Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman sues cinema for showing ads

• 21-02-2003 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭

Ads in the cinema are a pain in the ass, but aren't going to go away any time soon. However, in America (where else?) ....
    Reuters reports that a high school teacher named Miriam Fisch has filed a lawsuit against Loews Cineplex, claiming that they robbed her for four minutes.

In a class-action lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on behalf of all Loews patrons, the Chicago-area English teacher claims the theater circuit's policy of playing pre-film product commercials amounts to a deceptive business practice because the ads begin at the time advertised as the start of a feature movie.

"It is completely ludicrous to have moviegoers pay good money to watch commercials," said attorney Douglas Litowitz, who is representing Fisch in her suit. "They can do that at home for free."

The suit seeks "lost time" damages of up to $75 per plaintiff covered under a class action, as well as an injunction to force Loews to stipulate separately when its onscreen ads will run and when movies will play.

Litowitz said he may target other big chains with similar suits in the future. "We feel the most people would be best served by going after the biggest chains," he said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dont people know that everybody suffers when you sue? :rolleyes:

made me laff anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Now last time i went to the cinema, i found myself in this hole called "UCI" ... stickey floor etc. uck. Anywhy there was at least 10minutes of crappy ads. If i could get €75 per minute of ads shown i could make some nice money. Anyone up for a law suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

She has a point tho. I mean I once clocked the savoy cinema doing 6 minutes of movie trailers preceeded by 9 minutes of car/phones/etc ads before one film which I find is marginally taking the piss.

I make a point never to watch any ads on TV so I certainly don't need to see them in a cinema when I've already paid what I would consider over the odds for a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't mind trailers at all .... the ads can get annoying, though. I go to the cinema at least twice a week, and the ads are more or less the same every time (Diamond Solitaire rings, red bull floppy tits, sugar tampax etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

If having a few ad's before the film keeps the cost of going to see it down, then i don't give a toss.
    I'm assuming they are factored into the price of your seat in some way, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

oh have you seen the ad for "JC" in ster century (the most overpriced cinema in dublin.

JEsus christ... two women in a laundromat fighting over jesus christ.
    beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

ster century, while slightly more expensive than other cinemas more than makes up for it in comfort and cleanliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yah Ster Century is the best around, but ads do annoy me in a cinema i dont mind trailers as i have on one occassion seena film twice just to see the trailer on before it, LOTR and the exclusive TT trailer.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

sugar tampax etc.)

GOD, I hate that ad.

I hate trailers in general as well cos they tend to ruin a film for me. The best films ive seen are the ones where ive managed to not see the trailer. my friends agree, i can remember 3 of us diving for the remote when the add for the 2 towers came on the TV.
    Anything over 5 minutes of Ads is taking the piss, but im starting to just come to the cinema late so i miss most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    oh have you seen the ad for "JC" in ster century (the most overpriced cinema in dublin.

JEsus christ... two women in a laundromat fighting over jesus christ.
    beautiful

Oh god i hate that ad so much. All i can say is that there is a line and they crossed it.

They never gave out his phone number though, he sounds like a nice bloke :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I actually really enjoy the trailers :) the ads though are a pain in the ass specialy that one...(think it was a vodafone) where had those two retards and one was saying come and see us come and see us come and see us...or somthing....it was loads of people doing improv...also i hate the one " how does drug addiction effect you"... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

aren't the ads used as*making out* time before the movie starts?

unless tis a teaser trailer for T3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

nah who cares about the ads what pisses me off and usually happens in uci in the square is they leave the walllights on, on dim! or the back door is left opened and hear **** out side.

While ster century is like what 1-2euro more expensive its worth that and feckin more, the place is usually spottless, class screens and comfy seats, the drink holders in there in a queear place tho but ahhhh doesn't make a mark on everything else, tis really well run.

and pizza hut jus across the way for the buffet :D

ok maybe you've made your case for ster century, but i have one more question.

How many times have you bought tickets for the 8.00pm show and then, due to dublin's poor transportation service, you discover you shall be late.

BUT HAVE NO FEAR

your friend who is waiting will tell you "ah sure the film won't start till 10 past because of the trailers and ads."

what i say is PUT THE FILMSTARTING TIME DOWN AT AN ACCURATE 8.10PM right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    what i say is PUT THE FILMSTARTING TIME DOWN AT AN ACCURATE 8.10PM right?
    Gee, I don't know? Perhaps you might subsequently use this inside information to 'accidentally' miss the ads on future visits?

stop using logic.

i could do that, but some trailers are hilariously ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

That Jesus ad is the best thing i have ever seen!! When i saw it in a packed cinema (LOTR i think it was) I burst out laughing and got some pretty strange looks .... bloody hilarious!! Almost as funny as those people staring into the sky during the angelus on RTE 1 - united by Christ! *sniff* its touching!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

anyone else sick of seeing that aib where he's in the savoy. He's in a cinema were in a cineam, we get it!

THe AIB ad, ah yes

i'm like "why not show him walking outside and getting hit by a car, i mean that could happen"

****ing eats some popcorn and becomes a chef, fup off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 awweb

Killian has it in one ..

Ya gotta love the PEPSI add though with the barbie dolls .. thats good for a laugh ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What get's to me is how ill-placed some of the ads are. I went to see the Transporter (I know, I know), and the entire audience was four guys - there was two different ads for tampons. :rolleyes:

when i was 7 i used to think that Tampons were something girl's used for their legs.

EVERY AD had some girl running around semi naked, showing off her long legs (most likely tanned).

i was very confused and frankly i wish they were something for girl's legs.

Advertisement