Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap(ish) Android Phone

Options
  • 28-09-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can anybody recommend a mid to low price android phone?
    I'm looking to spend less than €200 on something with:
    • Android 2.0 or greater
    • stability
    • WiFi
    • a touch screen that works
    • (is 48 hours battery asking too much?)
    does such a thing exist or am i being too optimistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

too optimistic :)

The only phone i can think of is HTC Wildfire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bought a second hand Hero for 100 quid there. Battery only barely goes 48 hours, has all the rest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 protosByte

I have a wildfire and I'm very happy with it. Cost me around 250 EUR sim unlocked in Holland.

Would have bought a desire but it's a little too big to fit comfortably into my pockets. Wildfire fits in nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Orange in the UK recently anounced a £99 Android phone on pay as you go. Might be able to grab one in Norn Iron, if that's an option for you.

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/09/21/orange-brings-android-to-the-masses-with-the-launch-of-san-francisco/

Looks pretty decent! And very very decent for the price!

Unboxing etc. here:

I'd say we can expect to see more of these "entry level" Android phones in the near enough future.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

Wildfire is definitely a contender. They don't have it on vodafone though so the price is pretty high. I'm not mad about buying second hand phones too, a phone can be flaky enough as it is.

The san fran looks fantastic for the price though....I'll have to look into that one, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

Goodshape wrote: »
    Orange in the UK recently anounced a £99 Android phone on pay as you go. Might be able to grab one in Norn Iron, if that's an option for you.

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/09/21/orange-brings-android-to-the-masses-with-the-launch-of-san-francisco/

Looks pretty decent! And very very decent for the price!

Unboxing etc. here:

I'd say we can expect to see more of these "entry level" Android phones in the near enough future.

How does the san fran compare to say a htc g1?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bkelly86

I have the samsung galaxy spica on three prepay for €199, very happy with this phone, it has everything you mentioned there.
    http://www.three.ie/shop/samsung-spica-white-prepay.htm

bkelly86 wrote: »
    I have the samsung galaxy spica on three prepay for €199, very happy with this phone, it has everything you mentioned there.
    http://www.three.ie/shop/samsung-spica-white-prepay.htm

I like, nice processor but not much RAM.
    Anyone know if 256MB of RAM is enough for a good android experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

My friend got a second hand HTC hero from one of those small phone shops in Talbot street for around €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Hi Guys,

Can anybody recommend a mid to low price android phone?
    I'm looking to spend less than €200 on something with:
    • Android 2.0 or greater
    • stability
    • WiFi
    • a touch screen that works
    • (is 48 hours battery asking too much?)
    does such a thing exist or am i being too optimistic?

Samsung Galaxy Europa 149e prepay

2.1 android
    capacitive touch screen
    Wifi
    1gb memory

The Spica would be higher spec though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

i dont see the point of cheap android phones. its like going onto ebay and buying a knock of iPhone...it might look the same but it will never work as good as wont deliver the real experience it can deliver...in most cases making the consumer reluctant of the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Bugzy wrote: »
    i dont see the point of cheap android phones. its like going onto ebay and buying a knock of iPhone...it might look the same but it will never work as good as wont deliver the real experience it can deliver...in most cases making the consumer reluctant of the real deal

Wouldn't make that comparison necessarily. The 'San Fran' looks like reasonably good quality -- it stands to reason that these components are getting cheaper for manufacturers to put together -- and an Android device is, to a large extent, going to have the same software and OS support of any other Android device, which is something you wouldn't find on your hiPhones or ePhones or other knockoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Well I gotta disagree with the above completely. I have been using the HTC Tattoo for a year now. It is (was) a cheap android device. It is absolutely fantastic in every way. If anything it has the exact opposite effect of what you say above. It guarantees my next phone will be an android also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

i dont mean all lower end phones are ****. there are some well manufactured phones for a reasonable price.

but in most cases it is a disappointment. and it cannot reflect the full possibilities that a certain OS would have.

i know some people that bought low end android phones and thanks to that now their scared of ever going near it.

i dont mean all lower end phones are ****. there are some well manufactured phones for a reasonable price.

but in most cases it is a disappointment. and it cannot reflect the full possibilities that a certain OS would have.

i know some people that bought low end android phones and thanks to that now their scared of ever going near it.

Half or even a quarter of the possibility is better than some cheap sony erricson OS.
    I personally want some control over the software on my phone, I'm not too bothered as to whether it has a windscreen wiper animation or not.

Still haven't got any cash for a cheap one though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

vodafone android 845
    €119
    2 days battery life

Advertisement