Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity exams

Options
  • 11-04-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys I'm new to this boards.ie thing so go easy on me. I am doing political science and geography in trinity and it's my first year. I am kind of freaking out about exams as I have not done a lot of work this year at all bar handing in all my assignments. I really don't want to have to repeat as that would mean me coming back from toronto early and cutting my trip short. Is there any advice or pointers you guys could maybe give me?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

1. Get to the library and stay there.
    2. Learn your lesson and work harder next year.

I don't mean to be unfeeling, but if you didn't bother to do any work throughout the year then it's hardly fair to expect people to come and give you all the answers to passing your exams, especially when others have made a lot of effort and put the time in throughout the year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you'll have to resit, everyone is capable of pulling through if they put their mind to it. But it's going to take a hell of a lot of YOUR OWN discipline and motivation and won't be down to others helping you out.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

There's plenty of time yet. Just knuckle down and do your best for the next 2 weeks. I know a lot of people as well as myself who leave all the work til the very end and cram it at the end (Not recommended btw but...). It's not too late yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Siobhan6 wrote: »
    made a lot of effort and put the time in throughout the year.

To be fair most people cram the course once lectures are over in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

So, say I have 23/30 going into the exam , do I need just another 17 /70 from the exam paper to pass or do I need to get over 40 in the actual exam to pass overall? :confused:

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

double post

• Advertisement

zinfandel wrote: »
    So, say I have 23/30 going into the exam , do I need just another 17 /70 from the exam paper to pass or do I need to get over 40 in the actual exam to pass overall? :confused:

TIA

I think it depends on your course and module. I've heard a lot of people asking this question over the last few weeks and I've heard no definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

zinfandel wrote: »

TIA

Depends on the module/course. Email your lecturer/year head/course director and they'll be able to tell you the grading system. In some you just need to pass overall, in others you need a minimum grade in the actual exam to pass (regardless of continuous assessment).

What are the actual exam rooms like in the RDS? Are they just big halls with hundreds of people in them, or are they small sectioned off classroom sort of things.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    What are the actual exam rooms like in the RDS? Are they just big halls with hundreds of people in them, or are they small sectioned off classroom sort of things.

One big huge hall with around 1000 students all sitting different exams. Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

One big huge hall with around 1000 students all sitting different exams. Nightmare.

I honestly don't know why people dislike massive exam halls that much. It is slightly intimidating when you're getting ready before the exam, but once the paper starts you're just in your own bubble oblivious to everything.

Now what is a nightmare sometimes is getting there. 4 and 7 buses are always absolutely packed. It's a good idea to let yourself have plenty of time to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I honestly don't know why people dislike massive exam halls that much. It is slightly intimidating when you're getting ready before the exam, but once the paper starts you're just in your own bubble oblivious to everything.

Now what is a nightmare sometimes is getting there. 4 and 7 buses are always absolutely packed. It's a good idea to let yourself have plenty of time to get there.

When the nearest clock is 30 metres away it can be quite annoying.

I know you can bring a watch, but I prefer going by the exam clocks. Paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

For anyone heading to the RDS for exams, I always found the DART to be a good option in comparison with buses. Reliable on a day-by-day basis during exam week, and it was never packed coming from the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If you're within a reasonable distance, its a very nice walk when the weather is good. Its more relaxing than a stuffy bus full of stressed students as well

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Always have 20 - 30 euro with you for Taxi. When bus after bus sails past the stop, when somebody jumps in front of the dart. It happens

IF you don't use it give it back to Mum / Dad

For anyone heading to the RDS for exams, I always found the DART to be a good option in comparison with buses. Reliable on a day-by-day basis during exam week, and it was never packed coming from the north side.

This.

Only issue I ever had with getting the DART over the past two years was a bit of drizzle walking back to Sandymount station after one exam.

It's not that I get intimidated by it, just the usual exam venue noise is magnified and also with there being so many different papers being sat there's usually loads of announcements regarding errors etc on papers you're not sitting which I find very distracting.

I've no exams there this year so I'm grand :P definitely recommend the DART or walking for anyone heading there, don't rely on the buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

The disability service provide alternative exam venues for some students who find the large halls intimidating and anxiety provoking. If you're not one of them then great, but it is a big issue for many students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 antel0pe

If you fail an annual exam, can you do the supplemental exam for that module? Or does that only apply in special circumstances?

antel0pe wrote: »
    If you fail an annual exam, can you do the supplemental exam for that module? Or does that only apply in special circumstances?

Depends.

In most cases, yes.

For final year students, some JS and some modules in other years, there are no supplemental exams. It's a scary concept for my course who only have one shot at passing this year.

Your year head or course coordinator should have alerted you if you have no supplemental exams.

Also, if supplementals do exist for your module, you have to put some effort into the annual exam in order to be allowed sit the exam (you won't be able to sit the supplemental if you write nothing down or don't turn up without valid reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

chynes95 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm new to this boards.ie thing so go easy on me. I am doing political science and geography in trinity and it's my first year. I am kind of freaking out about exams as I have not done a lot of work this year at all bar handing in all my assignments. I really don't want to have to repeat as that would mean me coming back from toronto early and cutting my trip short. Is there any advice or pointers you guys could maybe give me?
    Thanks.

way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 chynes95

I don't mean to be unfeeling, but if you didn't bother to do any work throughout the year then it's hardly fair to expect people to come and give you all the answers to passing your exams, especially when others have made a lot of effort and put the time in throughout the year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you'll have to resit, everyone is capable of pulling through if they put their mind to it. But it's going to take a hell of a lot of YOUR OWN discipline and motivation and won't be down to others helping you out.

Best of luck

I hate you Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

chynes95 wrote: »
    I hate you Siobhan
    I'm not sure you're mature enough to be in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

Man, you're in a lot of trouble if you haven't done your work. It'll be a minimum wage job for you now. Trinners for winners yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chynes95

bray man wrote: »
    Man, you're in a lot of trouble if you haven't done your work. It'll be a minimum wage job for you now. Trinners for winners yeah?

Any ghoshtss on ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lerusester

Best of luck

Ey yo siobhan lemme holla at you gurl. Y u think u can tell a brother off like that? It ain't right. Why don't u take that talk of discipline and walk it right on into the kitchen where you BEST be pepperin some angus yo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lerusester

[quotemature enough awliet;90142432"]I'm not sure you're mature enough to be in college

Sorry wot im ****ing sixteen and am in the piss every weekend who u think is maturer than men that's right no one

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

lerusester wrote: »
    Ey yo siobhan lemme holla at you gurl. Y u think u can tell a brother off like that? It ain't right. Why don't u take that talk of discipline and walk it right on into the kitchen where you BEST be pepperin some angus yo

I'm rather skilled in the kitchen too, I'm multi-disciplined ;)

Advertisement