Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film hype

Options
  • 26-02-2003 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what your view on film hype is i.e all the making of's interviews with actors directors how they did the special effects and massive adds showing all the best bits before the film is even out :rolleyes:

i hate it ! when you watch a great film thats an oldie and youve never seen and so had no hype (.ie know nothing about it) you enjoy it so much more !!!

maybe it just me moaning but i donno - and i know a few of you will say you "you dont have to watch it" but you do ! its too tempting...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I didn't think they showed the making of docmentaries until after the film is released. Some occasions they do it alright but I enjoy watching how the films are made. Then again I am prone to enjoying the technical and aesthetic side of films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Making ofs before the films come out suck. I try and avoid them if I can. Before titanic came out I tried not to see any trailers or making ofs. I enjoyed the film more because of it. Oh shuttup .. its not a bad film. Anyway I try and do the same for most films now as things like the matrix 1 trailers showed nearly all the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Watching those kind of prorams after the movie was made isnt a problem for me and i quite enjoy them but before acctualyl seeing the film it ruins it...I dont particularly like watching trailers either for films in my heart i know that I REALLY want to see like The Two Towers or Matrix Reloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

film hype in general is a bad thing, i much more enjoy going into a film i know very little about and finding out it is an excellent film.
    City of god for example, knew very little about that,had only hear

it was supposed to be good and it was excellent..
    and when i went to see the matrix i was gutted because i had seen all of the good fight scenes a whole chunk of the plot in the making of before hand...

Watching trailers nowadays is like watching 3/4s of the movie in 3 mins, they tell you everything that will happen up untill near the end but then the end is so predictable that you just dont want to see it..well for some movies anyhows. .the new matrix trailers are proper teasers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

personally i think hype is the worst thing u can do artisticly to a film. its the ultimate sell-out as audience numbers and profits will go up wit a hyped film, but every single hyped film i have ever seen has been a huge dissapointment. and i realised afterward that without the expectations and hype about the film already built up, it wud have been ok.

Down With Hype
    Up With Mini-Skirts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jonno
    I didn't think they showed the making of docmentaries until after the film is released.

Sky have a habit of showing them during the first week of release. I certainly remember the Tomorrow Never Dies one being on before release. Anyone remember RTE's habit of showing the Making of Indiana Jones documentaries and then showing the movie right after?

(and as for yellum - Titanic sucks wrt storyline - A Night to Remember is a far better movie)

Advertisement