Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby: a political football

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

anymore wrote: »
    It is totally absurd to compare the farcical pantonmine that is boxing to rugby or anyother sport in this:pcountry !
    I repeat people who are not willing to make some kind of contribution to sport really are irrelevant.
    Sport is about participation - As I said before when young teens who actulaly play the game can see the folly of this Green rubbish, then the matter is crystal clear.
    If you want to see sky rugby games for free, then take a trip down to your local rugby club - they wont even ask you to buy a drink !

And that, at the risk of causing unholy war, is exactly the elitist attitude that has held rugby back until recently.

All sports are basically in competition, in Ireland its football, rugby and the Gah vying for top billing. Football and the Gah try and get anyone to watch their games they can. You are saying that you look after the clique and to hell with the rest. Explain to me how you grow the game then?

What do you make of my point that it is fundamentally unfair that the IRFU are not restricted in the FTA restrictions in the same way the FAI and Gah are? How is that fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

And that, at the risk of causing unholy war, is exactly the elitist attitude that has held rugby back until recently.

All sports are basically in competition, in Ireland its football, rugby and the Gah vying for top billing. Football and the Gah try and get anyone to watch their games they can. You are saying that you look after the clique and to hell with the rest. Explain to me how you grow the game then?

What do you make of my point that it is fundamentally unfair that the IRFU are not restricted in the FTA restrictions in the same way the FAI and Gah are? How is that fair?

My kid, jsut like some of his friends and I am sure like thousands of other irish kids, has played GAA, Rugby and Soccer - there are no cliques today - that is just inverted snobbery. All these games at local level suffer from a lack of support at games - other than maybe finals. Like i say it a case of sunshine potatoe couch supporters lokking for freebies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Interesting article by Eamonn Sweeney in yesterday's SINDO outlining the other sources of revenue the IRFU receive much of which originates with the taxpayer . .

€191M from the govt for the Aviva stadium
    €17.5M from the Irish Sports Council (i presume p.a.)
    €34M to clubs in capital funding over the last 12 years

€40M from Aviva
    €40M from Puma

36 Corporate boxes at €800k a pop

The money argument is a nonsense . . scaremongering designed to frighten the public into agreement with the IRFU . . this is greed, plain and simple. .

Eamonn Ryan's central point is perfectly illustrated . .

"Unlike the IRFU, Eamon Ryan has made his case calmly, politely and sensibly. He has pointed out, for example, that the 2006 Heineken Cup quarter-final between Leinster and Toulouse was watched by 255,000 people on television. When the same two teams played at the same stage of the competition the following year, the audience was down to 47,000. The difference? The first match was shown on RTE, the second on Sky Sports. The audience of children under 14 watching the game dropped from 27,000 to 2,000. "

The purpose of the legislation is to ensure that sports events of national significance are available on TV to a national audience. No one can argue that the 6N or the HC are not "of national significance" and Eamonn Ryan is simply doing his job by ensuring that they stay available.

The numbers that concern me most here are the kids viewing figures. I would have thought that it would be in the IRFU's interest to increase the audience amongst children and use the big events to push rugby out to a wider audience, thereby vastly improving their playing pool in the years to come ? ?

It's not often I find myself 100% in agreement with Liam

was an excellent article by sweeney , the IRFU have behaved very petulantly , as sweeney rights says , rugby is a minority sport in this country and has little presence in most parts regardless of it being on a high at the moment

My kid, jsut like some of his friends and I am sure like thousands of other irish kids, has played GAA, Rugby and Soccer - there are no cliques today - that is just inverted snobbery. All these games at local level suffer from a lack of support at games - other than maybe finals. Like i say it a case of sunshine potatoe couch supporters lokking for freebies.

But you are arguing for a clique.... Games should only be shown to those involved in rugby.

My point, for the third time, is that the GAA and FAI are obliged to show their games FTA for, as you put it, "sunshine potatoe couch supporters lokking for freebies". So why should the IRFU not have to work within the same contstraints?

The CL final was on RTE and I shudder to think how many more watched it than the HC final on earlier that day. It actually is in the IRFU's long term interests to have provincial games on RTE for all, not on Sky for a fifth of the viewers.

Edit - looking at the figures Sweeney provides, 47,000 watching a big game involving Leinster is dramatically less than the numbers (c120,000) who tune into live LoI football on RTE. Thats all that needs to be said.

But you are arguing for a clique.... Games should only be shown to those involved in rugby.

My point, for the third time, is that the GAA and FAI are obliged to show their games FTA for, as you put it, "sunshine potatoe couch supporters lokking for freebies". So why should the IRFU not have to work within the same contstraints?

The CL final was on RTE and I shudder to think how many more watched it than the HC final on earlier that day. It actually is in the IRFU's long term interests to have provincial games on RTE for all, not on Sky for a fifth of the viewers.

More absurdity - anybody is free to subscribe to paid tv sport where the sporting bodies decide to go down that route.
    If you want to contrast GAA and Rugby, then point out that top level rugby is an above the board professional game unlike the phoney amateurism of the GAA>

More absurdity - anybody is free to subscribe to paid tv sport where the sporting bodies decide to go down that route.

Rubbish. And you know it. There are huge areas of Ireland that still don't have digital tv, and then there is the cost issue. Care to answer my question on the level playing field with other sports?
    If you want to contrast GAA and Rugby, then point out that top level rugby is an above the board professional game unlike the phoney amateurism of the GAA>

Don't get me wrong, I despise the Gah. But if they had decided 15 years ago to sell the All Ireland to Sky, they wouldn't be getting the punters through the door they do today.

I would also point out that GAA has an enormous hidden subsidy in that a very large proportion of our State schools will only offer GAA as a field sport in national schools.
    I dont see too many of the ' Free Rugbyists' complaining about that situation.

Rubbish. And you know it. Care to answer my question on the level playing field with other sports?

Don't get me wrong, I despise the Gah. But if they had decided 15 years ago to sell the All Ireland to Sky, they wouldn't be getting the punters through the door they do today.

The first point you make doesnt make any sense - there are ample ways of seeing even SKY sports for free or else just pay for it !
    The second point is pure specualtion - I palyed GAA up to under 21 level - none of us playing played because of GAA games being showed on TV .

I would also point out that GAA has an enormous hidden subsidy in that a very large proportion of our State schools will only offer GAA as a field sport in national schools.
    I dont see too many of the ' Free Rugbyists' complaining about that situation.

I agree, and they get a disprortionate amount of grant aid, but thats not the debate at hand.

The GAA and FAI cannot by law sell their marquee games to Sky. The IRFU can and Ryan is simply levelling that out. If Irish clubs in the CL or UEFA cup are considered important enough games to go FTA, surely the same applies for rugby? Yes or no?

• Advertisement

The first point you make doesnt make any sense - there are ample ways of seeing even SKY sports for free or else just pay for it !.

Go down the pub you mean? If I don't have to pay to see Rovers in Europe, why should I have to pay to see Leinster? The rules should be consistant as it gives the IRFU an unfair commercial advantage over the FAI and GAA>
    The second point is pure specualtion - I palyed GAA up to under 21 level - none of us playing played because of GAA games being showed on TV .

But if they weren't on television, or FTA at least, would there be the 'hype'?

I agree, and they get a disprortionate amount of grant aid, but thats not the debate at hand.

The GAA and FAI cannot by law sell their marquee games to Sky. The IRFU can and Ryan is simply levelling that out. If Irish clubs in the CL or UEFA cup are considered important enough games to go FTA, surely the same applies for rugby? Yes or no?

Then lets us just abandon capitalism altogether and go for a fully state planned economy.
    Rugby is a game that can and does produce horrific spinal injuries and even death. Frankly the players and oranisers are entitled to make the best deals they can. If you dont like it - join a club and channel your protests that way.
    If you dont contribute your opinions are irrelevant.

Then lets us just abandon capitalism altogether and go for a fully state planned economy.
    Rugby is a game that can and does produce horrific spinal injuries and even death. Frankly the players and oranisers are entitled to make the best deals they can. If you dont like it - join a club and channel your protests that way.
    If you dont contribute your opinions are irrelevant.

Now you are being a pointed clown.

If the IRFU are entitled to get the best deal possible, so should the FAI and GAA. Thats my point, why should the IRFU have a legislated commercial advantage? Have you any comment on that point?

Injuries have nothing to do with it, and that is emotive claptrap.

I am a member of a football club and contribute plenty, so I am entitled to an opinion on the matter as it effects our ability to compete with Leinster and the local rugby clubs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Gah type begrudger. But the rules should either be consistantly applied or lifted.

Now you are being a pointed clown.

If the IRFU are entitled to get the best deal possible, so should the FAI and GAA. Thats my point, why should the IRFU have a legislated commercial advantage? Have you any comment on that point?

Injuries have nothing to do with it, and that is emotive claptrap.

I am a member of a football club and contribute plenty, so I am entitled to an opinion on the matter as it effects our ability to compete with Leinster and the local rugby clubs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Gah type begrudger. But the rules should either be consistantly applied or lifted.

Calling me a clown wont change my opinion :confused:
    Let GAA and Soccer tackle the Government about that situation .
    I dont understand this :" am a member of a football club and contribute plenty, so I am entitled to an opinion on the matter as it effects our ability to compete with Leinster and the local rugby clubs "

Calling me a clown wont change my opinion :confused:
    Let GAA and Soccer tackle the Government about that situation .
    I dont understand this :" am a member of a football club and contribute plenty, so I am entitled to an opinion on the matter as it effects our ability to compete with Leinster and the local rugby clubs "

If Rovers only get €25,000 from RTE for a game that 150,000 watch because we cannot sell to Sky, why should Leinster get many times that for games that get a third of the viewing? Don't get me wrong, fair play to them for getting the deal, but we should be entitled to talk to Sky as well or the IRFU be subject to the same rules that the FAI are. Its not difficult.

If Rovers only get €25,000 from RTE for a game that 150,000 watch because we cannot sell to Sky, why should Leinster get many times that for games that get a third of the viewing? Don't get me wrong, fair play to them for getting the deal, but we should be entitled to talk to Sky as well or the IRFU be subject to the same rules that the FAI are. Its not difficult.

I am sorry but thst is just juvenile - I dont care if soccer does a deal with SKY ! And i sure as hell wont be voting for bunch of Green Clowns again ever !
    Email all your TDs and Councillors on the matter.

• Advertisement

I am sorry but thst is just juvenile - I dont care if soccer does a deal with SKY ! And i sure as hell wont be voting for bunch of Green Clowns again ever !

You might consider it juvenile, I consider consistant application of law to be a fundamental, even if it is only sport. You know you agree with me - either abolish the law or apply it evenly.

I have no intention of doing so, because the difference in money is more than offset by the relatively good viewing figures and the likelyhood of someone coming to a game off the back of it. Because I can see a bigger picture which you clearly cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Watch this from 0:53. If this was on PPV would it have inspired todays generation of players to pick up a ball and run with it rather than kick it around?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7n690MzUE

And while your at it this from 4:18 or to be precise 5:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adGgIP6xenY

Made our school introduce rugby along with GAA and soccer. Wouldn't have happened with Sky.

You might consider it juvenile, I consider consistant application of law to be a fundamental, even if it is only sport. You know you agree with me - either abolish the law or apply it evenly.

I have no intention of doing so, because the difference in money is more than offset by the relatively good viewing figures and the likelyhood of someone coming to a game off the back of it. Because I can see a bigger picture which you clearly cannot.

" You know you agree with me "
    " Because I can see a bigger picture which you clearly cannot.[/QUOTE] "
    If you cant be consistent even in the space of one post, then I think i will use my time a liitle more productively elsewhere ! :D
    Bye now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

bijapos wrote: »
    Watch this from 0:53. If this was on PPV would it have inspired todays generation of players to pick up a ball and run with it rather than kick it around?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7n690MzUE

And while your at it this from 4:18 or to be precise 5:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adGgIP6xenY

Made our school introduce rugby along with GAA and soccer. Wouldn't have happened with Sky.

It wouldn't happen even if they watched that. The GAA is exceptionally good at intertwining itself within the local parish. As a result of this parents send kids to kick a round ball instead of the egg shaped one.

Also, I live in Dublin and played rugby when I was younger as well as football. Gave up on rugby when I was 15 due to it being infested with knobheads from the southside and went back to playing football.

Oh and yeas Minister Ryan is a goon using rugby as a political football.

Oh and yeas Minister Ryan is a goon using rugby as a political football.

I wouldn't call him a goon for opening it to public discussion. I don't like Ryan much myself but the fact that he is consulting with the public until early July on this has to be welcomed.

Either way he made the point that the list of FTA is revised every few years as an ongoing process. Seems he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call him a goon for opening it to public discussion. I don't like Ryan much myself but the fact that he is consulting with the public until early July on this has to be welcomed.

Either way he made the point that the list of FTA is revised every few years as an ongoing process. Seems he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

The goon comment is because he is trying to distract people from more important issues. Free to air was being discussed on various television and radio shows when he should have been lambasted for the way this country is being run at the moment. Perfect distraction.

The goon comment is because he is trying to distract people from more important issues. Free to air was being discussed on various television and radio shows when he should have been lambasted for the way this country is being run at the moment. Perfect distraction.

No. He is the minister who has responsibilty for the list of sporting and cultural activity that goes FTA. That is reviewed every three years, with the next review in June. This is within his remit, and if anyone thought that the HC wouldn't come up for discussion about inclusion, they are showing intense naievity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

No. He is the minister who has responsibilty for the list of sporting and cultural activity that goes FTA. That is reviewed every three years, with the next review in June. This is within his remit, and if anyone thought that the HC wouldn't come up for discussion about inclusion, they are showing intense naievity.

Here is what I don't get though:

He is proposing all Heineken Cup games involving an Irish team is FTA (every single one), but for GAA, only the provincial finals, quarters, semis and final of the Championship. For soccer, it is only the competitive internationals.

If it does happen, we can be pretty sure that the money RTE or TV3 pays for the games will be a tiny fraction of what the IRFU would get through the collective bargaining from Sky.
    There is no way this would have a serious impact on the sport in Ireland and would result in many of our top players going abroad as well as many top imports no longer coming here to play.
    If this happens and we end up with our provinces not making an impact in the HC anymore, then how many people will bother watching the games on RTE, let alone who watch them now on Sky.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Here is what I don't get though:

He is proposing all Heineken Cup games involving an Irish team is FTA (every single one), but for GAA, only the provincial finals, quarters, semis and final of the Championship. For soccer, it is only the competitive internationals.

...and the camogie, ladies football and club finals, and the Irish sides in Europe and the FAI cup final....

This was always on the cards, thats my point.
    MaceFace wrote: »
    If it does happen, we can be pretty sure that the money RTE or TV3 pays for the games will be a tiny fraction of what the IRFU would get through the collective bargaining from Sky.
    There is no way this would have a serious impact on the sport in Ireland and would result in many of our top players going abroad as well as many top imports no longer coming here to play.
    If this happens and we end up with our provinces not making an impact in the HC anymore, then how many people will bother watching the games on RTE, let alone who watch them now on Sky.

The IRFU get €2.5m from Sky for the HC. The argument Ryan is making is that 5 times more watched it on RTE than Sky, so RTE will actually be in a position to be competitive with the bid and sponsors will follow bigger tv figures. I don't buy this cataclysmic loss argument if it happens tbh.

'Intense naivety' as opposed to normal naivety, that's some use of language there (do you have to concentrate to get that level of naivety). True it may be in his remit but when this particualr topic came up last time there wasn't as much fuss as there is now.

At this present moment in time it is being used by the gov. of the day to distract from the real problems this country has.

No. He mentioned the HEC along with other sporting events such as Cheltenham. The IRFU are the ones who raised it with the rest of the media, got the facebook campaign etc going. You can hardly blame Ryan for the IRFU and the media making a circus of it for the last week.

Like he said, he is obliged to do this, and its up for public consultation until July.

No. He mentioned the HEC along with other sporting events such as Cheltenham. The IRFU are the ones who raised it with the rest of the media, got the facebook campaign etc going. You can hardly blame Ryan for the IRFU and the media making a circus of it for the last week.

Like he said, he is obliged to do this, and its up for public consultation until July.

Ryan knew he was going to get a reaction. It's worth a lot of money to the IRFU. Naturally the IRFU are going to want to keep the dough coming in and are goiing to fight when someone wants to remove a fair bit of cash from them. Being a minister he has a few advisers and they would have had a fair idea of how this would be played out.

If he's so worried about what he was obliged to do maybe he should agitate for bye elections in the three vacant daíl seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

...and the camogie, ladies football and club finals, and the Irish sides in Europe and the FAI cup final....

This was always on the cards, thats my point.
    I don't see them mentioned on the Departments Website
    The IRFU get €2.5m from Sky for the HC. The argument Ryan is making is that 5 times more watched it on RTE than Sky, so RTE will actually be in a position to be competitive with the bid and sponsors will follow bigger tv figures. I don't buy this cataclysmic loss argument if it happens tbh.
    That may well be right, but I know that Ryan is only interested in having the sports being available to the greatest number of people while the IRFU is only interested in growing the game as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

You seem to be spouting the notion that Eamonn Ryan is doing a solo-run here and trying to implement some 'Green' ? policy to make rugby FTA. The reality is that all he is doing is implementing legislation that exists across Europe to make sure that sporting events of national significance are available to a national audience . . He is merely applying the same rules and logic that allow us to watch all Ireland senior international competitive soccer matches on RTE.

You are also incredibly arrogant in your view that if you are not attending 'local' games then you are not entitled to an opinion. Complete elitist bull**** that actually ignores the reality that watching sport on television actually in turn creates an audience and an attendance at local events. Had I not grown up with access to rugby on FTA television I probably would not now be a Leinster season ticket holder (which I am) . . I probably would not go down the road to watch Barnhall play in local games (which I do) . .

You seem to be spouting the notion that Eamonn Ryan is doing a solo-run here and trying to implement some 'Green' ? policy to make rugby FTA. The reality is that all he is doing is implementing legislation that exists across Europe to make sure that sporting events of national significance are available to a national audience . . He is merely applying the same rules and logic that allow us to watch all Ireland senior international competitive soccer matches on RTE.

You are also incredibly arrogant in your view that if you are not attending 'local' games then you are not entitled to an opinion. Complete elitist bull**** that actually ignores the reality that watching sport on television actually in turn creates an audience and an attendance at local events. Had I not grown up with access to rugby on FTA television I probably would not now be a Leinster season ticket holder (which I am) . . I probably would not go down the road to watch Barnhall play in local games (which I do) . .
    Hmm it is a little bit surprising to see you of all people talking about another poster being incredibly arrogant ! :D
    Let me rephrase it 'No free lunches ' Get it ?
    Watching sport on telly tends to diminish attendance at local matches - ask the league of Ireland - oh did i mention i have also put my money where my mouth is as regards soccer and took my son to Turners Cross on a regular basis - funny thing is that one end of season match - a laeague decider- we were too late to get tickets - all the sunshine followers had bought tickets before us. The one international Ireland soccer i attended at Turners cross, an under 19 or under 21, I could.nt believe how few people were there. Once again it is the Sunshine Follower syndrom.
    If you go to both Leinster and local matches, you know you are in a minority.
    What does Sporting events of national significance mean anyway ?
    By that standard, and going on viewr numbers, Coronation Street is a TV program of National Significance !
    And should there .not be price Control on Ticket prices to avoid elitism? And lets abolish Directors boxes and Premium Boxes - far too elitist !

• Advertisement

Ryan knew he was going to get a reaction. It's worth a lot of money to the IRFU. Naturally the IRFU are going to want to keep the dough coming in and are goiing to fight when someone wants to remove a fair bit of cash from them. Being a minister he has a few advisers and they would have had a fair idea of how this would be played out.

If he's so worried about what he was obliged to do maybe he should agitate for bye elections in the three vacant daíl seats.

The Green party justify Green taxes on the basis of the 'Polluter pays Principlke and rabbit on and on about ' Sustainability'.
    Well the polluter pays principle should logically translate into letting the consumer pay instead of letting the producer pay the penalty for 'Free Rugby'.
    The idea underlying sustainability also suggests letting Rugby generate as much of the money it requires from the marketplace,
    Ryan is really a pseudo communist !

Hmm it is a little bit surprising to see you of all people talking about another poster being incredibly arrogant ! :D
    Why so ? I don't believe I've ever been accused of arrogance on here ?
    anymore wrote:
    Let me rephrase it 'No free lunches ' Get it ?
    EU law says differently; Get it ?
    anymore wrote:
    Watching sport on telly tends to diminish attendance at local matches
    - ask the league of Ireland - oh did i mention i have also put my money where my mouth is as regards soccer and took my son to Turners Cross on a regular basis - funny thing is that one end of season match - a laeague decider- we were too late to get tickets - all the sunshine followers had bought tickets before us. The one international Ireland soccer i attended at Turners cross, an under 19 or under 21, I could.nt believe how few people were there. Once again it is the Sunshine Follower syndrom.
    Would love to see what data you have to support that claim. I would say the opposite is true. Showing sport on TV creates interest and awareness and I'm sure actually boosts audiences, and I'm pretty sure that the League of Ireland would agree with me on that. .
    anymore wrote:
    If you go to both Leinster and local matches, you know you are in a minority.
    Been to the RDS lately ?
    anymore wrote:
    What does Sporting events of national significance mean anyway ?
    By that standard, and going on viewr numbers, Coronation Street is a TV program of National Significance !
    And should there .not be price Control on Ticket prices to avoid elitism? And lets abolish Directors boxes and Premium Boxes - far too elitist !
    I don't know but I am pretty certain that by anyones measurement the 6N championship is of national significance . . Of course, the question is subjective and that is why there is a minister with the responsibility of defining the answer. Eamonn Ryan is just carrying out this responsibility.

And yes, in general ticket prices should be cheaper to make attendance more available to the ordinary punter but I find it bizarre that you would get rid of the corporate boxes that will earn the IRFU almost €30M given that you are so concerned about the €12M that they will lose (supposedly) if Ryan gets his way . .

The Green party justify Green taxes on the basis of the 'Polluter pays Principlke and rabbit on and on about ' Sustainability'.
    Well the polluter pays principle should logically translate into letting the consumer pay instead of letting the producer pay the penalty for 'Free Rugby'.
    The idea underlying sustainability also suggests letting Rugby generate as much of the money it requires from the marketplace,
    Ryan is really a pseudo communist !

Again, with the ridiculous and inaccurate implication that this is some sort of lefty-green policy dreamt up by Ryan . .

You have already been corrected on this several times . .

This is EU law . . it exists throughout Europe; Ryan is merely carrying out his responsibilities under the legislation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This is EU law . . it exists throughout Europe; Ryan is merely carrying out his responsibilities under the legislation

Slightly disingenuous.

The directive provides the framework on which national governments may legislate to ensure events of national importance are not restricted to pay TV. There is no requirement for Minister Ryan to draw up a list of protected events, at present only 9 EU states have done so.

There is a requirement for Ireland to ensure that broadcasters based in this jurisdiction respect the decisions of other member states.

http://ec.europa.eu/avpolicy/reg/tvwf/events/index_en.htm#14

Slightly disingenuous.

The directive provides the framework on which national governments may legislate to ensure events of national importance are not restricted to pay TV. There is no requirement for Minister Ryan to draw up a list of protected events, at present only 9 EU states have done so.

There is a requirement for Ireland to ensure that broadcasters based in this jurisdiction respect the decisions of other member states.

http://ec.europa.eu/avpolicy/reg/tvwf/events/index_en.htm#14

Indeed, and thank you for the clarification. . . The substantive point remains however . . this is not a new lefty GP policy in the way @anymore implies . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No, i wouldn't say rugby's political here its more football, infact everyone and anyone supports the same rugby team here.

owenc wrote: »
    No, i wouldn't say rugby's political here its more football, infact everyone and anyone supports the same rugby team here.

Not sure what you mean . . it doesn't have to be political to be of national significance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

owenc wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean . . it doesn't have to be political to be of national significance ?

I'd reckon that cryptic post is somehow related to the thread title rather than the actual topic.

And I'd love to know what the poster's view is on soccer, too! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I sincerely hope that Eamon Ryans desperate 'popularity plan' backfires in his face and leaves him with sitting there with a cartoon-like puzzled expression and a pair of singed eyebrows!!!

-Then it will be just like every other farce the Green Party has orchestrated and the natural order will be restored :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement