Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland have a Medical Consultant Centre

Options
  • 22-09-2012 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I've heard on the Radio that the number of people waiting to see Medical Consultants have doubled since April .

Many of these people are waiting months to see a consultant and are getting letters to extend their wait adding on a few more months .

I think We sould have a Large Medical Center when All Medical Consultants can be found under one roof and not just one of each type of consultant but 3 or 4 .

So a Building with maybe 50 offices where all the consultants are based should cut down the Cost of Admin and the numbers of people on the waiting list should decrease .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Let me guess, this centre would be in Dublin, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Stupid idea, what if it was in Dublin and someone from Cork needed to go???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

WIZE wrote: »
    I've heard on the Radio that the number of people waiting to see Medical Consultants have doubled since April .

Many of these people are waiting months to see a consultant and are getting letters to extend their wait adding on a few more months .

I think We sould have a Large Medical Center when All Medical Consultants can be found under one roof and not just one of each type of consultant but 3 or 4 .

So a Building with maybe 50 offices where all the consultants are based should cut down the Cost of Admin and the numbers of people on the waiting list should decrease .

The problem in Ireland is that there are far far too few consultants. This is because they are a closed shop. They alone can approve new consultants and they keep their numbers down by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It would of course be located in the ministers constituency

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Consultants should work out of a great big bus and go on tours around Ireland, with acrobats and people on stilts, and all different colour balloons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Let me guess, this centre would be in Dublin, yes?

Does it matter if its in Dublin ?

So if you have a life Threating Illness Im guessing that you would Prefer to wait a year to see a Consultant rather then a week and a bit of travel .

Im suprised:rolleyes:

Stupid idea, what if it was in Dublin and someone from Cork needed to go???

Wait a year to see your local one then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

So if you have a life Threating Illness Im guessing that you would Prefer to wait a year to see a Consultant rather then a week and a bit of travel .

We'll see how good you are at travelling if you ever have a life threatening illness.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you have a life threatening illness I doubt you have to wait a year to see a consultant.

If you just have a non life threatening illness why the **** should you have to travel cross country to see a consultant? Would you like to travel across the country for a case of dermatitis?

Where To wrote: »
    We'll see how good you are at travelling if you ever have a life threatening illness.

:)

Im not talking about every consultant in the country in one building .

i talking about a Centre in Ireland full of Medical Consultants Offices

• Advertisement

:confused:

If you have a life threatening illness I doubt you have to wait a year to see a consultant.

If you just have a non life threatening illness why the **** should you have to travel cross country to see a consultant? Would you like to travel across the country for a case of dermatitis?

Are you happy to wait a year to see a consultant if you have a serious Illness

:confused:

I ment a building full of consultants found under one roof :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Are they not the same thing :confused::pac:

Edit: no, I kind of understand what you mean, sort of.

You mean like the Mater or Vincents or CUH or every other major hospital in Ireland already is. Thats groundbreaking thinking on your part alright.

I ment a building full of consultants found under one roof :)
    Like a hospital?

Like a hospital?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No

But major hospitals already have that, the Mater has loads of offices full of consultants of every speciality you can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm a bit confused by the whole premise of this thread.

There are too few consultants (or two many people being referred to consultants, depending on your analysis) meaning that the waiting list to see consultants is excessively long.

To solve this, OP proposes to lump a load of consultants together. I fail to see how this measure will add to the total pool of available consultant hours. They're medical professionals, not rabbits.

Honestly, it's like the health policy equivalent of troll physics. OP has gotten us so far, but the '??????' and 'Profit' stages still have to be filled in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

we could set up a clinic in Blackrock and have some sort of National Treatment Purchase Fund to cover it's use by public patients.

Alternatively we could provide annual checkups for the whole population to provide early treatment before it becomes more expensive or life threatening.

Advertisement