Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli government office apologizes for sickening mock flotilla music video

Options
  • 06-06-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The Israeli government's press division is apologizing for circulating a link to a video that mocks activists aboard a ship headed to Gaza earlier this week that was blocked by an Israeli raid.

"Due to a misunderstanding on our part, earlier (Friday) we inadvertently issued a video link that had been sent for our perusal," according to a statement from Israel's Government Press Office, which distributed the link to media outlets.

"It was not intended for general release," the statement said. "The contents of the video in no way represent the official policy of either the Government Press Office or of the State of Israel."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/06/05/gaza.flotilla.mock.video/

Rather sickening to say the least to those that lost their lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGG_osOoVg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Definitely not accidentally released.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The thread title is very deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The thread title is very deceptive.

Yes it is, there is no 'z' in apologises!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Pretty sickening video tbh, they are hardly even buried yet they are deemed sufficient for a 'comedy' sketch. Even to this day 9/11 is a general no-go area for comedians yet these Israelis see fit to make this into a joke in less than one week?
    It's seems like Freud is right yet again- the Israelis are reflecting the direct opposite of what has actually happened.

Is it just me or does anyone find it amazing that all the ships in that flotilla had their own cameras and footage of what happened yet there only seems to be the IDF version of it available online?

Perhaps they were scared of the truth coming out? WHat have they got to hide by destroying the footage the activists took? Thats the bigger question IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

RATM wrote: »
    Pretty sickening video tbh, they are hardly even buried yet they are deemed sufficient for a 'comedy' sketch. Even to this day 9/11 is a general no-go area for comedians yet these Israelis see fit to make this into a joke in less than one week?
    It's seems like Freud is right yet again- the Israelis are reflecting the direct opposite of what has actually happened.

I think it is a policy of de-humanising the people who were on that flotilla, especially if you couple this sickening video with the language being used to describe them on articles and quotes coming from official sources in Israel.
    Is it just me or does anyone find it amazing that all the ships in that flotilla had their own cameras and footage of what happened yet there only seems to be the IDF version of it available online?

The IDF have that footage and some of what is online is selected edits from the on board cctv camera. Shots of the lower decks and one of the stair wells for example.
    Perhaps they were scared of the truth coming out? WHat have they got to hide by destroying the footage the activists took? Thats the bigger question IMO.

One can only speculate on that but maybe the fact they did shoot first or they did execute some of the protesters. Or physically abuse others and this is on tape.

They have "presented" their version to the world and anything that disagrees with that has to be suppressed.

This video is disturbing and it shows the complete lack of respect some elements in Israel had for the victims on that boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's a shocking video in light of the facts surrounding it. I actually saw it yesterday on YouTube in the Related Videos section of another video and thought it was just a spoof done by some randomers, never even looked at the description

edit: catchy though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

That video is an atrocity by itself. Painfully unfunny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

How can youtube allow that? Lesser offensive videos would be banned. To think that the Isreali govt is dishing out the same treatment as Jewish people suffered at the hands of hitler, and they look for sympathy?. I have zero sympathy for Jews / Isreali's, or anyone who condones this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Remy13

how crass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hard to get my head around that one, total scumbags IMO.

How can adults, in whats suppose to be a progressive and civilized country be so dehumanized and lacking in compassion as to think of putting something like that together.

In a week when most countries would have buried its head in the sand & went into damage limitation the Israeli's do this!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Is the Israeli government trying to piss people off now or something? Seriously, the current admin there need to take a long hard look in the mirror, and stop it with this kind of nonsense. It does not help there case to do this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Once again, the cock-up gets cockier.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This is a fairly thin excuse to start up an Israel bashing thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

That's your only reaction to the video?

I have a lot of sympathy for Israel but it is rapidly evaporating in the face of their sheer arrogance. Posts like this are not helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

bunch of w****ers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Why? Is this normal behaviour of a 'democratic' Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

You dont feel that government officials making and releasing a video that mocks people they have just killed days ago is fairly disgusting behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

From the article on CNN Mark Regev's (Comical Ali of Israel) comments:
    "..I called my kids in to watch it because I thought it was funny," he said.

I wonder if he did show the funeral of the 9 activists killed to his kids after the video or the pictures of over 20 orphaned children after the raid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Did you see the comment towards the end of that article on CNN.
    Prior to the storming of the Turkish ship, the GPO sent an e-mail to journalists sarcastically recommending that while covering "alleged humanitarian difficulties," journalists should dine at one of Gaza's few restaurants.

"We have been told the beef stroganoff and cream of spinach soup are highly recommended," the e-mail said.

The message included an internet link to an old promotional video for the restaurant. The e-mail drew criticism from the foreign press and pro-Palestinian activists.

If that is how a Government Press Office works then I am extremely worried for both the Israeli and Palestinian Civilians. To make fun of people suffering because of an illegal blockade that you are running is immoral and indefensible. It only give fuel to the extremists who do want to harm Israel and innocent Israelis and it only allows more people to migrate towards the extremists in Gaza, in the West Bank and in Lebanon.

They should rename it from Government Press Office to the "Shoot ourselves in both feet" Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I saw this last night on youtube, its pretty disgraceful and I can't believe it got linked to from a government website. I immediately thought they were crazy people that created such a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Disgraceful conduct by the Israeli government, the comments left on the video as well demonstrate how racist some Israelis are as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The level of outrage on this thread is in inverse proportion to the alleged seriousness of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The level of outrage on this thread is in inverse proportion to the alleged seriousness of the incident.

The level of outrage is in direct proportion to the repulsiveness of the episode. Israel assaults the ships, murders some of the passengers, and then jeers at them when they're dead. What's to like?

And we are supposed to believe that the Israeli government will carry out an "impartial investigation" into the incident. It's like putting Ray Burke and Bertie in charge of a tribunal.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It reminds me of the sickening "Gotcha" headline in the Sun during the Malvinas war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

thebman wrote: »
    I saw this last night on youtube, its pretty disgraceful and I can't believe it got linked to from a government website. I immediately thought they were crazy people that created such a video.

Apparently the group responsible for this are very well known in Israel for taking the pi*s on current affairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Apparently the group responsible for this are very well known in Israel for taking the pi*s on current affairs etc.

They must have a great sense of humour, I wonder if they ever done a sketch on the holocaust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In fairness to the OP, whose threads I'd normally never open, the thread title seem's pretty fair and accurate to me..
    Israeli government office apologizes for sickening mock flotilla music video

Often times this week I've heard the mantra 'You can not defend the indefensible', sometimes against my better judgement I've crossed swords with friends over the whole affair.

But tbh, I'm glad I found this thread and the clip and for me its the straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andrewhpf

A friend of mine spent some time living in Israel with his family (his father was a diplomat) in his late teens, and his main observation of the locals was that hatred for anybody against the nation of Israel was bred in to them at a very young age, and extremist views were very common amongst low and middle class citizens. The arrogance of many shocked him.

Having said that, with the balls up by the Israeli Government aside, this video did come from non government affiliated group, so really you can't use it to bash the whole nation of Israel as a whole. Idiots like these exist in every country around the world, but it's important not to use them as a barometer for the people they claim to represent.

The other thing to consider is that it's quite likely that an equal level of hatred and insensitivity exists "over the fence" and beyond. If the situation involved Jews dying at the hands of Hamas or similar, you can bet your bottom dollar there'd be instances of laughter and mocking from various extreme groups throughout the Arab world. Two wrongs don't make a right though of course, and there are probably two distinct differences between the two parties;

1. Would it fair to assume Israel is a more "internet affluent" nation than it's immediate enemies, thus meaning there is less resistance to the circulation of such rubbish?
    2. The sheer arrogance of many Israelis by far outweigh that of their enemies. Combine that arrogance with point 1, and you have yourself the video in question.

Advertisement