Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers glasses falling apart

Options
  • 02-02-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of glasses from Specsavers about 3 months ago. I paid a lot for them as I got all the trimmings. As of late, I have noticed that they are beginning to fall apart in many places- the hinge keeps loosening and the screw holding the ear piece has unscrewed itself and popped out, the bottom of the rims seem to be coming apart, etc. I don't think I still have my receipt. Do I have any comeback? I want to be informed before going in as I don't want to be fobbed off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

kaji wrote: »
    I bought a pair of glasses from Specsavers about 3 months ago. I paid a lot for them as I got all the trimmings. As of late, I have noticed that they are beginning to fall apart in many places- the hinge keeps loosening and the screw holding the ear piece has unscrewed itself and popped out, the bottom of the rims seem to be coming apart, etc. I don't think I still have my receipt. Do I have any comeback? I want to be informed before going in as I don't want to be fobbed off.

Of course you have a come back, your first step is to go back to where you bought them and give them a chance to have a look at them. I am sure they should have your details on file anyway. It would be preferable if you have receipt but they should be able to check your history.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Assuming that you haven't mistreated the glasses, then yes, you have recourse. You can expect to be offered a refund, replacement or repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Of course you have a come back, your first step is to go back to where you bought them and give them a chance to have a look at them. I am sure they should have your details on file anyway. It would be preferable if you have receipt but they should be able to check your history.

Guaranteed that they will, the glasses have to be made up to a prescription which would be on their database plus I would expect your purchase history so I don't see that you'll have any problem. It would be advisable to go back to the same store.

I've had two repairs done by Vision in Stillorgan (might now be back to it's original name Donal McNally) since my last eye test and glasses purchase, the first was free and they only charged me €5 for the second repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP I generally find specsavers excellent for dealing with repairs. I have had they fixed 2 year old glasses with new parts for free.

But glasses from a brick and mortar store are a rip off here. I brought a pair of ray bans online for €100, that were €209 in vision express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

hfallada wrote: »
    OP I generally find specsavers excellent for dealing with repairs. I have had they fixed 2 year old glasses with new parts for free.

But glasses from a brick and mortar store are a rip off here. I brought a pair of ray bans online for €100, that were €209 in vision express

Plus 1 to that. Go back and talk to the store. You may not have a consumer issue at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mikemove

Ive had it with specsavers..
    Progressively worse service and products over the last few years..
    My last 2 pairs broke at work... ok, they get some abuse, but I have reading glass's from the pound shop for pennies, that are still in one piece, and twice as old.
    I was recently advised after a SS eye test, and another breakage story, to go for €215 "Titanium frames" by SS sales person.
    "You NEED these!" were her exact words... sounding very pleased with herself like she had solved all my breakage problems.
    Anyway, the frames arrived 1 week after ordering... they dint seem any stronger, and actually, may even be more flimsy around the hinges... only time will tell.
    When I put them on, couldnt see a thing! complete wrong lens's... with very shallow depth of field, only usable in certain situations.
    I was further advised to go for "Tri-Focul"-? lens's... at an additional cost of €145.
    So now ive paid out €360, stil waiting for the glass's to come back.
    Heres the interesting bit,
    As I was desperate to check the remainder of my debit card balance after the succesive visits, I ran into the pound shop and got 2 pairs of reading glass's for under 3 quid while i was waiting for my new SS state of the art, xray vision specs to arrive.
    I was shocked... they are perfect with regard to vision, decent depth of field etc, and have painted black steel frames and a sturdy hinge system... and dare I say it, they are quite stylish in a minimalist kind of way..
    i'm no expert on vision correction, but I know what I can and cant see...SS will probably start giving all sorts of tecchnical warnings, and tell me my eyes will catch on fire on a sunny day and fall out and be eaten by next doors dog for not buying from a "profesional" retailer etc... but fact are facts..€360 or €3... the reult was the same... EXACTLY the same
    Do you really need to spend all that money... are the products really any better... they didnt seem to be in my opinion, maybe a little more choice if you want fashion, but for a multiple of x240 times the price, off the shelf cheapies are definately a choice worth considering.

Look - we can't offer medical advice here. Only an optician or higher can truly tell you how to mind/care for your eyes.

But to treat your post as a consumer issue - did you raise a complaint about receiving the wrong lenses? You shouldn't be paying to fix a mistake that they appear to have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 event horizon

mikemove wrote: »
    Ive had it with specsavers..
    Progressively worse service and products over the last few years..
    My last 2 pairs broke at work... ok, they get some abuse, but I have reading glass's from the pound shop for pennies, that are still in one piece, and twice as old.
    I was recently advised after a SS eye test, and another breakage story, to go for €215 "Titanium frames" by SS sales person.
    "You NEED these!" were her exact words... sounding very pleased with herself like she had solved all my breakage problems.
    Anyway, the frames arrived 1 week after ordering... they dint seem any stronger, and actually, may even be more flimsy around the hinges... only time will tell.
    When I put them on, couldnt see a thing! complete wrong lens's... with very shallow depth of field, only usable in certain situations.
    I was further advised to go for "Tri-Focul"-? lens's... at an additional cost of €145.
    So now ive paid out €360, stil waiting for the glass's to come back.
    Heres the interesting bit,
    As I was desperate to check the remainder of my debit card balance after the succesive visits, I ran into the pound shop and got 2 pairs of reading glass's for under 3 quid while i was waiting for my new SS state of the art, xray vision specs to arrive.
    I was shocked... they are perfect with regard to vision, decent depth of field etc, and have painted black steel frames and a sturdy hinge system... and dare I say it, they are quite stylish in a minimalist kind of way..
    i'm no expert on vision correction, but I know what I can and cant see...SS will probably start giving all sorts of tecchnical warnings, and tell me my eyes will catch on fire on a sunny day and fall out and be eaten by next doors dog for not buying from a "profesional" retailer etc... but fact are facts..€360 or €3... the reult was the same... EXACTLY the same
    Do you really need to spend all that money... are the products really any better... they didnt seem to be in my opinion, maybe a little more choice if you want fashion, but for a multiple of x240 times the price, off the shelf cheapies are definately a choice worth considering.

I bought the titanium frames trifocals too and the exact same problems as above and to add....had to bring them back as they wer cutting the nose off me...my vision was not centered as one lens was out of focus and now the hinge broke off on the right hand side!!!!I went back to spec saver cruse street limerick and brought to their attention to be told new frames would cost €150..I said noway was I giving specsavers another penny and walked out.....I WILL NOT GO TO SPECSAVERS EVER AGAIN...THEY ARE CON ARTISTS!!!

Zombie thread closed

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

hfallada wrote: »

Not much good for prescription lenses afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

dudara wrote: »
    Zombie thread closed

dudara

Computer says no :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement