Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Of Both Worlds?

• 06-01-2005 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

barry-6-12.jpg

Turns out that Warmoth makes pickguards for their products -- and the price ain't bad -- so I had them make one to go with the doubleneck body, which I found online in what used to be called their "Thrift Shop" section (now more honestly called the "Showcase") of extant bodies and necks.

Projects like this one are indeed expensive -- often more so than planned -- in both money and time. But what I got was an instrument with four voices, unique capabilities, and one helluva stage presence -- for roughly the cost of a higher-end Strat with case.

It helps to do the homework and put some time into working out exactly what you want the instrument to be and do before you get intocreating it, and to exercise patience while it emerges from the "dream" realm. After cooking this idea (and gathering components) for about a year, I bought the body in early 2003. When it became clear that the project was beyond my abilities to do correctly by myself, I took it to a pro for finishing, wiring, assembly, and setup. The instrument took until March 2004 to realize fully, partly because circumstances cropped up (some tragic) that were outside my luthier's control. But we kept up a careful exchange of ideas throughout, and it paid off. Aside from the guitar necks and hardware (which came from recent Mex Standard Fender models), the project did include some special expenses:
    - hard-gloss natural finish
    - installation of the Baggs X-Bridge piezo trem I'd bought for this project (it fit the American-spec trem rout and added a wanted capability)
    - purchase, installation, and wiring of the stacked pots (outer rings are bass volume and tone, inner knobs are Strat volume and tone, rear knob is X-Bridge volume)
    - purchase and wiring of switches (rear mini-switch is a 3-way selector for bass pickups; front mini-switch chooses either the Strat neck or the bass neck)
    - conversion of the Standard Jazz Bass neck to fretless with maple fretlines (the Standard Fretless I bought from you won me over)
    - installation and wiring of Duncan Basslines and American Standard Strat pickups provided by my luthier
    - semipermanent installation of the Roland GK-2a synth pickup I already had
    - fine-tuning and balancing of the assembled instrument
    - (yet to come, from an online source) a custom-built Anvil-type case
    Thanks to all that work by Tom's Guitar Repair in Indianapolis, the results are exactly what I had in mind, and then some. Although the double-size solid body naturally darkens the overall sound a little (not a problem for the bass), I can use the piezo to dial in exactly as much guitar brightness as I need. The American Strat pickups balance electrically with the X-Bridge -- you just tweak their respective volume knobs -- so well that it doesn't need a preamp (that's a capability often advertised for the X-Bridge, and it delivers on this instrument). By itself, the piezo gives me a very Ovation-esque acoustic sound, and if I add a little clean bass response from the Strat magnetic pickups in Selector Position 4 (neck and middle), it'll do anything from folk to jazz with clarity and balance.

Crank the Strat, and it will rock out with no effort. Mainly to control resonance, we used a 2-way neck-selector switch (either bass or guitar), but it doesn't affect the independent GK2a circuit. With that unit set on guitar-and-synth and the neck selector set on Bass, I can alternate phrases on bass and guitar-synth. Even so, no human creation is perfect: When I broke one guitar string (the G) on this lovely critter at a Wild Mercy gig in October, the ball end lodged in the trem and could not be easily replaced during our set. No matter how wonderful the instrument, ya gotta take a backup axe when you play out. This creature (which I call "2Gee" for "Two Giraffes," which is what I look like when I play it standing up -- I'm 6'9") is probably still evolving, but its present capabilities will keep me busy for years to come (even with the time saved when you can practice guitar or bass at the flick of a switch).

Shucks, I just wanted an unusual Strat. This one qualifies. Glad to share the enjoyment with those who share my irrational enthusiasm <grin>.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i'd buy one:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

That just screams Spinal Tap! How much of a legend/sap* would you look on stage at the Sugar Club with that!?!

*delete as applicable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Especially if you played it with a bow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

If only I had 4 hands...

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    Especially if you played it with a bow ;)

or a violin

Touché :)

Actually now I'm thinking of a similar construction for a violin and cello...

Crazy? I think not.

Maybe viola and cello might be a few % more sane?

I've scrapped that idea entirely, I've started work on a ukelele double bass combo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm just awake so my brain isn't working but tell me you have that...

John has a ukelele double bass combo? :confused:

I meant that guitar/bass thingy yoke thing. I still want a double neck Ken Lawrence Explorer.

Gotta go with a Ric 12 ;)

Doubleneck.jpg

Shouldn't it be a Ric 10 :p

16 if you want to be snotty. Look closely at the guitar headstock ;)

Bah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Sweet Jesus, that's impressive. I'm sure he'll have fun finding a flight-case for it. Actually, he'd probably make it himself out of the chassis of a Fiat 127 or an old coffin or something... ;)

Actually that reminds me, remember that video of Justin King that was posted a while back? I think the tune was 'Knock On Wood'... Was he playing a twin-necked 12-string on that?

Something like that has gotta be too heavy to be comfortable, I reckon. Poor oul shoulder :o

Deathfunk, I think it was two 6 string necks. I imagine 12 string necks would be too difficult to tap on.

Doc, imagine a double neck Les Paul...

• Advertisement

Yeah, or a walnut double body Les Paul ***shudders***

Feylya, you sure? I could have sworn at least the bottom neck was a 12-string...

*goes searching for the video and quite possibly some humble pie*

I'm not sure of anything these days :(

You're both wrong, it's actually
    ahh I'm just messing, I haven't a clue

Nope, you're right, two 6-string necks...

How about a twin triangle combo? With a regular triangle and a bass triangle? The bass triangle would have to be just a hunk of lead though, and th--

Oh forget it. Jesus, I'm tired.

Damn old folk, tricking us again ;)

Perhaps Karl Hungus should be barking up this tree? Real expanded range :p

It's funny cos it's true :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Doctor J wrote:
    Perhaps Karl Hungus should be barking up this tree? Real expanded range :p

Dont give him any ideas! :D

Feylya - congrats on the "promotion"!

• Advertisement

Thank you sir.I get 5 more buttons to play with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I saw a double-neck Les Paul before, can't remember where though. Heh. Buttons? Promotion? Due to ignorance I'm going back to bed.

(i was made a mod)

Yeah, I seem to recall someone on projectguitar wanting to make a double neck LP.

Yeah, noticed it just afterwards. What are you modding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ancient1 wrote:
    Dont give him any ideas! :D

I want one with mandolin strings! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Wait a minute ..... Dr J - does this mean you're NOT 6'9'' ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, noticed it just afterwards. What are you modding?

For Sale Instruments/Music Equipment

I want one with mandolin strings! :D

and I thought my ideas are stupid... :p

John2 wrote:
    and I thought my ideas are stupid... :p

Wait 'till I try and encorporate the brass section. :eek:

lol, the Karl Hungus One Man Big Band

Think there's room for a chapman stick in there too?

• Advertisement

What about a Mini Moog?

get with the times, it's the Moog Voyager that's the mack daddy now

PAH. Live in the 80s!

Think there's room for a chapman stick in there too?

There's always room for a chapman stick! :p

Oh god, a mini moog!!!
    Excellent! Now that's certainly a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Now that's certainly a plan.

Told you not to give him any ideas.... :p

Oh god, a mini moog!!!
    Excellent! Now that's certainly a plan.

My ultimate dream is to have a Mini Moog as the centrepiece of my ELECTRONIC FREAKOUT ORCHESTRA. But considering they haven't been made in donkeys years and the fact that they cost
    huge_cash_pile.gif

I don't see it happening until after maybe my second Nobel Prize. Although the new Moog Voyagers are very very very very tasty. As the title of this thread suggests, they are indeed the best of both worlds, high quality analogue components where you need them and the rest digital. Maybe I should send a collection plate round for one of these boyos...

Wait a minute ..... Dr J - does this mean you're NOT 6'9'' ?

No, that's some other bloke altogether. I'm only 6'8.5" ;)

In big shoes :D

Advertisement