Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Humanist Service

Options
  • 02-11-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I was recently at the funeral Mass of the parent of a work colleague and shudders went down my atheistic spine when I considered that if I didn't put any plans in place that my family would probably give me the same type of Catholic send off by default.

Has anyone here been to an atheist\humanitarian service? If so, what's the protocol? I believe the late actor Mick Lally had such a send-off recently.

I always carry an organ donation card and my ideal plan is that my bits (such that are recyclable) should to be passed on as if I was a '98 Ford Mondeo up on bricks. The rest I hope will be incinerated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I had a humanist cermony for my mams funeral. She had originally wanted to leave her body to science but trinity had no room so this was the next big thing. Granted, I was a mess and only child so I didn't organise it as well as I should have regarding pieces of reading, poems etc but she loved music and five songs were played, her friends spoke about her and told stories.
    I think it went quite well and would choose the same for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

I always carry an organ donation card and my ideal plan is that my bits (such that are recyclable) should to be passed on as if I was a '98 Ford Mondeo up on bricks. The rest I hope will be incinerated.

Without linking MM's post re Mount Jerome, (only because I am enjoying this evening) no disrespect to Magic Marker and while typing this CarMe posted so no disrespect intended either.

Carrying an organ donor card is a truly admirable thing to do. However I feel there is a danger in the event you are suddenly in A&E, they may be eying up your bits for transplant recepients on a list......... moral dilemma's and all that stuff! Now a lot of women will not agree with this one re the following, but bits of humour keeps us all going.

And they may like your bits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKuzuE695c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I was recently at the funeral Mass of the parent of a work colleague and shudders went down my atheistic spine when I considered that if I didn't put any plans in place that my family would probably give me the same type of Catholic send off by default.

Has anyone here been to an atheist\humanitarian service? If so, what's the protocol? I believe the late actor Mick Lally had such a send-off recently.

i recently sent an email to the humanist society of ireland , requesting some info about a funeral service , never even got an email reply

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Without linking MM's post re Mount Jerome, (only because I am enjoying this evening) no disrespect to Magic Marker and while typing this CarMe posted so no disrespect intended either.

Carrying an organ donor card is a truly admirable thing to do. However I feel there is a danger in the event you are suddenly in A&E, they may be eying up your bits for transplant recepients on a list......... moral dilemma's and all that stuff! Now a lot of women will not agree with this one re the following, but bits of humour keeps us all going.

And they may like your bits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKuzuE695c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

ShooterSF wrote: »

I remember seeing that on video years ago.....fn orrible stuff!..Think I need a cup of coffee.. Reckon they would not want my liver as they would have to tell the recepient that it contains a lot of red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

My mother-in-law and uncle had humanist funeral services in the UK - separately. The celebrant (a lovely lady) made them both very happy and warm occasions. Now Uncle Ian's event was brilliant - the celebrant reminded us of his views about religion - how he hated nuns as a result of traumas at school, and how he had always hoped to run over one on a zebra crossing, so he could claim that he didn't see her. His coffin was draped with a sash reading 'I told you I was ill', and as the coffin disappeared behind the curtain in the crematorium we sang 'Always look on the bright side of life'. He had planned it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

CarMe wrote: »
    I had a humanist cermony for my mams funeral. She had originally wanted to leave her body to science but trinity had no room so this was the next big thing. Granted, I was a mess and only child so I didn't organise it as well as I should have regarding pieces of reading, poems etc but she loved music and five songs were played, her friends spoke about her and told stories.
    I think it went quite well and would choose the same for myself.
    Fair play...went through a similar experience myself with the death of my Mum in 2007 (I'm an only-child as well) , but she was old-school Catholic, very involved in the local church and I did have a lot of support from her church friends and the undertaker in terms of how to arrange the proceedings.

As I said, wouldn't be my ideal send-off, not by a long shot.

I heard years ago that there's a waiting list for TCD, I wonder if it's the same for UCD?

I had the crazy idea today of recording my own video for the service. Instead of a funeral I think I'll just have a YouTube URL!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had the crazy idea today of recording my own video for the service. Instead of a funeral I think I'll just have a YouTube URL!
    I think if I had a bit of notice I'd do the same.

It's the only way you can be sure that you're not being passed off as a catholic under all that holy water and incense you specifically asked to avoid. Put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak, give people a chuckle and remind them they'll all be dead too in 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dades wrote: »
    I think if I had a bit of notice I'd do the same.
    Dude...we're all going to die, how much more notice do you need?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dude...we're all going to die, how much more notice do you need?
    We if I live to be a hundred the video I make over the weekend is going to be a bit outdated! I'd need to mention something about missing all the flying cars etc.

Advertisement