Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Acoustic Amp Problem

Options
  • 01-01-2005 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

hey
    i just picked up a Takamine EG530SC.Its my first semi acoustic guitar.ive used lots of electric and acousitc guitars over the years.The guitar sounds great but for some reason if i plug it into my amp i cant get any sound whatsoever.Its the same amp and cable i use on my electric and that sounds perfect.
    I'm just wondering if theres something i have to do with the preamp to get sound.The tuner on the preamp works perfectly so it is functioning.

heres a pic of the guitar and theres also a pic of the preamp

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=889&sid=69

this is nearly identical to my amps setup i couldnt find my exact one
    http://www.kustom.com/products/guitar_amps/solo16_panel_display.asp

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Have you made sure the battery you've (hopefully!) got in it isn't dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

ya the battery is fine im using it for the tuner and that works perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

My advice would be to bring it back to the shop you bought it, could be something very small and simple, but if you've just got it, best tell 'em about it and have them deal with it.

ya only prob is i bought it from www.music123.com in america.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

The tuner may be less picky about the power than the actual preamp in the guitar pickup. Try changing the battery anyway.

Presume you've turned the volume up?? ;)

Try plugging into an external tuner and see if that gets any input. Tbh, it's impossible to diagnose without seeing the guitar (and difficult even then). It could be any number of things! The first thought that springs to mind is that one or both of the wires to the jack may be disconnected or shorted. This is the best case scenario, as it's easy to check visually or with a multimeter, and it's fairly easily rectified. If any component in the preamp is damaged, it gets complicated, and more likely would require replacement of the PCB. Which, for all intents and purposes, is all of the electronics barring the pickup and jack.

If changing the battery fails, email Music123 before you do anything else. Presumably it's still under warranty, but unfortunately most warranty agreements require the customer to pay return carriage.

• Advertisement

thanks a lot eoin for the help.i cant seem to get any output at all using an external tuner.might end up returning it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Might be cheaper to get it looked at here? Returning it will be about €100 or so postage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you're in the Dundalk region, I'll look at it for free....

Thanks for the help everyone i got it fixed it was a problem with the wiring from the preamp to the pickup.Thanks for the help

Advertisement