Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to the Aviva

Options
  • 25-03-2015 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi

I am heading from Fermanagh for the match at the Aviva on Sunday.

I normally come from the Belfast direction and park at the Howth Junction Station and take the Dart

Is there a Dart station anywhere near if coming in from the N3 direction

Or what is the alternative as I don't fancy driving across Dublin particularly with 50,000 other fans trying to do the same

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

you could park in the M3 Parkway Train station (Just off Junction 5) and get a train into Connolly or Pearse. Then get a Dart to Lansdowne Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

chewed wrote: »
    you could park in the M3 Parkway Train station (Just off Junction 5) and get a train into Connolly or Pearse. Then get a Dart to Lansdowne Rd.

Personally I wouldn't park at the M3...only because there are less trains heading out that far and especially on the day and time you'll be looking to head back at. If Im going to the Aviva I usually park near Ashtown train station and go from there. You can park for free without getting clamped on Rathbourne ave so 3 min walks to the station. You get the train from there and change to the dart at Pearse Station

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

Thanks for both comments.

From Irish Rail Journey Planner it looks like there is only train an hour leaving and the same for the return journey. Last train leaves Landsdown Road at 22:00. Or do you think more trains will be put on for the match?

Will my car be safe enough at Rathbourne Ave?

Finally do I need to change at Pearse as I am looking at a Dart map that suggests that the train from Ashtown stops at Landsdown Road without changing http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Dublin-DART-Map

Thanks again for both posts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

The easiest thing to do is drive straight down the M1, through the port tunnel, past the O3 Arena, across the toll bridge and park in the clan Na Gael GAA club for €5 and a ten minute walk to Landsdowne Road.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zF1cOseQu90o.kefjIM9ASy_M&msa=0&ll=53.338324,-6.216674&spn=0.001842,0.004823
    I always do it, after the game you can be back on the M50 in fifteen minutes from when you get in your car.

eamonpk wrote: »
    Thanks for both comments.

From Irish Rail Journey Planner it looks like there is only train an hour leaving and the same for the return journey. Last train leaves Landsdown Road at 22:00. Or do you think more trains will be put on for the match?

Will my car be safe enough at Rathbourne Ave?

Finally do I need to change at Pearse as I am looking at a Dart map that suggests that the train from Ashtown stops at Landsdown Road without changing http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Dublin-DART-Map

Thanks again for both posts

I'd say more Darts will be put on but probably no more trains out to Ashtown, but no harm to give Irish Rail a quick ring and find out. Your car would be safe enough on Rathbourne Ave, its a Residential area and I've never had and problems, I used to live there also. You definitely have to change - Pearse is the last stop and everyone has to get off. On you link/map there you are changing from the purple/lilac commuter line to the green dart link at Pearse. When you plan your journey on the Irish Rail website just click "i" info and it will give you the details of the journey which includes the change from train to dart.

billy few mates might have the best suggestion for you at that time of night for you to get home quick

• Advertisement

The easiest thing to do is drive straight down the M1, through the port tunnel, past the O3 Arena, across the toll bridge and park in the clan Na Gael GAA club for €5 and a ten minute walk to Landsdowne Road.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zF1cOseQu90o.kefjIM9ASy_M&msa=0&ll=53.338324,-6.216674&spn=0.001842,0.004823
    I always do it, after the game you can be back on the M50 in fifteen minutes from when you get in your car.

I rang about trains to Ashtown on Sunday night and the girl didn't know of any extra trains so

I am coming in from Navan/M3 direction - To get to onto M1 and Port Tunnel do I have to get off the M3 and join M50 until I meet the M1 from the Belfast direction and then head to the port tunnel?

How much is the port tunnel?

Thanks

If you are coming from the M3 you could just keep heading straight in the Navan Road and continue onto the Cabra Road and then turn left onto Sheriff street upper then turn right continue past the Three Arena and into the GAA grounds billy few mates suggested. Its a very straight forward drive (literally straight all the way) and I often do it at the weekends and its fine traffic wise but don't know what it would be like the day of a game in the Aviva. The M50/Port Tunnel might be quicker traffic wise but if you are coming in plenty of time I imagine both routes would be fine. If you want to go that way then yes you are right - you join the M50 at junction 6 off the N3 coming from Navan it's well signposted, and continue on the M50 until you get to Junction 3 (Junction with M1) branch left but stay in right hand lanes then and follow signs for City Centre/Dublin Port, you merge back onto the M50. Think the toll on the tunnel is €3, it was anyway last time I used it anyway once outside busy commuter times

eamonpk wrote: »
    I rang about trains to Ashtown on Sunday night and the girl didn't know of any extra trains so

I am coming in from Navan/M3 direction - To get to onto M1 and Port Tunnel do I have to get off the M3 and join M50 until I meet the M1 from the Belfast direction and then head to the port tunnel?

How much is the port tunnel?

Thanks

M3 to the end then left on to the M50 to the end, turn right heading for town, keep right for the tunnel, follow the road out of the tunnel, 03 Arena on your right, cross the bridge in front of you, through the toll booth, follow the road round the bend, straight across the roundabout, GAA club on the left.
    It really is a simple route to follow. There's rarely any traffic unless there's a concert in the 03. €3 for the tunnel.
    or you could avoid all the tolls by adding another half hour to your journey if you wish..?

Thanks to all - yes will take the M3 - M50 - Port Tunnel route and park at the GAA ground. Just need Ireland to put in a good performance now

Sorry, I can't help you with that.
    If you want to be sure of visiting the Aviva when Ireland put in a good performance you have to go when the Rugbys on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement