Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing cars in the housing estates

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No one said you invented the power hose.

The example you linked is not someone simply washing their car. Its someone doing a far more extreme job. It probably beyond most professional cleaning and polishing you can pay for. Its more along the lines of a restoration. No one does that every week, or even every month so its completely irrelevent.

In the UK they wash their cars far more often, its almost a tradition at the weekend. Thats not the case in Ireland. I don't get why someone would go to a car wash then wash by hand then back to the car wash. Again its not the norm so completely irrelevent aswell.

Incidentally one of our cars you can't run through a car wash, something to do with the spoiler. Its in the manual. Which probably explains why the paint is such good condition for its age and colour.

I'm happy that you've missed the rain. It rained only last week. I got soaked walking in it.

No ones interrogating you. You have assume that you post a comment to get a reply. Otherwise you wouldn't post. Its the lack of logic in what your posting thats the problem. I agree with you about water polution or on water wastage. But the level of cleaning you're talking about isn't the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

BostonB wrote: »
    So it comes of the road, but its only a problem if you put it back on the road.

You wash it into the drain with a bucket and a hose. But a few million gallons of rainwater doesn't.

And to prove your point about sludge you show the inside of an engine. Which washing will never reach ever.

I am not trying to prove anything. That photo is a bit outdated nonethless however you can quite clearly there is sludge in the engine. That sludge contains metals and and carcinogenics and in older cars candium. That sludge falls through from the engine directly onto the road.

The next car wheel compresses it and picks some up and it is spun and flung alongside the wheel rim. That is just one source where the grunge is coming from.

The vauxhall astra was covered in dark grimy grung as can be clearly see in the photo's. IMO Grunge falls from engines and is picked up by the following traffic which slowly becomes covered in a dark grimy grunge around the wheel area. Also the pollution from other vehicles

Its irefutable that the grunge contains oils and other carcinogenics and in reply to cunsid i do not have to provide proof as this is a well known fact.

You might want to argue that this grunge isnt falling from engines and exhuast fumes don't build a layer of grimes on the cars.

You might want to argue that traffic doesn't get layered in this grunge.However I do not have to provide proof that this engine waste and exhaust fumes is not full of carcinogenics and other oil based substances as i listed initially. These are well established facts.

There is asbestos in the brake and clutch lining of older cars, This can cause cancer of the lung. The pollutants from the exhuast of a vehicle can cause upper respiratory infections.

How much of that is in the kilo of muck/grime/grung/mud that was removed from the vauxhall astra is unknown. It would be unreasonable to assume that a grimy dark and carcinogenic smelling lump of greasy grung is merely mud from a field and is perfectly safe.

That seems like a reckless attitude and an unreasonable assumption given the many toxins a car is exposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

pirelli wrote: »
    I am not trying to prove anything. That photo is a bit outdated nonethless however you can quite clearly there is sludge in the engine. That sludge contains metals and and carcinogenics and in older cars candium. That sludge falls through from the engine directly onto the road.

The next car wheel compresses it and picks some up and it is spun and flung alongside the wheel rim. That is just one source where the grunge is coming from.

The vauxhall astra was covered in dark grimy grung as can be clearly see in the photo's. IMO Grunge falls from engines and is picked up by the following traffic which slowly becomes covered in a dark grimy grunge around the wheel area. Also the pollution from other vehicles

Its irefutable that the grunge contains oils and other carcinogenics and in reply to cunsid i do not have to provide proof as this is a well known fact.

You might want to argue that this grunge isnt falling from engines and exhuast fumes don't build a layer of grimes on the cars.

You might want to argue that traffic doesn't get layered in this grunge.However I do not have to provide proof that this engine waste and exhaust fumes is not full of carcinogenics and other oil based substances as i listed initially. These are well established facts.

There is asbestos in the brake and clutch lining of older cars, This can cause cancer of the lung. The pollutants from the exhuast of a vehicle can cause upper respiratory infections.

How much of that is in the kilo of muck/grime/grung/mud that was removed from the vauxhall astra is unknown. It would be unreasonable to assume that a grimy dark and carcinogenic smelling lump of greasy grung is merely mud from a field and is perfectly safe.

That seems like a reckless attitude and an unreasonable assumption given the many toxins a car is exposed to.
    We had the army deafness caes some years ago. Will the next big wave of compensation claims come from those unfortunate employees who worked in these carcinogenic car cleaning companies, who must surely have been exposed to much more harm than the neighbour of someone who washes their car once a month ? Or from people who work in car tyre companies or exhaust replacement companies, and who may have been unwillingly subjected to getting this dreadful sludge on their hands / their hands dirty , at some stage ? What about cyclists who sometimes have got splashes of road grunge / sludge on their shoes or trousers ? As you say, "that sludge contains metals and and carcinogenics and in older cars candium."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

People who bother to wash their cars at home tend to maintain their cars, so they don't have oil, fluid or petrol leaks. Washing your car at home using a hose, or spray machine using the old fashioned two bucket system conserves water and uses a fraction of the water used by garages.

The damage done to cars by garage can shorten the life of a car.

So, in all, your neighbour is helping the environment by choosing to wash his car at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

your lucky he didn't tell you to f*ck off, and car washes cost money

...there is sludge in the engine. That sludge contains metals and and carcinogenics and in older cars candium. That sludge falls through from the engine directly onto the road.....

Explain one question. How does sludge in the engine, specifically whats in that photo get out of the engine, and on a road. Considering an engine is a sealed unit, and if sludge and thus oil got out of it, your engine would seize and there would be a loud bang as your engine destroyed itself.

?

jimmmy wrote: »
    We had the army deafness caes some years ago. Will the next big wave of compensation claims come from those unfortunate employees who worked in these carcinogenic car cleaning companies, who must surely have been exposed to much more harm than the neighbour of someone who washes their car once a month ? Or from people who work in car tyre companies or exhaust replacement companies, and who may have been unwillingly subjected to getting this dreadful sludge on their hands / their hands dirty , at some stage ? What about cyclists who sometimes have got splashes of road grunge / sludge on their shoes or trousers ? As you say, "that sludge contains metals and and carcinogenics and in older cars candium."

Is that an attempt at some kind of sardonic humour. Your pointlees tirade has nothing to do with what was discussed on this thread. Who would you sue anyway everyone drives a car and nearly all car wash facilities are self service ?

If you dump a kilo of that down the storm drain it goes straight into the stream.

I can follow my storm drain to our stream and follow that stream from its source and watch as the water becomes less laminar with a higher viscosity forming a milky royal blue colour and you see all the rock and stones covered in indistinct coloured grease. Most of the wild life further down show no visible signs of life in the stream. It's ecos system at this point is destroyed. The flora and fauna does not grow in the usual variety and most is saturated in a greasy mixure and in a slow struggle to meek an existence. This then feeds into the local river.

Flora and fauna and fish and other wildlife do not have the capacity to sue. They either live or they die. They are not trying to cash in on the compensation system.

Explain one question. How does sludge in the engine, specifically whats in that photo get out of the engine, and on a road. Considering an engine is a sealed unit, and if sludge and thus oil got out of it, your engine would seize and there would be a loud bang as your engine destroyed itself.

?

Thats an easy question to answer, there are so many sources in an engine for oil based substances to seep from. There are many fuel oil and air filters that are cloged or simply not working properly that require replacing. Even loose hoses or wires can cause dangerous chemicals to leak.

•replacing points and air filter
    •replacing fuel filter
    •replacing oil and oil filter
    •checking spark plug condition and gap — adjusting or replacing
    •checking distributor condition and operation and adjusting
    •checking and adjusting idle mix and speed
    •checking and replacing spark plug and distributor leads
    •checking and replacing hoses and other minor items in fuel/electrical/emission control system
    •examining vehicle diagnostics and replacing faulty components

• Advertisement

•replacing fuel filter
    •checking and replacing hoses and other minor items in fuel/electrical/emission control system

These are not usual practices when washing your car outside your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thats an easy question to answer, there are so many sources in an engine for oil based substances to seep from. There are many fuel oil and air filters that are cloged or simply not working properly that require replacing. Even loose hoses or wires can cause dangerous chemicals to leak.

•replacing fuel filter

Come on, do you really think that a service causes "kilo's" of sludge to accumulate under your car?

I never washed the underside of my car, I am from a place where the roads are constantly filthy. I will check my car when my OH comes home and just see if there is an abundance of sludge. My instincts are telling me there isn't going to be any at all. Just the hardened dirt and much that came from the dirty roads.

Even still, if this sludge did happen to be there, what has it got to do with this thread?

I have never seen anybody clean the underside of their cars. The op is talking about cleaning the outside on a regular basis, which in Ireland is fine, we have plenty of water. Now, if we have a great summer (most unlikely) and people are wasting water then they might get a fine. But, are the machine wash in garages allowed to operate during this time? If so, why?

I don't think there is anything the OP can do about it. It's a bit of an over exaggeration. What is the main problem with this man washing his car OP? I can't imagine him causing that much of a mess, nor is it going to be there for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

•replacing fuel filter

If you have to do all that when washing, you must be driving a....

2526007974_5993883775.jpg

John_Rambo wrote: »
    People who bother to wash their cars at home tend to maintain their cars, so they don't have oil, fluid or petrol leaks. Washing your car at home using a hose, or spray machine using the old fashioned two bucket system conserves water and uses a fraction of the water used by garages.

The damage done to cars by garage can shorten the life of a car.

So, in all, your neighbour is helping the environment by choosing to wash his car at home.

A well maintained car has a less of an impact on the environment and as this guy washes his car reguarly the the would be the run off would be negliable. However i am only assuming.

No amount of water pollution is good for the environment but obviously the OP has not explained even why it is illegal in his own country.

If you haven't given a good scrub to your car for a long long time then i think it would reckless to dump ( what could amount to a fair sized weight of grung ) down the storm drain into the stream and rivers when you could go to a local garage where the waste is treated in a water treatment system.

After your car is clean it will be easier and more environmentally friendly to maintain.

:D -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

lol this is mad , and all over somebody washing their car , thats like saying dont wash your underwear as all the toxins that your washmachine dumps out will kill rats lol

These are not usual practices when washing your car outside your house.

Who said anything about washing , he asked ONE question how the grime and grung gets on the engine in the first place.

Answer: Through clogged filters and leaky hoses. A list was provided.
    Originally Posted by BostonB
    Explain one question. How does sludge in the engine, specifically whats in that photo get out of the engine, and on a road. Considering an engine is a sealed unit, and .........................

Posting pics of clowns and other *****e jsut reinforces my earlier conclusion.

Some posters here are going out of their way to show what a reckless attitude they have. The thread might be a debate on

Reckless and unreasonable attitudes V reasonable and environmentally friendly attitudes.

• Advertisement

lol this is mad , and all over somebody washing their car , thats like saying dont wash your underwear as all the toxins that your washmachine dumps out will kill rats lol

I would be surpised if they even lift the lid when they piss.

A well maintained car has a less of an impact on the environment and as this guy washes his car reguarly the the would be the run off would be negliable.

That's what I just said. Thread done, stop nitpicking you are beginning to sound like rain man.

That's what I just said. Thread done, stop nitpicking you are beginning to sound like rain man.

I was agreeing with you but we are only making assumptions. I would like to assume the soaps and detergents are eco firendly.

I was agreeing with you but we are only making assumptions. I would like to assume the soaps and detergents are eco firendly.

Yeah, just called him, they are.

•replacing fuel filter

None of thats got anything to do with washing a car.

Those are jobs done when servicing a car. Even then you don't get that much oil on a car doing any job. If it did every garage floor would be slick with oil, which is just nonsense. You'd be a useless mechanic if you were that clumsy. Regardless, none of those jobs move the sludge you are talking about.

This is a 11yr car that never had its engine cleaned, ever.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mo1bu8&s=6
    http://tinypic.com/r/2yma8g1/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I note that the OP has disappeared, probably to seek sympathy elsewhere or down to their local Citizens Rights centre. Or maybe they've taken Legattis' advice !!!!

Why was Legatti banned - for speaking his mind on a Public Forum?? (I may have missed a directly insulting post... sorry if I did..)
    He actually had a point - How many people here would go to a foreign country and start telling their new neighbours, who have probably lived there all of their lives, what they should and shouldn't do.

It's a simple matter ffs. No different really to washing the windows in your house, using the bath or the shower or using weedkiller in the garden. All of this residue ends up in the soil or drains. If it was such a risk to Public health then the companies would not be allowed to produce or sell the products used.

Pirelli - The picture example that you used of the Renault is from under the rocker cover - as others mentioned, it's a sealed unit. In this instance it's obviously done it's job well!!! The only time sludge like that is exposed is when the cover is stripped down or the engine is being serviced or dismantled which generally speaking is only going to happen in a garage in any case and will be governed by waste removal legislation. It can't physically 'fall out' of the engine. Any other residual sludge in an engine bay around pipes etc is as likely to fall out when you're driving (as it's hot and more fluid) than when you're washing.

If you wash your car with soap/detergents you get streaks. Which you then have to rinse off. Don't use them, just plain water, and you'll have no streaks, and only have to wash it once. No offense, but it doesn't sound like you've ever washed a car, or serviced it very much yourself. An engine isn't covered in oil unless you've a major problem with it.

I note that the OP has disappeared, probably to seek sympathy elsewhere or down to their local Citizens Rights centre. Or maybe they've taken Legattis' advice !!!!

Why was Legatti banned - for speaking his mind on a Public Forum?? (I may have missed a directly insulting post... sorry if I did..)
    He actually had a point - How many people here would go to a foreign country and start telling their new neighbours, who have probably lived there all of their lives, what they should and shouldn't do.

It's a simple matter ffs. No different really to washing the windows in your house, using the bath or the shower or using weedkiller in the garden. All of this residue ends up in the soil or drains. If it was such a risk to Public health then the companies would not be allowed to produce or sell the products used.

Pirelli - The picture example that you used of the Renault is from under the rocker cover - as others mentioned, it's a sealed unit. In this instance it's obviously done it's job well!!! The only time sludge like that is exposed is when the cover is stripped down or the engine is being serviced or dismantled which generally speaking is only going to happen in a garage in any case and will be governed by waste removal legislation. It can't physically 'fall out' of the engine. Any other residual sludge in an engine bay around pipes etc is as likely to fall out when you're driving (as it's hot and more fluid) than when you're washing.

Legatti banned!

IMO I kind of felt legatti was misunderstood aswell although as hard as it was to see legattis point it's just as hard to not miscontrue the OP as having a go with someones lifestyle and or hobby rather than point out any legitmate reasons he has for feeling the way he does.

This topic is not something i am all that concerned but as a worst case scenario any hazardous waste should go through a drainage system that feeds to a water treatment plant. As the treehugger site said washing your car is the most unenvironmentally friendly task you can do around the house whether they lump filthy cars with cleaner model cars is unlikely so a i think that the heavy grunge should be diposed of as compliant with the hazardous waste act and or at a garage with the proper drainage and not down the storm drain.

As a lifestyle or hobby i have no qualms with it and hope people get hours of happiness washing their cars.

Its hard to know if it was a genuine issue because he posted so little info about it. Pity.

You also have an issue with mentally disabled people. Your done here buddy!

None of thats got anything to do with washing a car.

Those are jobs done when servicing a car. Even then you don't get that much oil on a car doing any job. If it did every garage floor would be slick with oil, which is just nonsense. You'd be a useless mechanic if you were that clumsy. Regardless, none of those jobs move the sludge you are talking about.

This is a 11yr car that never had its engine cleaned, ever.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mo1bu8&s=6
    http://tinypic.com/r/2yma8g1/6

There ya go It's the dirtiest of Jobs. According to these pictures washing your car is the dirtiest of all tasks. Here is what it leaves behind. ( some of the stains were already there it appears but still what a mess.) If a mechanics has to be regulated then why not the dirtiest of the jobs - washing your car.

A kilo of material was removed fom just the underside of the car and the car is amodern car in relatively good shape.

Before
    before.jpg

During

th_car.jpg

After
    17.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's not a modern car. We also don't know what roads it had driven on, for all we know it could have been a field car. BTW most of the black sludge is rubber, thousands of tires wearing away produces loads of dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TBH, given your explanation how crud and sludge gets out of a sealed engine during a service - it's obvious you know SFA about cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It's also quit obvious that the car has also been treated with a polish or rubbing compound and possibly washed again following this.
    The dirt on that car, even though it originally doesn't look too bad, is fairly ingrained in it and will take more effort and leave a bigger trail of dirt than a car which is regularly washed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Looks like there muck and water left after washing. Perfectly normal.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your opinions Guys.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    That's not a modern car. We also don't know what roads it had driven on, for all we know it could have been a field car. BTW most of the black sludge is rubber, thousands of tires wearing away produces loads of dust.

It could have been a field car! LOL
    TBH, given your explanation how crud and sludge gets out of a sealed engine during a service - it's obvious you know SFA about cars.

Well how the Sweet hell does it get out of car engines. I say leaky hoses and filters etc. The grunge in the pictures is found throughout the engine and comes from anything from clogged filters to leaking hoses.
    It's also quit obvious that the car has also been treated with a polish or rubbing compound and possibly washed again following this.
    The dirt on that car, even though it originally doesn't look too bad, is fairly ingrained in it and will take more effort and leave a bigger trail of dirt than a car which is regularly washed.

Actually it was treated with a rubbing compound. Maybe that's a factor.
    I personally dont have any problem with this set up and i would say the drainage system in built up areas in the Uk is water treated. The problem over here is that they alot less likely to be water treated.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Looks like there muck and water left after washing. Perfectly normal.

That's the idea Paparazzo. Top- Marks. Normal in britain but deadly in areas without water treatment facilities. I.E The republic of ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

lol. I keep getting this image of Maud Flanders - won't someone think of the children. Can't wait for tomorrow. I'm washing both my cars, my girlfriends, my moped, and my motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Also looks like you got someone dodgy to do your patio. Very poor drainage there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

In reference to the OP, if the waste water is going onto a public road (sounds to be in a housing estate), should there not be a drain/gulley nearby? Local council issue if water drainage isn't present on a public road.

You also have an issue with mentally disabled people. Your done here buddy!

Please don't misrepresent me pirelli, I never said I have a problem with "mentally disabled people" (people with special needs to folk not living in 1982).

I said you were beginning to sound like Rain Man. Harping on and obsessing about a someone washing their car and the damage it can do when you could put your energy in to something else! (like helping people with special needs). Cause it's fairly obvious you are bored out of your mind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

php-fox wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine washes his car regularly in our housing estate. Big hose, soapy water all results in the road being covered in dirty water where people walk, children play and so on.
    I wondering is it legal to wash your car like this on a public road in front of people's houses? Isn't that water toxic or contains harmful chemicals?

What can I do to stop him from washing his car in front of my house. (He won't listen to my requests)

Thanks.

"the law does not concern itself with trifles".(De Minimis Non Curat Lex)

What is your loss?

lol. I keep getting this image of Maud Flanders - won't someone think of the children. Can't wait for tomorrow. I'm washing both my cars, my girlfriends, my moped, and my motorbike.

Hah ! No worries there, You haven't even invented storm drains yet in Cork. If you even have any cars that haven't floated away in the floods; throw some more water on them. See if i care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

This has gone way off topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement