Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something eating my internet! Giant phone bills!

Options
  • 16-07-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Big problem! I have 02 mobile broadband with a 15GB allowance, and even though the internet speed here is terrible, I've just lived with it. Got a new laptop in January, an Acer, and it has been grand too.
    But... for the last two months my phonebill has been €250 and then €360, all internet usage costs. Nothing has changed, and I can't figure out what's eating my internet. How do I check on the laptop what has been using the broadband?
    I don't stream music or films, or play online games. I live alone, so I can rule out other people's interference. I'm too far from the nearest house for anybody else to piggyback. I never use the wifi on my phone when I'm at home.
    I have to fix this, but I need help. Is there a way to check which applications are downloading updates, or something like that?
    I recently changed from Macafee to Bullguard security (because it came free with the laptop), could that be it?
    I can get by, but I'm not the most computer literate among us, so I'll never figure this one out myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Big problem! I have 02 mobile broadband with a 15mb allowance, and even though the internet speed here is terrible, I've just lived with it. Got a new laptop in January, an Acer, and it has been grand too.
    But... for the last two months my phonebill has been €250 and then €360, all internet usage costs. Nothing has changed, and I can't figure out what's eating my internet. How do I check on the laptop what has been using the broadband?
    I don't stream music or films, or play online games. I live alone, so I can rule out other people's interference. I'm too far from the nearest house for anybody else to piggyback. I never use the wifi on my phone when I'm at home.
    I have to fix this, but I need help. Is there a way to check which applications are downloading updates, or something like that?
    I recently changed from Macafee to Bullguard security (because it came free with the laptop), could that be it?
    I can get by, but I'm not the most computer literate among us, so I'll never figure this one out myself.

15MB is a a pityful allowance. Flicking through a few pictures on Facebook will see that used up in a matter of hours! You're probably getting raped by O2 for usage above the 15MB allowance.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

If 15MB is your monthly allowance (which is tiny), it's probably windows update downloading patches, etc which has used up the 15MB+, especially if you're not downloading films or music, etc. It happened to my father in law with 3, but at least they cut him off for the rest of the month rather than sending a monster bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Do you mean 15gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Surely you mean 15 GB.
    If so, do you use any of this software?
    Limewire, Kazaa, Utorrent
    or any of these websites?
    Netflix, Youtube, Vimeo

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Sorry, meant GB, not MB! How embarrassing. Post edited accordingly.
    The big issue here is why the bills have suddenly skyrocketed, and whether there's a way to check what's eating it. I can do this easily enough on my phone, there must be a way on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry, meant GB, not MB! How embarrassing. Post edited accordingly.
    The big issue here is why the bills have suddenly skyrocketed, and whether there's a way to check what's eating it. I can do this easily enough on my phone, there must be a way on my laptop.

There are free applications that will monitor bandwidth. (Including the software that came with the dongle)

You should have a fair idea yourself however.
    Do you use any of the sites/applications that I mentioned above?

The internet is so slow here that it's not really worthwhile spending hours on youtube. I glance at a few things then get bored waiting for it to buffer. I don't use any of the other sites, or the software mentioned. The thing that has baffled me is that I have been using 02 for ages, and it has only been the last two bills that were astronomical.
    Can anybody suggest a downloadable app that can monitor the internet usage on the laptop?
    Thanks for all your efforts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

thats crazy.

what sites do you mainly use?
    do you shut off the laptop/computer at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Virus/Botnet/Spam?

Check your PC, it may be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

nice monitoring software here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

notice how ''heavy'' is one youtube video...

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    Virus/Botnet/Spam?

Maybe

OP install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then run a scan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Dartz wrote: »
    Virus/Botnet/Spam?

I was thinking same, 12GB over in month 1, 17GB in month 2.....Botnet, but Laptop would have to be crawling (slow). OP should have cracked up?

Run Malwarebytes (as mentioned) and superantispyware first anyway OP.

If they find nothing then click start and type in Resource Monitor, click it and click on the Network Tab and you'll see a list of whats using your Allowance.

What's listed under Processes with Network Activity and TCP connections?

svchost.exe is no harm, what else is listed there when you're connected to the Internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Make sure iTunes isn't auto downloading podcasts. Burned through a few gb before I fisured out what was going on.

Thanks everybody.
    Nothing found with a malware scan.

Rucking, that was exactly the sort of help I was looking for. Apart from svchost.exe(bullguard proxy) there's a lot of Dropbox action. Could that be it?

Close examination of the phone bill suggests that twice a day there's a chunk of heavy usage. The bill doesn't tell me what time this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Rucking, that was exactly the sort of help I was looking for. Apart from svchost.exe(bullguard proxy) there's a lot of Dropbox action. Could that be it?
    I've never used but it could, how much space have you on it?

If you've dropped a load of stuff in the folder to be uploaded and with your slow connection...yea.

DropBox - yes certainly.

Every time you place a file in it, it will Sync your devices (smartphone ipad galaxytab) with your hardware(pc or laptop).

I see that your problem is that you do not read what you install.

Always ensure to read and Untick or Tick only the correct services / features you require.

Did you manage to install broadband monitor (see my earlier posts) - once you install it, do not install any other components from this software (there are pop ups windows showing while you start using this s/w, just close these - no need to install these)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,843 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would log in to your hotspot's admin settings and be damn sure no other rogue device is connected to your network as well.

Advertisement