Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel weird going to the cinema on your own?

Options
  • 15-02-2003 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭

Is it just me as i dont have a gf that feels weird goingot the cinema on my own.

I love going to the cinema and dont go as often as i want because of this, i have a friend who goes with my now and again.

I dont go unless she can go with me.

I have missed loads of films that i really wanted to see because of this.

Do you feel weird going to the cinema on your own? 67 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    29% 20 votes
    Stop talking crap and go do what you want!
    46% 31 votes
    I have a special someone to go with.
    23% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

For some reason I voted yes, when I meant no...but the I thought about it, and I suppose I do!

I certainly wouldn't go of a Friday night on my todd, that just looks to bizarre. Usually an early showing in a multiplex is alright, you'll always find plenty like you there as well. I'm a member of the IFC and my mate who usually goes with me works 9-5, while I'm a shift worker, so I'm nearly always in there on my own. That can get a little bit embaressing, especially if the films a little bit mucky:o

Feck it, don't let it bother you. Go if you want, try to make it during the day. You'll appreciate it in the long run, cos' it'll mean you'll have seen some cool films and you'll have found summat to do with your day.

p.s. I remember going to see Nine Queens in the Screen last year. here was about four people there. I sat down the very back row, with a huge box of popcorn, and took my shoes off for the extra comfortable feeling. Twas great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nah, in fact I actually prefer going on my own. If you want to be with your mates then go do something else but I find that cinema is something certainly best enjoyed alone.

I first started going alone because my general circle of friends only ever seemed to want to go see the movies I would have thought thrice about even renting let alone going to the flix for (ie action/horror/teen comedy) and if by some miracle I was able to drag them to something other than that they're usual opinions ranged from 'uh, thats boring' to 'uh thats ****'. So I finally had enough of this and started going by myself in order to suit myself.

At first I used to feel a bit weird going into the cinema on my own (oooh the guy selling the tickets is gonna think I'm a loser etc etc) but now I don't give a damn.

Positive points of going alone:
    1) you can go at whatever time suits you.
    2) you can go see WHAT you want to to instead of having to lobby it beforehand in a commitee.
    3) there's nobody annoying you by constantly nattering 'did you see that?' or 'whats going on here etc'
    4) after seeing a really good film that the philistines you came with didn't like you don't have to spend the next 20 minutes trying to convince a brick-wall of the movies merits.
    5) 9/10 ten times with a g/f you usually end up going to some piece of derivitive crap anyway cos neither of you want be the first to say 'look! you're coming to this film because this is what I want to see.' and even when either of you do you end up back at (4).

Got all that?

And If it's any consolation to you I saw a film at the Screen cinema about 3 weeks ago and ALL 24 people (men and women) there (and yep I counted them) were sitting alone. Fair enough we were watching an educational documentary on preventing body-odour but that's neither here or there!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah what Pigman the elder said. (all except for the freakishly wierd film he saw in the Screen!)

I love going on my own, always have since I was young. I can't believe people would not go oon their own because of how it looks - WHO CARES!! Is this why women go to the toilet in pairs?! ("Shit Barry's watching, quick esmerelda come with me into the jacks, he'll think I'm a hermaphrodite if I go alone") heh

Ahhh, you find the seat you like, you always get a seat with the person you like. And you usually get to have no-one sit next to you unless its a busy film. You can put your coat on the chair next door, you can stretch your elbows like a PIG! You can scoff your popcorn as if you were a hungry horse with a nosebag. You can fart! (no that I do of course).

Great stuff, I love it and I urge you to break free of your pairing chains and be a sole atom on the planet circulating the solitary sun, if and when it pleases you. The heavenly bodies will still be harmonising whatever way you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If you want to go see a film just go, who cares if anyone actually notices you're there on your own.
    One other advantage I've found of going to the cinema by myself is, if the film turns out to be crap (or your mates hate it) you don't have to listen to them go on and on about it the next time a trip to the cinema is on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

half the cinema thing is social though - getting to discuss films the actors in the film youre going to were in before, what the film was like when its over etc...Ive never actually been to the cinema on my own and dont really plan on doing it any time soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I don't mind going alone, i'd rather go with a friend but without the family :) "what's happening now?, who's he?, blah blah blah"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

If you think about it even with people there (if they shut the f*ck up and watch the film) you are alone anyway. Together alone but still alone. Its you, your mind and the film.

I might feel a bit odd if the cinema is packed and on my own, but thats rarely the case for films I like to see. :)

I'm lucky though cos I have various groups of friends who are unlinked apart from me being the central social node. They are all into different things so I can go with a group that hates action and loves foreign language arty films and theres another group thats action flick mad who hate subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Definitely prefer going to see a film on my own as there are far less distractions. Usually end up going with a group though as I'm apt to say "Really wouldn't mind seeing [insert movie] this weekend" to a few mates, then a few mates say "yeah me too" and you all end up going together anyway. I don't feel at all uncomfortable going on my own and I've always spotted plenty of people doing the same. It shoudn't feel weird but I can understand why it does when some ticket vendors look at you oddly when you ask for just one ticket (this has happened to me a few times - I wonder if it would happen so often if I was male?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Going alone, without any discussion with people before/during/immediately after, is the superior cinematic experience. I like being alone much of the time. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'll have a pint alone (only if I have something to read/write, so don't worry :)), watch a film alone, walk alone etc. Nothing like a bit of solitude. If you've missed films because you didn't want to go alone...you're sadder than any loner geo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it is different if your a girl.
    For years my mother drummed into me that you should never ever go the pitcure on my own. All thses worries about dodgy men in overcoats. But cinemas are a lot different now and Ur likely to get more peace and quiet to watch a flim on ur own them at home with a video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ah come on, once you pass 16 you stop going to the cinema purely to "finger your bird" etc, I almost think it's better when people go to the cinema on their own because then they're not sitting chatting and giggling beside you, or worse still, getting stuck into each other.

I have never understood why someone would feel embarrased going to the cinema on their own, I mean it's just something to do, it's not a status parade if you see what I mean.

I'd usually go to the Irish Film Centre on my own, for instance, and a lot of people who go there WOULD be on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I haven't gone by myself but I don't think I would have any massive problem with it.

If there was a film I wanted to go and see, but none of my friends were going, then I would probably go by myself. People (eg. Rich) don't go by themself as they're afraid they might look sad or something. Those people are idiots. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

[15:07:16] (richindub2): "Going alone, without any discussion with people before/during/immediately after, is the superior cinematic experience."
    [15:07:20] (richindub2): ODD

[15:09:45] (richindub2): getting a bus out to liffey valley on yer own, going to the cinema on yer own, coming home on yer own
    [15:09:52] (richindub2): oddness!

[15:10:26] (richindub2): i cant imagine walking out of the cinema at the end on my own
    [15:10:31] (richindub2): not having someone to talk to about it

[15:12:27] (richindub2): i could understand some arty film there wouldnt be much interest in in the ifc
    [15:12:32] (richindub2): but not anything mainstream tbh :)

^^ sum up my feelings eoni :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I only go w/ my gf.

Cos o my work hours I dont have time to go but when she's around I take time off [having worked like a dogg non stop for the previous 5 months]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I've never gone on my own, and Im not sure that I would either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i've only gone to the cinema once on my own, to see 'dude where's my car' (*shudder*)

i prolly relate going to the cinema alone with that film, which is why i havn't done it since

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stop talking crap and go do what you want!

This option sounds about right!!!

There is nothing wrong with it.. especially if you find yourself off work and all your mates are in work.. nothing better to do so go and see a movie!! Its fine.. Maybe not on a Friday night but then who cares... do any of you people look around when your with all your mates to see if you can spot someone on their own to make fun of? Doubt it (hope not) and that goes for most people. Most dont care if let alone notice if someone else is on their own.

I would prefer to go with someone.. even my Dad i will go with sometimes, more so as he does not have anyone to go with and my mum does not like action movies (unless Leo de Caprio is in them!).

So its fine going on your own sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I don't give two shìts if someone thinks i'm a loser. I think going to a see moive with friends is more fun then ur self. Because after the moive u can review it in a take-away or etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Used to have to return to Uni on a Monday one semester (no classes :cool:), and used up the extra time waiting for a train in Derry by going to the Strand Cinema. Didn't mind going alone at all, and three times I had the place to myself. Wouldn't go in the evening alone though, I'd always be with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I never gone to the cinema alone but I've gone to concerts alone so I dont think it would be a problem.
    Usually I can get at least one of my friends to go to a film I want to see, even if it means lying about the film (eg City Of God had to pretend it wasnt subtitled, waited til they had their ticket before I told them :) ). I would prefer to go with someone but it wouldnt bother me to go alone. The cinema is a great way to kill time, and I've a couple of days during the week when I have big gaps in my college timetable that could be filled nicely by a trip to the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

I'll go on my own a fair bit. If it looks wierd so what, if so it only looks wierd to the other ppl in the cinema who see some nondescript silhouette sitting on it's own. Also it's likely you won't know or meet again the other people in the cinema so who cares what they think. & most importantly people go to the cinema to watch a movie & not play 'spot the wierdo' (i hope:) )

I like to sit close to the front (screen looks bigger & there's less people around the front making noise if the fim's been out for a week or so), but my friends tend to sit towards the back, so i'll end up going twice, once on my own just to sit up the front (which is genuinely sad!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭D nominater

didn't bother voting but i don't see anything wrong with going to the cinema on your own,
    top this :
    once in the local towns cinema the general was showing,i went to see it,on my own,my god what a story,no wait there's more,anyway i went in it hadn't started yet and there was no one else there,a bit later a guy came in and went away and a couple came in and went away(would they have stayed if they'd been totallly alone?),a while later sitting there in my lonesome the female joint owner came in and asked me if i wanted to watch the other film instead, i being naive said no ,because it was crap, not realising that she wanted to not run the film,the film was pretty lame anyway but i'd paid my money... ,so can anyone top that ,own a private cinema or break in at night to watch your own reruns of old pathetic movies or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I don't think theres anything wrong with going to the cinema all alone, but I havn't done it in a good few years - doing a media course at the moment, so there's allways somebody else who wants to partake in the, erm, 'research'.

D nominater:: myself and a couple of friends had the entire cinema to ourselves for Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. We took full advantage - finding the best seats, then the worst seats, running around the place like lunatics. Figured it was a once in a lifetime oportunity to act like d!cks and not have anyone giving out. I'm usually very well behaved in the cinema :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

never gone on my own - but i would if i really wanted to see somthing and it was allmost gone to video or somthing.... but otherwise id wait, dont think its wierd at all, screen is allways full of people on thier own.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

I do really like going on my own. No one can turn up late and piss me off. As for the looking weird thing - it doesn't. Has anyone here ever said to themselves or to anyone else "look at that weirdo! He's here by himself"? It just doesn't happen. Now, if you've got a ridiculous hair doo - it's a different story. :)

Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I once went to see the Full Monty after an interview for a job. I had no idea what it was about before I went in. But when I left I suddenly felt all self-concious that I had gone into see a film wearing a suit were lads git nakid during the day time.

Then there was the time I accidently went into the George wearing a pvc thong but that's off-topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by boogie man
    I do really like going on my own. No one can turn up late and piss me off. As for the looking weird thing - it doesn't. Has anyone here ever said to themselves or to anyone else "look at that weirdo! He's here by himself"? It just doesn't happen. Now, if you've got a ridiculous hair doo - it's a different story. :)

Boog.

Well there was the time I went to see the full monty with me bird, during the day, and this guy turned up on his own in a suit!!! That was a bit weird.

But other than that you're right. Lots of people go to the cinema on they're own - I do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I never gone to the cinema alone but I've gone to concerts alone so I dont think it would be a problem.

That can be a serious drag. Either you find yourself drinking more alcohol just for something to do during the break between support and main act, or you have your car with you (cos you very often have to go to work after for a night duty...) so it's loads of cokes and 7-ups...or those absolutely essential text-messages that you just have to send...

Back on topic, went to four films on my todd this week, and would have been more if the exhaust hadn't fallen off my car yesterday. I want to see most of the major Oscar contenders, and some top notch stuff in the IFC, so there'll be one more tomorrow, and a few next week. Now I know I'm getting obsessive when I'm planning the right train to make it to UGC for 11.15 for Punch Drunk Love, then alloting myself a period for lunch before the 2.10 showing of Metropolis at the IFC. Also tried this last week with the Two Towers and The Man Without A Past, but the Savoy's intermission in the Two Towers put the kibosh on that. Bas**rds!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Well there was the time I went to see the full monty with me bird, during the day, and this guy turned up on his own in a suit!!! That was a bit weird.
    LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've never gone to the cinema on my own, but regularly go to gigs by myself... thats mainly cos none of my friends are into my taste in music tho :)

Advertisement