Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Les Paul Goes Digital

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Jeez, I heard about this ages ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

As you two would say:

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:
    Jeez, I heard about this ages ago...

Sorry, I'll check with you before I post anything in future

They make guy a mod and he becomes a nazi, do they implant a chip or something? ;)

Nein!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Personally i think there's something very wrong with making a guitar "digital" - it just seems so unnatural... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

At least it's a proper Les Paul as well as being digital. The big thing seems to be that you can record each string separately. Why would you want to?

"Now, add signal processing from your favorite Plug In to each string individually. How about dropping the E to a D to fatten up a verse, without having to tune down and record again?"

Heh, that's just lazy.

EQing each string makes sense to me. Some how...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

What will they think of next eh?? Digital digits? Musician Robots?

Now there's an idea MusicianRobotitron™.

They exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Yeah, some guy made his own robot band. I think I might have read it here. Then again maybe I dreamt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Recording each string seperately with distortion makes a completely different sound.

As opposed to just playing a chord with distortion.
    It will have it's uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Well if other musicians thought that Guitarists were anal about tone and music in general what will they think now? If a bass company came up with this idea, and a bassist brought such a thing to the rest of his/her band, everyone would laugh at him, and tell him to **** off and play the root notes.

The guitar is a complicated enough instrument without something like this, i mean thankfully all the people testing it were brilliant already. People should be concentrating on their playing rather than something as complex as that. It's pretty much a recording tool. I mean from one extreme to the next do they think the audience will care/notice? One extreme being a Dublin gig, say in Eamon Dorans', crap ass sound quality, are people likely to say "oh **** man have you noticed how the B string is sounding from that speaker and the A is sounding from that speaker?" Most audiences would be completely oblivious.

Imagine mentioning it to the sound engineer. "Oh yes i'd look 2 strings coming out of that speaker, 2 out of that one...." and so on. They fecking produce a bad enough sound as it is without complicating things. That not being their fault, the gear in actuality is the problem.

What about a stadium gig? The speakers are so widely distributed one part of the crowd will only be able to hear one freaking string, and another lot only one other freaking string. In both scenarios the crowd is probably gonna be too drunk to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Nidge wrote:

What about a stadium gig? The speakers are so widely distributed one part of the crowd will only be able to hear one freaking string, and another lot only one other freaking string. In both scenarios the crowd is probably gonna be too drunk to care.

They keep things mono in most cases in Stadium type gigs. Same in clubs and places like that too.

TBH, you're not gonna use the individual outputs at a gig. You honestly gonna bring and set up 6 amps? The soundman would just laugh at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Exactly the point i was trying to make, and if one does limit this function of the guitar to recording, then i still don't see much of a point. I mean there is no limit to the amount of overdubbing that can be done, with all existing digital equipment. Even at that what is the point of perfecting a recording that much? People don't put half as much thought into live versions of there songs, as replicating such an intricate recording, live that is, requires. I just think people could get too bogged down in playing with the direction of the sound rather than playing the guitar itself. This said i am sure there are thousands of these digital guitars on pre-order from the highest quality recording studios in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

There is possibility with this guitar alrite but not for the normal everyday guitarist its not worth the hassle. Spend your money on a nice vintage Les Paul. Thats what I did and I love it to bits. The les paul rocks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

I just think form those video samples the whole thing has a horrible tone anyway. Its nasal, compressed and kind of reminds me of some cheap under-saddle electro acoustic pickup. I think thae whole idea of guitar tones is that they are unashamedly LoFi. Certain HiFi approaches in guitar amplification can be a great thing in terms of performance, this thing sounds crap in my opinion. Others will love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

def leporrd record all the guitar tracks a string at a time so maybe this is made for them?

As a recording tool I can see the potential, it would be handy. You could do some really cool things by messing around with different strings in each chord. In some way it is lazy, but in others its just another creative tool. If it can help you realise the music in your head then thats all that matters.

Moo

Advertisement