Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F.3.A.R (Fear 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

First review is up and surprisingly came out good...

Looks really good lads, multiplayer looking fantastic i'll defo picking this one up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I completely forgot that this was coming out. It really kept a low profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

humanji wrote: »
    I completely forgot that this was coming out. It really kept a low profile.

Not for me. I'm subbed to the RSS feeds for Destructoid and Kotaku. Not a week went by where there was some form of update for this. Hopefully there'll be no mood-ruining mech action.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved the 1st game. Really well made imo. Some genuine scares too. 2nd one, not so much, but i might give it another go before playing this. Actually looks pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

yeah, i loved the first one, but never got too far in the second, it just wasnt working for me at the time. I may have to revisit this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm any ideas on a spec needed for pc? And when it's out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I hope the pc version isn't just a bastardised console version like it was with fear 2. That game was such a let down after the fantastic fear 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

very disappointing game imo

as a generic shooter its fine, but it lacks any sort of personality or anything remotely interesting about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

My feelings on the second game seems to be along the lines of what most of you have posted. Not very good. Maybe I didn't give it a chance. I'm kinda tempted to install the second game again and give it another go. Think I might wait and see how the third one pans out and see if it's worth my while to bother getting back into it.

This most certainly was one of the lowest profile launches I have seen in a fairly well know franchise in a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My biggest gripe with the second game was that it all too easy, it felt like it was dumbed down for consoles. They released a patch that made it harder but I still pissed through it, often clearing levels without getting killed, even on the hardest difficulty. First one was epic, and really difficult.

The guy in the review is right though, all FEAR games need surround sound to fully get the whole experience, preferably in a dark room late at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I think my biggest problem was the camera bob. It was very off putting and didn't feel natural at all. Even when you turned it down it was even more annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Loved the first one, played it to death in MP, I liked the second one too, obviously it was never going to be graphically brilliant relative to the first ones release given that it was developed primarily with consoles in mind (and realistically, who can blame them, when consoles are the vastly bigger market) but it was a pretty solid game, I really enjoyed it. The mech bits were brilliant in my opinion, really great feel to them, I've played vastly inferior games that are actually based totally around mech combat. Really looking forward to this one.

My feelings on the second game seems to be along the lines of what most of you have posted. Not very good. Maybe I didn't give it a chance. I'm kinda tempted to install the second game again and give it another go. Think I might wait and see how the third one pans out and see if it's worth my while to bother getting back into it.

This most certainly was one of the lowest profile launches I have seen in a fairly well know franchise in a long while.

Don't m8. I tried to give it a second chance a month ago. 17gb of install nightmare, then 30mins of playing it and uninstalled it after.

Helix, would it be more of the lines of first on second game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmmm any ideas on a spec needed for pc? And when it's out?

Its out the 24th I think.I loved the first never finished it though,got the 2nd one on a steam sale,will pick this up when its nice and cheap.

Helix, would it be more of the lines of first on second game?

review here if it helps any:
    We like a good scare as much as the next person, which is why we were particularly looking forward to the latest instalment in the F.E.A.R. series. While the second game was a little hit and miss at times, and did occasionally feel like a bit of a letdown, the original was so drenched in atmosphere and pant browning moments that we were sure Day 1 and Monolith were going to serve up the excellent return to form we’ve all been craving.

The game takes place nine months after the events of F.E.A.R. 2, and once again follows Point Man. Going it alone without a F.E.A.R. squad to back him up this time, Point Man is accompanied by the spectre of his dead cannibal brother Paxton Fettle in a bid to finally end the paranormal influence of their mother Alma Wade. While Point Man seems to be set on his target, Fettle continually tries to convince him that finding and destroying Alma is not the way to go, and that as a family they should be sticking together.

To complicate matters even further Alma (who was previously killed, but now seems to exist in the form of pure paranormal energy) is pregnant, and suspicions are that the ever increasing paranormal events taking place in Fairport are signalling the imminent arrival of her latest spawn, meaning even more bad news for the remaining earthly inhabitants of the city.

With John Carpenter and Seven Niles on board to help with the narrative and cut scene side of things, F.E.A.R. 3 really should have been the ultimate instalment of the series to date. With so much previously established mythology to build upon , as well as the fact that the original was one of the scariest games ever made, it seemed like we were truly set for something special.

However, somewhere along the way something went horribly wrong. F.E.A.R. 3, despite being as competent a first person shooter as you’ll find anywhere, feels rather unfortunately like a bit of a non event. As things kicked off we weren’t surprised that the pace was somewhat slower and less menacing than we have come to expect from the series, given the need to ease newcomers into the overall feel of the franchise. As we picked our way through a quickly destabilising prison, there were moments where we felt like big things were just around the corner. A sudden sense of uneasiness set in as things went dark and we were forced to rely on our flashlight in order to make our way through the maze of cells and corridors, just waiting for the inevitable scare that awaited us. But it never came.

This was a pattern that repeated itself from start to rather disappointing finish. The game almost exclusively relies on loud and unexpected musical cues in order to make you jump – a cheap replacement for actual horror, and something that begins to grate as you get further and further into the game.

Alma’s influence is disappointing, and it’s not until the last half an hour or so that things really start to heat up and then, just like that, it’s over. Our first play through of the campaign as Point Man lasted no more than four and a half hours which, although increasingly common in first person shooters nowadays, simply isn’t good enough in our books. Some may point at the fact that you can play through the game again as Fettle should you wish as a minor saving grace, but while he does bring a different feel to things, it just feels like a bit of a cop out.

Sure, people will point at the multiplayer and say that that’s where the game’s real intentions lie, but without the intensity and edginess of the first two games it’s just another generic first person shooter experience. Co-op play features heavily in the multiplayer, and the Contractions mode is certainly fun with a decent team, but it’s essentially Gears of War’s Horde Mode with less interesting enemies and slightly duller maps.

It might sound like we’re being unduly harsh on a game we have already pointed out is actually a really solid shooter, after all the mechanics are all spot on from the mech suit control to the gunplay, and even the cover system has its moments, but there is such a dearth of anything even remotely new on offer that the whole thing feels like a chore from start to finish – and not so much as an occasional scare to keep us going.

In short it’s a serviceable shooter that’s pretty to look at and handles exceptionally well, but walk into any game store these days and you can’t spit for hitting a dozen titles that could be summed up in much the same way. Hopefully Monolith and Day 1 will up their game next time around.

First one had scary moments perfectly fitted in rare spits. Second one was overfilled with scary crap that it became common and meh. Third one decided just cab with scary ****, let's just shoot stuff!

Sort of disappointed. I wont buy any new shooters unless they bring something new on the table.

Cheers man.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

4 1/2 hours? **** that.

Kiith wrote: »
    4 1/2 hours? **** that.

im sure some would argue that it's double that if you choose to play through with fettle, but yeh, its very bloody short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Helix wrote: »
    im sure some would argue that it's double that if you choose to play through with fettle, but yeh, its very bloody short

hmm.. think I'll wait till this is in Steam's summer sale next year :pac:

I did get FEAR 1&2 for €10 the other day off steam so that should keep me going :D

i picked them up too, great deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Played first half hour of it via Onlive at below link. It's all right, seems very like the 2nd one. They've tweaked the cover system so it's a bit easier to use than I remember in the 2nd. Not much horror bits at the start but I did love the opening intro, very stylish and atmospheric. Only weapons near the start are an SMG and a shotgun -> shotgun is awesome! Proper Quake-style gibs if you're close enough to the enemies when you unload it. Enemies can be quite aggressive too, forcing you out of hiding and flanking you. I loved the first two so I'll pick up the full game at some point, but I can't see it converting anyone to the series.

Here's the link if your connection is up to spec:
    http://play.onlive.com/go/f3ar?autoplay=force

I'm on UPC 30mb and using wireless, but there's enough talk of Onlive elsewhere on Boards.ie if you're interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

For me i liken it to the summer blockbusters in cinema's, before the Oscars you have the well thought out, moving, thought provoking films with numerous different layers in them, in the summer stuff blows up and cars go fast:D.

Yea it does nothing new but everything it does do it does really well and while your playing it, it is quite enjoyable.

Gameplay is very solid no real glitches or invisible walls etc.
    Graphics very good, even the missus was impressed saying "it looks so real ....look at all that dirt on the floor !!"
    Story& voice work is fine, it won't win and prizes but isn't cringe worthy

Its a bit like Singularity which came out around the same time of year. Entering a market with tons of shooters that are similar, taking the good points and avoiding the pit falls.

When your staring down a summer long dry spell its a game you could pick up along the way to fill the void.

i thought singularity was great to be honest, much better than this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

singularity was the business. totally underrated.

singularity was the business. totally underrated.

Its very good, stole large chunks from FEAR though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So anyone bought this yet? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged (and this one renamed to make it easier to search for!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Headshot wrote: »
    So anyone bought this yet? Any good?

Nope. Have some one4all vouchers. Went into HMV and they only had console version. Bought dungeon siege 3 instead

Yea finished it, really enjoyed it. But i should say i don't play many shooters so imnot suffering from FPS fatigue like many others.

It took me longer than 4.5 hours to finish but im not great at shooters. While not the longest game it did end just before it started to get repetitive so that's a good thing.

Co-op mode is good too. Interesting multiplayer (they have their own version of nazi zombies ...just without the nazi's and the zombies but the same premise).

Not as scary as 1 which suits me i don't like scary games :o more like fear 2 or dead space 2. More action, few "jump out at you" scares but not much of the "oh no nothing is happening this is really creepy" kind of atmosphere.

Graphics are great, gameplay is flawless, story is ok (not great but not cringe worthy either).

It is what it is, go into it expecting a shooter that will give you a few evenings entertainment and you will enjoy it, go in expecting it to change the world of gaming you will be let down. In the same way you wouldn't go to Transformers then moan about the scripting.

Steady 77 on meta too with a 85 from Machinima, 80 from Euro gamer & IGN

My own review won't be published until tomor but its getting a 7.5 out of 10. About the same score Shadows of the Damned is getting which after a bright start has started to loose its way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement