Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future Of Catholic Schools event in Kilkenny this weekend

• 05-05-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

This should probably go in the Christianity forum, but I think it might get a better response here...

A conference on Catholic schools will be held in St. Patrick's Parish Centre, Loughboy on Friday at 7.30pm and on Saturday from 10am to 12.30pm

On the Friday night, Cardinal Sean Brady will deliver the keynote address in which he will explore the experience of Catholic schools in Ireland today. Then, reflections on the state of Catholic schools will be given by;

• John Curtis, principal of St Kieran's College
    • Ann Daly, teacher and parent of children attending a Catholic school
    • Michelle Cullinane, a student of Loreto Secondary School in Kilkenny

The Bishop of Ossory, Seamus Freeman, will chair the evening's proceedings

On Saturday morning, the work continues with inputs from;

• Fr. Michael Drumm, who will explore the future of Catholic schools in Ireland
    • Ms. Cora O' Farrell, Department Of Religious Studies and Religious Education, St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra, who will reflect on whether the Catholic School can offer a contribution to the community in which it is located and how it is that parents and teachers can contribute to the realization of this task
    • Ms. Maria Spring, Chairperson of the Catholic Primary School Management Association, will examine the Church in school management and how the Church can balance its Catholic values with the growing diversity so evident in modern Irish society

Dialogue, questions and debate on the topics raised will be facilitated by Mgr Jim Cassin, who works as Executive Secretary for the Bishops' Education Commission. The conference is open to all who would like to attend and admission is free

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119364598091930 smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I wonder if this is in response to the moves towards building an ET secondary there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I wonder if this is in response to the moves towards building an ET secondary there....

In other words, a desperate attempt to stay relevant? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

In other words, a desperate attempt to stay relevant? :pac:
    Pretty much :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's a lot of bias in that there lineup. And too much use of the word "reflection".

On reflection I think I'm going to reject attending, in favour of calling in an air strike. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    calling in an air strike. :)
    Now, that's what I call militant atheism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Dades wrote: »
    There's a lot of bias in that there lineup. And too much use of the word "reflection".

On reflection I think I'm going to reject attending, in favour of calling in an air strike. :)
    You should have seen the rest of the article! That information was less than half of it. The rest was tripe about how important the church is :rolleyes:
    Pffft, great, I'll be the only atheist there :p
    Guess I'll have to REALLY stick it to them, so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Chances are they will just do the same as was done with the christian brother's schools and create a 'trust' to run them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Chances are they will just do the same as was done with the christian brother's schools and create a 'trust' to run them.

The ET do you mean?

I think the secondary schools will still fall under the patronage of ET and have the same board of management set up as the primaries..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

What a love in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The ET do you mean?

I think the secondary schools will still fall under the patronage of ET and have the same board of management set up as the primaries..

No.

The order of christian brothers no longer run the schools there was a trust created to over see them.

http://www.erst.ie/aboutus/who-we-are/
    Who we are

We are the Trust body that now own the former Christian Brother Schools in the Republic of Ireland.

The main object of the Company is to ensure and foster the advancement of education and to further the aims and purposes of Catholic education in the Edmund Rice tradition in colleges, schools and other educational projects in Ireland owned or operated by the Company in accordance with the religious and education philosophy of the Company as stated in the Edmund Rice School Trust Charter.

The characteristic spirit of the Trust and of our schools is clearly set out in the Edmund Rice Schools Trust Charter. The Charter underpins and informs the work of the Trust office which is delivered in three interrelated areas: Ethos, Governance and Finance and Property.

The Edmund Rice Schools Trust gives everyone involved in running the ninety seven schools the opportunity to share ideas and pursue best practice together and so give practical expression to the Edmund Rice Schools Trust Charter.

It looks like the christian brothers saw which way the wind was blowing and gave ownership of the schools and their charters and grounds and buildings over to the trust where it can't be touched.
    The handover of the 97 Christian Brother schools in the Republic of Ireland by the Christian Brothers to the Edmund Rice Schools Trust represented a hugely significant milestone in the history of Irish education. In its first year, the Edmund Rice Schools Trust has sought to make the transition seamless while ensuring that the schools continue to receive the support and advice that they deserve.

And from the charter of the trust which provides education in the edmund rice (founder of the christian brothers) tradition
    The Five Key Elements of the Edmund Rice School

● Nurturing faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values;
    ● Promoting partnership in the school community
    ● Excelling in teaching and learning;
    ● Creating a caring school community;
    ● Inspiring transformational leadership

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It looks like the christian brothers saw which way the wind was blowing and gave ownership of the schools and their charters and grounds and buildings over to the trust where it can't be touched.
    Of the four orders I checked last year that were party to the agreement with the government, all four had passed control of most of their cash and other assets to independent "trusts" that were controlled either by members of the religious order concerned, or people likely to be friendly towards them.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been splashed over the front pages.

Advertisement