Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manufacturing with Business Studies DCU

Options
  • 14-08-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there, this is my first thread so I apologise if it is in the wrong place. So i have a huge interest in Engineering and would like to study it in 3rd level but my main problem is i do ordinary level maths in school but im fairly handy at it in summer/xmas tests i have never gotten lower then a B and in the JC got A. I have seen the DCU course Manufacturing with Business Studies and it looks like something i would be interested in, any information would really be appreciated like modules, hours, difficulty ect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I assume you mean Bsc. Manufacturing Engineering with Business. There is already pretty good information up on the course regarding modules. This should have been considered at CAO application stage. In any case feel free to PM me if you have any worries about the course. Confirmed place on it myself as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭bren2001

The course in first year is the same as everybody else. Since you have ordinary mathematics you don't get direct entry. You are in FE or FEE (module codes). This requires you to take an additional mathematics class that fills in the gaps that you missed at ordinary.

The mathematics is easy enough (well I found), mainly focusing on differentiation. The big shift is that its not about being able to do it but understanding what you are doing. It is harder than LC honors so it's a big step up from Ordinary.

Second year is where is starts to get tougher, you move onto integration (not on ordinary). This stuff really is tricky to get your head around and will take a fair bit of work. Every Engineering course does the module.

Apart from those 2 modules Mathematics for Engineers I/II the mathematics for your course isnt "that" hard. Some of the lecturers are crap and there is 1 or 2 modules you will find hard.

Plenty of my friends have managed to get the 4th year with Ordinary Maths. My advice would be to pick up a leaving cert book and start get to be doing algebra, differentiation, integration and integration by parts (you'll need an older LC book for this, not on project maths). You will find it easier with a bit of ground work now.

Any questions, just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

bren2001 wrote: »
    The course in first year is the same as everybody else. Since you have ordinary mathematics you don't get direct entry. You are in FE or FEE (module codes). This requires you to take an additional mathematics class that fills in the gaps that you missed at ordinary.

OP is talking about MWB, not FEE. FEE is a good idea though, here's the link: http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=FEE

This is a programme for people who want to do engineering (other than MWB, like mechatronics or whatever) but don't have higher maths. You apply outside the CAO system directly to the college.

In MWB you do a slightly different first year. You take the 'extra' maths module that the FEE people do, but don't do Mathematics I in first year. You also take some sort of business module, called creativity and innovation or something like that.

To be honest, I don't think the course is great. It misses out on a lot of engineering subjects. It's not accredited by engineers Ireland, which also means it's not accredited internationally. My impression is that it produces graduates who aren't really engineers and aren't really business people either. If you wanted to pursue an engineering management role, doing a BEng. and then an MBA after working for a while would be a much better idea.

If I were you I'd try for FEE, and if you can't get that don't do MWB, try your hand at something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bookshelf17

Thanks for the reply, do you know the numbers that get through the FEE system ? like do 50 people go for it and only 10 get through?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

I couldn't tell you what the numbers are like to be honest, all I know is that it has a fairly high failure rate due to the students' lack of a maths background. If I remember correctly about a third end up doing well. No reason not to give it a shot though, you just need to put the effort in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bookshelf17

Im kind of unsure about this course now as it seems like its not a great engineering course, when i first saw the modules i thought it was the perfect course for me but since hearing what people have to say im thinking twice about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJ202

I know that this is an old post but I felt that I should leave a message for those people that are interested in the MWB course. I graduated from DCU a number of years ago after completing the MWB strand. Unlike a large number of Engineers that graduated from different courses within DCU, every single person from my MWB class were employed in Ireland within a matter of months. At the time, a large number of Engineering students were forced to emigrate in search of work. My classmates careers ranged from Quality Engineers, Design Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers to Analysts within large international firms such as Accenture, Apple and Boston Scientific. In relation to graduate programs offered by large firms, MWB is ideal as you not only experience an environment which encourages you to utilize logical, systematic thinking but you also have a practical understanding of business principles with an encouragement towards innovation and entrepreneurship. Look at the course modules shown online, if they appeal to you, do not hesitate to go for it. Although you do not require higher level maths, there was a relatively high dropout rate for those people that had pass maths. Two sides to every coin.

Advertisement