags of it. Probably won't be using it much. I'll have a look tomorrow evening.

Yeah I buy them in small bags, I'm pretty sure they're less than €2. It's probably the spice I used the least so a small jar would suit me better, but the spices are so cheap in the Asian shops that I don't mind having to buy bags of them even if I might only ever use them in one recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Made this at the weekend. Cba finding tandoori masala, so made my own using an alternative recipe i found online. It was delicious. Had it was extra potatoes for no good reason other than I love them.

It looked bloody weird before the end, but once the potato was cooked through, it all blended together and the consistency was great. Will definitely make this in larger batches and freeze in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Perfect. I had only posted this in the Curry thread a while ago. Looking for a curry for very lean mince
    Mellor wrote: »
    Just came across a recipe for a madras using mince (kangaroo btw).
    Have you ever made curries with beef/lamb mince?

The recipe uses madras paste and I’m wondering is that’s to reduce time for the spices to cook off to avoid drying out the lean mince.
    Could also be avoided by using curry base I’d imagine. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made this for dinner. It was absolutely gorgeous. I'd never had an Indian mains that was made from mince (that I can think of) so I was intrigued. It didn't disappoint. :)

I picked up the Tandoori Masala easily enough in Eurasia, along with a couple of small green chillies. Thank God the chillies weren't that hot. I made a curry on Saturday for friends that were over and the red chillies that I used were blow the head off you hot. These ones were just perfect, as was the whole dish. Beautifully spicy and tasty.

The only things that I did differently from the recipe was that I added some coriander to the chilli paste and I added a tin of water along with the tomatoes, I just thought it would've been too dry otherwise, it ended up, being cooked perfectly. Oh, and I also used some homemade kashmiri chilli powder instead of regular chilli powder.

Anyway, enough waffle. Cheers OP. :)

334890.jpg

Looks brilliant! Thanks for trying it out :)

Looks brilliant! Thanks for trying it out :)

No problem, it was lovely.

Just on the Tandoori Masala, strangely enough I'd never come across it before, but I'd imagine you could just add some of it to yoghurt and use it as a marinade for chicken before BBQing and roasting in the oven?

BaZmO* wrote: »

Just on the Tandoori Masala, strangely enough I'd never come across it before, but I'd imagine you could just add some of it to yoghurt and use it as a marinade for chicken before BBQing and roasting in the oven?

Yep I've actually done that with it before with chicken breasts. I threw them in a bag with yoghurt and tandoori masala and left them overnight to marinade and then roasted them, they had a lovely mild taste.

Yep I've actually done that with it before with chicken breasts. I threw them in a bag with yoghurt and tandoori masala and left them overnight to marinade and then roasted them, they had a lovely mild taste.
    Cool, that's tomorrow night's dinner sorted then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

An Indian guy I work with marinades an entire chicken this way and makes tandoori masala roast chicken, I've done it with chicken legs and it's delicious. It's yoghurt, tandoori masala, lemon juice, salt and cumin all rubbed over it. Delicious.

Going to make this aloo keema next week once I'm settled into a new house and kitchen, it looks delicious.

An Indian guy I work with marinades an entire chicken this way and makes tandoori masala roast chicken, I've done it with chicken legs and it's delicious. It's yoghurt, tandoori masala, lemon juice, salt and cumin all rubbed over it. Delicious.

Going to make this aloo keema next week once I'm settled into a new house and kitchen, it looks delicious.

Cool, I forgot about the lemon but luckily enough I have some here. Bought some chicken legs/oysters on the way home from work so I'm gonna marinate them tonight and have tomorrow.

Tonight I'm having leftover Aloo Keema! :)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made this today - delicious! It's going on our regular curry list.

Coincidentally, yesterday (also a curry day) I figured out how to make absolutely perfect chapatis, yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I made this today - delicious! It's going on our regular curry list.

Coincidentally, yesterday (also a curry day) I figured out how to make absolutely perfect chapatis, yay!

Could you share the chapati recipe please? Would love to try it.

The "recipe" for chapatis is just wholemeal flour (ideally strong wholemeal) and water. 225g of flour is enough for four chapatis. Add enough water to make a soft dough (this was one of my past mistakes - making the dough too dry) and knead it for ten minutes. Let it rest in the fridge for half an hour, then roll out on a floured surface to about 3mm thick ovals. Heat a dry frying pan or griddle on a high heat, put a chapati on it until it starts to bubble, then flip it - it should be browned in spots on both sides.

The perfect finishing touch requires a gas hob. Take the chapati off the pan, lower the flame and - with tongs! - hold it directly over the burner. It should puff up instantly; quickly flip it over and do the same on the other side. You'll end up with a slightly charred, fully-puffed chapati. You can optionally give it a light skim of butter, then cover it and keep it warm while you cook the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Thank you, I dont know if there is any point in me attempting it as I don't have a gas cooker. I may have to improvise, hmmm...

Get the pan hot enough and you should get them to puff up without the open flame.

Been following this thread for a long time. Finally got around to making it. No saffron put everything else is there! (Extra large portion cos I'm a fat baxtard)

Made this again tonight. Went for 3 small green chillis instead of the two, which was probably slightly too much. The two last time were just enough. Just as well I made a raita to cool it down! :)

I used new potatoes this time so they wouldn't break down as much, they took much longer to cook though.

Still a great dish and I have enough for tomorrow nights dinner. :)

This is getting made again at the weekend. What I did with the spuds was to slice them up and steam them. Kinda sped up the cooking process somewhat. Just added them in for about 4 or 5 minutes at the end.

I finally managed to pick up some saffron again too, & fresh Cardamom pods, so cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Cool, I forgot about the lemon but luckily enough I have some here. Bought some chicken legs/oysters on the way home from work so I'm gonna marinate them tonight and have tomorrow.

Tonight I'm having leftover Aloo Keema! :)

I often do a whole chicken this way as well, marinate the whole chicken, then cook the chicken standing up (place a beer can half filled with water in the chicken) The chicken stays very moist and terrific flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Made this tonight thanks for the idea!! :)

Decided to add some Spanish Chorizo in sounds mental i know but tasted amazing!!.

Im not mad about cardamon so i made mushroom rice instead with cumin seeds onion garlic and tumeric. Didnt bother taking a pic :pac: but really enjoyed the whole thing ages since i made Keema Aloo!.

Advertisement