Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israeli apartheid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

anymore wrote: »
    For the record, who issued the Palestinian ID ?

Read the article.
    Of course of the Palestinian campaign of violence againt israeli citizens was not being waged, Israel would probably not be so stringent in applying security measures.

Ah, you mean like in the West Bank, where there is no campaign of violence, and where Fatah are actively working with Israel to stop any violence. Well, you see Israel is a racist Apartheid state, and there reasoning for seperating this man, are based on racism. It is an appaling racist act that Israel has engaged in, and it is simply an undefensible act of racism.
    Also for the record, what this man in jail for ?

Fail to see the relevance. The man did his time, and an additional punishment is wrong, especially since it seperates him from his family.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

wes wrote: »
    The Palestinians did engage in a peace process during the whole Oslo thing, while Israel kept stealing land during the peace process.

Sorry to shoot across the bow, but isn't the opposite the truth i.e. that it is only very recently that the Palestianians recognised the state of Israel? I mean, prior to 1967 there was no unified concept of the Palestinian people, and the arab palestinian mandate refused to recognise the jewish state. Even as recently as 2006 Hamas have stated that they didn't recognise Israel as a valid state (although they have subsequently accepted it as a real state).

That's not to forgive what the Israelis did during that time, I'm only saying that the Palestinians weren't exactly blameless either. It annoys me when people who are neither Israeli nor Palestinian (nor even in a wider context zionist nor anti-israeli-arab) take a blinkered approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sorry to shoot across the bow, but isn't the opposite the truth i.e. that it is only very recently that the Palestianians recognised the state of Israel? I mean, prior to 1967 there was no unified concept of the Palestinian people,

The first appeal for an independent Palestine dates back to the 1920's.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Nodin wrote: »
    How do you mean, friend?
    Plus, I hope you agree with and see the wisdom of JohnnySkeltons last and other posts?
    People who dick about with angry "in-your-face" stuff here and elsewhere and do not try to seek a viable and shared approach to a lasting peace between the warring sides is really a hater. One who does not give a damn about the pain and misery of the refugees or the rights of right-thinking Israeli's to have a chance to live in peace with their Palestinian neighbours, under equal conditions and justice, will happily continue the argy -bargy here, with snide remarks and insults and angry denunciations, made thousands of miles from the risk of a dig in the eye.
    Just saying.
    I am sure you would never act like that, friend, eh?

Sorry if I appear to be picking on the posts of just one contributor . It is for convenience .
    So, instead of living in the bloody and increasingly irrelevant past, can you people focus on the today and the here and now, as it affects Palestinians and Israelis?
    Can you look at this article from today's Jerusalem Post and perhaps try to understand what a poor palestinian really feels and wants, eking out a subsistence living in the camps, on aid, not earnings, with a large family and teenagers who are daily risking their lives in pointless, angry street violence??
    http://www.jpost.com/Features/FrontLines/Article.aspx?id=173761
    "Arab World: A tale of two Palestinian authorities
    By JONATHAN SPYER
    23/04/2010 06:13

Is Palestinian reconciliation really in the cards, or must we reconcile ourselves to a Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip?
    Talkbacks (4)

Four years after the Hamas victory in elections to the Palestinian Legislative Council, and three years since the movement’s successful coup in Gaza, the split in the Palestinian national movement has an increasing look of permanence about it. This has major implications for the currently frozen diplomatic process.

This week, Dr. Salah al-Bardawil, a leading Hamas official, said that efforts toward Palestinian reconciliation are “frozen.” In an interview with Al-Kuds, Bardawil stated that communication between Hamas authorities in Gaza and the government of Egypt on the issue of reconciliation had ceased. Talks were now restricted to “matters such as permission for patients to leave Gaza for treatment or the return of deceased Palestinians across the Rafah crossing.”

Bardawil’s message was confirmed on Monday by Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal in a speech in Damascus. Mashaal said Hamas had been urged by Arab officials to accept Quartet conditions, including recognition of Israel, in return for changes to an Egyptian-brokered reconciliation agreement. He said that Hamas had reiterated its refusal. Addressing “the Americans, the Zionists, and everyone,” he asserted that Hamas would not “succumb to your terms. We won’t pay a political price no matter how long the blockade lasts. God is with us and he will grant us victory.”

These statements indicate that there is now no process under way toward ending the Palestinian political divide. On the ground, meanwhile, the rival Ramallah and Gaza Palestinian authorities are entrenching themselves.

PARALLEL TO the rise of Hamas in Gaza, and its ongoing popularity in the West Bank, Fatah is currently in a process of severe decline. The movement failed to embark on a major project of reform following its election defeat in 2006. As a result, it remains riven by factionalism and corruption. It is also, increasingly, irrelevant.

The key Palestinian leader in the West Bank today is Prime Minister Salam Fayyad. Fayyad is not a Fatah member, and his government holds power not as a result of that movement’s authority. Rather, Fayyad is in effect an appointee of the West. The security forces led by Gen. Keith Dayton, which keep him in place, are Western organized and financed, and not beholden to any political faction. His gradualist approach is quite alien to Palestinian political culture, and despite the undoubted improvements this approach has brought to daily life in the West Bank, the level of his support is uncertain.

It remains widely believed that without the presence of the “Dayton” forces and more importantly without the continued activities of the IDF in the West Bank, the area would fall to Hamas in a similar process to that which took place in Gaza.

Veteran Palestinian political analyst Yezid Sayigh recently noted that both the Gaza and Ramallah governments are dependent for their economic survival on foreign assistance. The Fayyad government has an annual $2.8 billion budget, of which one half consists of direct foreign aid. The Hamas authorities, meanwhile, announced a budget of $540 million, of which $480 million is to come from outside (Iran). The dependence on foreign capital reflects perhaps the salient element shared by both Palestinian governments – they are both able to continue to exist because of the interests of rival outside powers that they do so.

The split in the Palestinian national movement is ultimately a function of the broader strategic situation of regional cold war. It is thus likely to continue for as long as this regional reality pertains.

The Middle East is currently divided between a loose alliance of states aligned with the US and the West, and an Iran-led “resistance bloc” of states and movements. Hamas is able to maintain its sovereign enclave in Gaza as a result of the willingness of Iran to arm and finance it. The Gaza enclave serves Iran’s purposes well. It gives Teheran an effective veto over any attempt to revive the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. It also gives non-Arab Iran a direct point of entry into the single most important regional conflict in the eyes of the masses of the Arab world.

The West, which also attaches massive importance to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, has itself in turn been prepared to create, finance and underwrite a version of Palestinian politics and governance – that of Fayyad – which is to its liking, once it became clear that the Palestinians themselves were not going to do this.

The result is that Palestinian politics has been thoroughly penetrated by the larger regional standoff. Each of the regional blocs has its own Palestinian authority, which acts as a laboratory and advertisement for its preferred methods. The Gaza version favors strict Islamic governance and armed struggle to the end against Israel. The Ramallah government – according to Sayigh the less representative of the two – stands for alignment with the West and proclaimed acceptance of a negotiated solution.

The proudest achievement of PLO and Fatah leader Yasser Arafat was the establishment of a single, authoritative Palestinian national movement not beholden to or dependent on any outside power. Such a movement no longer exists. The split represents a profound change in Palestinian politics, which calls into question many of the basic assumptions regarding the conflict which have become received wisdom in Israel and the West over the last couple of decades.

The writer is a senior researcher at the Global Research in International Affairs Center, IDC, Herzliya."

But, of course, reading and commenting critically takes a lot more effort and mental engagement than visceral, glandularly instigated angry, one-way assertions, if I may be so bold as to say?

Irlandese wrote: »
    How do you mean, friend?

I mean that the first calls for an independent Palestine date back to the 1920's.
    Irlandese wrote: »
    So, instead of living in the bloody and increasingly irrelevant past, can you people focus on the today and the here and now, as it affects Palestinians and Israelis?

I didn't raise the subject, the post you thanked did. I tend to focus on the here and now of the settlements and the occupation.

I mean that the first calls for an independent Palestine date back to the 1920's.

I didn't raise the subject, the post you thanked did. I tend to focus on the here and now of the settlements and the occupation.
    Good,
    So can we now move on to the "how" of doing something useful and pro-active, in the here and now demonstrated by what people are saying and listening toi and reading in the real world, outside blog pages, rather than the same old slogan bashing that gets no-one anywhere, especially the people in the camps?
    So, what about all of us channelling our energies and angst positively, trying to support and be supportively critical of the various peace movements starting up or already active but fragmented in Israel and in Arab countries and in the West Bank and Gaza?
    This requires strategic thinking and wisdom and generosity of spirit and, above all, hope instead of hate.
    I am not a flag waver and I do not shove my experience in anyone's face, but, friends, I have, for good or ill, spent more than a few years in post-war re-construction and peace-keeping all over the shop and I have had my fill of teenagers getting killed and maimed, blindly fighting the sick battles of bitter old men.
    So, lets take the daily papers from the zone as a start point and see where, for instance, there are serious peace movements that have some chance of successfully harnessing cross-conflict support. Not all of them are serious, un-biased or even real peace movements. But some are and are more worthy of our time than old histories that have merit as such but not as guides for today's actions, in today's exact situations.

Oh, yes, I agree that I am heading off specific topic, but I am presuming that the intent of the topic was to work against apartheid and thus towards peace and justice for all in a two states solution. Am I right, or am I right?

What? this is the most stupid assersion I have ever seen in relation to the Isreali-Palestinian conflict. Please tell me you posted this as a jest.
    Hi Again, friend.
    I am particularly looking for help with all this from people like you with an independant-minded and searching approach to things. I would, for example, really appreciate it if you would keep an eye on the Jerusalem Post and nominate other papers from the ME, published in english, to try to start a concerted review from here of the seriousness and sustainability of whichever peace movements that could recruit from all sides of the conflict and practically move on useful initiatives. You will quickly see that the quality is variable.
    What do you say?

sorry I am posting and running as I am off line for a few hours, working out of office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

What? this is the most stupid assersion I have ever seen in relation to the Isreali-Palestinian conflict. Please tell me you posted this as a jest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16n2tJ3o1Q&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9CDzsxzTk&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWPL5V5G528

Take a look at these vids and think about it for a while.
    Then ask yourself, if there were no restraints on Hamas, would they beahve in the same way as their brothers in Iraq, the Shiite and Sunni muslims who between them have killd enormously more fellow muslims than israel ever has.
    Then you can come and say my comments are the most stupid assertion you have ever seen.

• Advertisement

You mean if the Palestinians didn't resist their colonisation, the Israelis would go easy on them?
    Well by that token if the Palestinians and 100 million arabs hadnt tried to eliminate israel on so many occasions, then this situation would never have arisen, would it. I mean we can go on trading comments like this all year !
    So whicxh is the greater evil ?
    P.S some of this 'stolen' land was actaully legimately purchased - is this relevant, do you think.

The settlements started in 1967, Hamas was founded in 1987. Israel is (mainly) colonising the West Bank and Arab East Jerusalem, Hamas is based in Gaza. This has come up time and time again in threads you have participated in.

I have to say that that post is so misinformed as to make me suspect that you are looking for reaction, rather than actual discussion.

Earlier you stated

I asked you to "provide examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas."
    Do you not regard the mass murder of innocent civilians and ethnic cleansing as far more disastrous aspects of an apartheid system than CONSTRUCTING BUILDINGS ?
    That would be a most peculiar value system !

I asked you to "provide examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas."

Example of two tier system imposed on pain of death with many, many actual executions of innocent people carried out by fellow countrymen and co - religionists : Palestine

[
    QUOTE=wes;65545782]I was using a general term, as I didn't want to go into great detail in that instance.

I am very well aware that you dont want to go into detail about these killings; you never do. Dismiss them as thiongs done by " Not nice people"
    If only you could take the same attitude to israel, then we coulstart making progress of ME matters.
    Its called being biased.

I have to protest this tit for tat .
    hamas have killed Fatah and vice versa.
    But does raking over the nuance of every death bring us a millimetre closer to finding a just solution to conflict, any conflict? No way, friend.
    Sure, it is much less sexy to start the complicated and tedious and above all, thankless work of reconciliation. It is always more comfortable and usually counter-productive, to ensconce oneself in the warm embrace of anger, revenge and pats on the back from fellow travellers.
    Will people stop this and start working towards solutions, FFS ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

[

I am very well aware that you dont want to go into detail about these killings; you never do. Dismiss them as thiongs done by " Not nice people"
    If only you could take the same attitude to israel, then we coulstart making progress of ME matters.
    Its called being biased.

No chance of that I'm afraid.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Well by that token if the Palestinians and 100 million arabs hadnt tried to eliminate israel on so many occasions, then this situation would never have arisen, would it. I mean we can go on trading comments like this all year !
    So whicxh is the greater evil ?.
    1948 - Arab states tried to destroy the newly established state of Israel
    1956 - Israel along with Britain and France invade Egypt
    1967 - Israel attacks Egypt kicking off the Six-Day War
    1973 - Egypt and Syria invade areas conquered by Israel in 1967 in order to take back these lands. Israel's border was not breached.
    P.S some of this 'stolen' land was actaully legimately purchased - is this relevant, do you think.
    Private land ownership doesn't mean state land.

Also, Jewish ownership of land in Mandate Palestine 1946:
    Map5_OwnerShip.gif

Take a look (.....)seen.

You stated
    I suspect that Israeli 'colonisation' is one factor in inhibiting Hamas from escalating its campaign of murder agaisnt it's Palestinian opponents or from setting up its 'Taliban Style' state.

Hamas is in power in Gaza, not in the West Bank. Israel is mainly colonising the West Bank and Arab East Jerusalem. The colonisation has been going on since 1967, Hamas was founded in 1987.
    Anymore wrote:
    Example of two tier system imposed on pain of death with many, many actual executions of innocent people carried out by fellow countrymen and co - religionists : Palestine

No, there is no two tier system in "Palestine" or, as they are referred to, the occupied territories, save that imposed by Israel. There is civil conflict, but no two tier system. Why don't you stop being faceitious and answer the question - Provide examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas.

The Saint wrote: »
    1948 - Arab states tried to destroy the newly established state of Israel
    1956 - Israel along with Britain and France invade Egypt
    1967 - Israel attacks Egypt kicking off the Six-Day War
    1973 - Egypt and Syria invade areas conquered by Israel in 1967 in order to take back these lands. Israel's border was not breached.

Private land ownership doesn't mean state land.

Also, Jewish ownership of land in Mandate Palestine 1946:
    Map5_OwnerShip.gif

A stranger might think that Israel just got it into its head to launch the six day war on a totally unsuspecting and passive Egypt; a tiny, tiny bit more complicated than that dont you think ?

P.S when you show a map of 'Mandate Palestine', doest that mean Palestine wasnt actually an independent State ?
    If that is so, when was Palestine an independent state, ?

You stated

Hamas is in power in Gaza, not in the West Bank. Israel is mainly colonising the West Bank and Arab East Jerusalem. The colonisation has been going on since 1967, Hamas was founded in 1987.

No, there is no two tier system in "Palestine" or, as they are referred to, the occupied territories, save that imposed by Israel. There is civil conflict, but no two tier system. Why don't you stop being faceitious and answer the question - Provide examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas.
    Palestine is the perfect example of an apartheid state ! It means death to transgress the artifically constructed borders - the videos of executions are freely available on the internet. Now in one sector, a further refinement is being implemented, as palestinian hairdressers have found out. The toxic element of fundamentalist religous tyranny is being added to the toxic mix.

Lets be real, the settlements can be emptied and destrpyed. Hamas's dead victims can never be brought back to life. Do you care ?

You stated

Palestine is the perfect example of an apartheid state ! It means death to transgress the artifically constructed borders - the videos of executions are freely available on the internet. Now in one sector, a further refinement is being implemented, as palestinian hairdressers have found out. The toxic element of fundamentalist religous tyranny is being added to the toxic mix.

Lets be real, the settlements can be emptied and destrpyed. Hamas's dead victims can never be brought back to life. Do you care ?

• Advertisement

A stranger(.....) independent state, ?

...when were America or Kenya independent states?
    Palestine is (.....)! ?

More evasion, and getting rather more indicative of your intention to disrupt as it goes on.

In reaction to your statement

This thread is about apartheid, so it is valid and important to look at the apartheid system in adjacent countries.

You were asked to provide "examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. "

We should compare like with like - What adjacent state has two legal systems (one with rights and privilges, one thats a version of martial law) for two populations living in the same area, outside its borders, that its colonising?

(By the way, when was this Palestinian state created? It's just I've been arguing for one for years and don't seem to have noticed it's announcement.)

More evasion, and getting rather more indicative of your intention to disrupt as it goes on.

You were asked to provide "examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. "

We should compare like with like - What adjacent state has two legal systems (one with rights and privilges, one thats a version of martial law) for two populations living in the same area, outside its borders, that its colonising?

(By the way, when was this Palestinian state created? It's just I've been arguing for one for years and don't seem to have noticed it's announcement.)

Do you mean to say there never has been an independent Palestinian State ? But I assumed that trying to get the State of Palestine back from Israel was what the fuss was all about ?
    Who owned ' Palestine' if there wasnt an independent state before Israel ' annexed' it ?

that's it people.
    You have "won".
    I deselect myself from this pointless argy-bargy and leave.
    You are too far from any ideas of seeking a sustainable and just solution for all,
    far too from the real issues for poor palestinians abused by IDF, PA, Hamas,
    USA and fiery ideologues on boards !
    Good bye all.

Its called being biased.

Hamas are not nice people, I fail to see how stating this fact is in any way dismissive. I see Israels occupation as the problem, and Hamas as a symptom of that problem, and as such Israel carries the lions share of the blame. If you don't like it then thats not my problem.

Also, I am biased, in that I see the occupied as being largely responsible for the mess, and at least i have the decency to admit as much.

A stranger might think that Israel just got it into its head to launch the six day war on a totally unsuspecting and passive Egypt; a tiny, tiny bit more complicated than that dont you think ?
    Of course it's more complicated than that. That still doesn't negate the fact that it was Israel who attacked Egypt thereby kicking off the Six-Day War.
    I was illustrating that your assertion that "if the Palestinians and 100 million arabs hadnt tried to eliminate israel on so many occasions, then this situation would never have arisen, would it" is demonstrably false.
    P.S when you show a map of 'Mandate Palestine', doest that mean Palestine wasnt actually an independent State ?
    If that is so, when was Palestine an independent state, ?
    I never said that Palestine was a state. I'm not sure what you're getting at here as it is irrelivant to the point I was making. I was again showing that your assertion that "some of this 'stolen' land was actaully legimately purchased - is this relevant, do you think" was minimal and that private ownership of land doesn't make it state land.

Are you serious? Can you not tell the difference between a civil conflict and apartheid? Is every civil conflict a form of apartheid? Was Ireland under a system of apartheid during it's civil war? Here, let me help clarify it for you:
    The crime of apartheid first became part of international law in 1973 when the International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid (ICSPCA) was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly. It defined it as "inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group ... over another racial group ... and systematically oppressing them."
    In 2002, a different definition of the crime of apartheid was provided by Article 7 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court. The crime of apartheid was listed as one of several crimes against humanity, and was defined as including inhumane acts such as torture, murder, forcible transfer, imprisonment, or persecution of an identifiable group on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious, or other grounds, "committed in the context of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over any racial group or groups and committed with the intention of maintaining that regime."
    So unless Hamas and Fatah are two different racial groups, you're talking out of your hat.

(......) mix.

Not an answer. There is no two tier system in place in areas governed by Fatah, or by Hamas, save that run by Israel.

Now again let's have "examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. "
    Do you (.....) annexed' it ?

It's irrelevant. Belgium was only created in 1839, Bangladesh in the 1970's...Israel was rarely independent as an ancient kingdom. There is a people there who identify themselves as Palestinian and who wish to determine their own future - thats good enough for me. Certainly the wish of Israelis to have their own state seems good enough for you.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

An act of Israeli apartheid, against Jews in Israel, Ethiopian black Jews.
    http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100106/FOREIGN/701059823/1002/NEWS

Who are subjected to a racially motivated birth control programme.

The Saint wrote: »
    Are you serious? Can you not tell the difference between a civil conflict and apartheid? Is every civil conflict a form of apartheid? Was Ireland under a system of apartheid during it's civil war? Here, let me help clarify it for you:

So unless Hamas and Fatah are two different racial groups, you're talking out of your hat.

I suggest you pause a while and check out what size hat you are wearing !
    As Brown Bomber's post below validates, Isrealis do not form a racial group, so the whole thread is invalid :
    As Nodin's post makes clear, there are now effectively two separate states in the state formerly known as Palestine, Thanks Nodin !

Not an answer. There is no two tier system in place in areas governed by Fatah, or by Hamas, save that run by Israel.

Now again let's have "examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. "

It's irrelevant. Belgium was only created in 1839, Bangladesh in the 1970's...Israel was rarely independent as an ancient kingdom. There is a people there who identify themselves as Palestinian and who wish to determine their own future - thats good enough for me. Certainly the wish of Israelis to have their own state seems good enough for you.

Israel is a legal State , Palestine has been been fractured into two separate areas " governed " to use your own words, by Hamas and Fatah, with of course Hamas being a client of Iran.
    P.S The Muslim Brotherhood, is there a connection or not ?
    PPs, I am surprised you validated Israels ancient claims , why ?

• Advertisement

As Brown Bomber's post below validates, Isrealis do not form a racial group, so the whole thread is invalid :

Well, as I pointed out earlier, in Israeli law, Jews constitute a race. Now seeing as we are calling Israel an Apartheid state, then the fact Israel considers Jews to be a race, kind of makes your statement null and void. The Israeli state considers Jews to be a race, and on that basis treats Palestinians accordingly.

Also, in Apartheid South Africa, they had a hierarchy of White racial "purity", and White people considered less White, were discriminated against, and as such the treatment of Ethiopian Jews is not out of the ordinary of in an Apartheid state.

Israel is a(.....)ancient claims , why ?

You were to give "examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. " ......?

Your question re Hamas was already raised and answered in another thread. The rest of your post seems designed to distract from your lack of an answer to the question I put to you.

Well, as I pointed out earlier, in Israeli law, Jews constitute a race. Now seeing as we are calling Israel an Apartheid state, then the fact Israel considers Jews to be a race, kind of makes your statement null and void. The Israeli state considers Jews to be a race, and on that basis treats Palestinians accordingly.

Also, in Apartheid South Africa, they had a hierarchy of White racial "purity", and White people considered less White, were discriminated against, and as such the treatment of Ethiopian Jews is not out of the ordinary of in an Apartheid state.

Fact Membership of a faith group is not a basis for membership of a racial group. If all jews were part of the same racial group, then the same should apply to say Muslims or Christians.
    Fact Israeli jews are of different racial groups. See Bombers post.

I would have thought it would have aided your general position re Israel to emphaises that there are so many of different races and origins.:confused::confused:
    Have you made a tactical mistake here ?

You were to give "examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. " ......?

Your question re Hamas was already raised and answered in another thread. The rest of your post seems designed to distract from your lack of an answer to the question I put to you.

Would that be saudi arabia and the other gulf states who bring in enormous numbers of migrant workers, house them separately and who grant them few if any legal rigts ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Would that be saudi arabia and the other gulf states who bring in enormous numbers of migrant workers, house them separately and who grant them few if any legal rigts ? :confused:

Saudi Arabia build on their own territory and what legal rights are denied to the workers there, some examples please and some reference

Fact Membership of a faith group is not a basis for membership of a racial group. If all jews were part of the same racial group, then the same should apply to say Muslims or Christians.
    Fact Israeli jews are of different racial groups. See Bombers post.

Fact Israel considers Jews to be a racial group, and as such can engage in Apartheid.
    I would have thought it would have aided your general position re Israel to emphaises that there are so many of different races and origins.:confused::confused:

Oh dear, once again Israel considers Jews to be a race. Also, the entire concept of race is basically made nonsense, there is no White race either btw, or a Black race.

Again, the state of Israel considers Jews a race, whether they are a race or not, has no bearing on them being an Apartheid state. The state of Israel runs its apartheid on the basis of Jews being a race.
    Have you made a tactical mistake here ?

No, just stating a simple fact on that Israel considers Jews to be a race, and run an Apartheid system on this basis. You are engaged in the exact same obfuscation, you engaged, when you employed the same arguement earlier in the thread. The arguement hasn't really improved since then either.

Would that be saudi arabia and the other gulf states who bring in enormous numbers of migrant workers, house them separately and who grant them few if any legal rigts ?

As pointed out already, Saudi aren't building outside their own borders. You'll also find that foriegners are brought before the same courts as Saudi citizens. There are not two seperate codes of law used.

Try again.

As pointed out already, Saudi aren't building outside their own borders. You'll also find that foriegners are brought before the same courts as Saudi citizens. There are not two seperate codes of law used.

Try again.

Hamas is bring Palestinians beofre its own ' courts' and executing them. It has no legal mandate to do this, but it is. It has estblised its own State separate to and in defiance of the PLA.

Fact Israel considers Jews to be a racial group, and as such can engage in Apartheid.

Oh dear, once again Israel considers Jews to be a race. Also, the entire concept of race is basically made nonsense, there is no White race either btw, or a Black race.

Again, the state of Israel considers Jews a race, whether they are a race or not, has no bearing on them being an Apartheid state. The state of Israel runs its apartheid on the basis of Jews being a race.

No, just stating a simple fact on that Israel considers Jews to be a race, and run an Apartheid system on this basis. You are engaged in the exact same obfuscation, you engaged, when you employed the same arguement earlier in the thread. The arguement hasn't really improved since then either.

Is Israel in the process of expelling all Non - Jewish people from Israel, or is it setting up Non Jewish Homelands within Israel ?
    Has it forbidden sex between Jewish people and Non - Jewish people ?
    Is sex between different races a criminal offence. Does Israel forbid male hairdressers to cut the hair of women ?
    P.s what is the Hamas attiude to marraige between jewish people and Muslims ?

• Advertisement

So, instead of addressing any points, I made you try and avoid having to address them by asking a series of question. I will answer them, but I expect you to answer my questions in return. Its only fair after all, if you refuse to answer my questions, then I won't bother with yours from here on out.
    Is Israel in the process of expelling all Non - Jewish people from Israel, or is it setting up Non Jewish Homelands within Israel ?

Israel is founded on Ethnic cleansing, and a Palestinian was recently expelled form the West Bank (Links earlier in the thread, as well as the new order that allows such expulsions). Israel is in the process of creating a Greater Israel, and is stealing land from Palestinians to achieve this.
    Has it forbidden sex between Jewish people and Non - Jewish people ?
    Is sex between different races a criminal offence.

'Racist' marriage law upheld by Israel

Israel's vile anti-miscegenation squads

The above 2 examples, show that Israel isn't like a modern democracy, when it comes to interracial relationaships.

At present, sex between different races is not illegal, but Israel does have miscegenation squads, and deplorable and racist marriage law.
    Does Israel forbid male hairdressers to cut the hair of women ?

One hell of a non-sequitor and no.
    P.s what is the Hamas attiude to marraige between jewish people and Muslims ?

It is allowed under various verisons of Islamic law.

So how about addressing the points, I made in my previous posts, as opposed to your typical attempt at avoiding them, and answering my questions posed in the other thread, seeing as I have answered your questions. If you refuse to answer my questions, then don't expect me to answer yours or address anything you post from here on out, as I will be blocking you.

Btw, Israel is most definetly an Aparthied state. Israel has Jewish only roads, which is something even Apartheid South Africa didn't even try. You have not bothered to address any points, and engage in the same whataboutery, obfuscation, and avoidance, that you employ constantly.

Hamas is bring Palestinians beofre its own ' courts' and executing them. It has no legal mandate to do this, but it is. It has estblised its own State separate to and in defiance of the PLA.

Examples of the adjacent countries building civillian settlements outside their own borders, and enforcing a two-tier system in those areas. " ......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

At present, sex between different races is not illegal, but Israel does have miscegenation squads, and deplorable and racist marriage law.

Thats just typical, the Grauniad sees a few isolated examples and suddenly its "ISRAEL HAS MISCEGENATION SQUADS", a few isolated religious nutters does not reflect the bulk of Israeli society which is broadly secular. Making a claim that this reflects a broad movement would be like me saying "All palestinians support terrorists" at which you would get in a huff about.

but the children would have to be brought up as muslims and as jewish descent goes through the mothers line this is an issue.
    Btw, Israel is most definetly an Aparthied state. Israel has Jewish only roads, which is something even Apartheid South Africa didn't even try.

As far as I recall it is the occupied territory which has jewish only roads not Israel itself. These are to protect travel between settlements (you know my view on settlements so don't start an argument about the validity or otherwise of the settlements. I just want to clarify that Israel itself does not have jewish only roads.

Thats just typical, the Grauniad sees a few isolated examples and suddenly its "ISRAEL HAS MISCEGENATION SQUADS", a few isolated religious nutters does not reflect the bulk of Israeli society which is broadly secular.

Alas, theres more to it than that, if you read the whole article....theres cops involved in an official capacity.
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/997629.html

Thats just typical, the Grauniad sees a few isolated examples and suddenly its "ISRAEL HAS MISCEGENATION SQUADS", a few isolated religious nutters does not reflect the bulk of Israeli society which is broadly secular. Making a claim that this reflects a broad movement would be like me saying "All palestinians support terrorists" at which you would get in a huff about.

The fact that Israel has miscegnation squads operating in a official capacity, should deeply disturb anyone, but it was just one example. The racist marriage law is the main one.

Then, there is the citizenship being done along racial lines, where Palestinian are not Israeli citizens, but rather Arabs. This is another example of Apartheid.
    but the children would have to be brought up as muslims and as jewish descent goes through the mothers line this is an issue.

Yes, but I have no idea how Hamas is implementing marriage in Gaza, or if they even have the capicity to do so.
    As far as I recall it is the occupied territory which has jewish only roads not Israel itself.

Yes, and this is Apartheid.
    These are to protect travel between settlements (you know my view on settlements so don't start an argument about the validity or otherwise of the settlements.

So, what? The seperation makes it Apartheid. Zionists can make whatever lame excuses they like, but as long as they exist, it is persuasive example of Apartheid. The settlements are also another example, where in the West Bank, one rule exists for colonists and another for Palestininians.
    I just want to clarify that Israel itself does not have jewish only roads.

Yes, and it doesn't change a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The fact that Israel has miscegnation squads operating in a official capacity, should deeply disturb anyone, but it was just one example. The racist marriage law is the main one.

It disturbs me (you should note I never said that it didn't) and the Israeli state/judicial system should crack down on it.
    Then, there is the citizenship being done along racial lines, where Palestinian are not Israeli citizens, but rather Arabs. This is another example of Apartheid.

Thats splitting hairs. Palestinians ARE Arabs.
    Yes, but I have no idea how Hamas is implementing marriage in Gaza, or if they even have the capicity to do so.

I'd assume that marraige goes on in Gaza and the West Bank just as it always has for decades. My point wasn't about that as most of the issue at hand seems to be in areas around Bedouin settlements in Israel proper. The issue of jews being assimilated into islam is something thats out there but i think it is overstated.

Yes, and this is Apartheid.

You think that it is Apartheid. I think that is just another loaded word used by the anti-Israeli movement that devalues what actual Apartheid was.

So, what? The seperation makes it Apartheid. Zionists can make whatever lame excuses they like, but as long as they exist, it is persuasive example of Apartheid. The settlements are also another example, where in the West Bank, one rule exists for colonists and another for Palestininians.

I corrected your assertion about the seperate roads. Then you deliberately misread (whether intentionally or unintentionally I don't know) so as to continue an argument. I condemn the settlements, I condemn the seperate roads, we agree on this hmm?

• Advertisement

It disturbs me (you should note I never said that it didn't) and the Israeli state/judicial system should crack down on it.

Fair enough, but to me, such a thing makes Israel no different than any other ME state.
    Thats splitting hairs. Palestinians ARE Arabs.

Well, they ought to be Israeli, and not classified under there race. There is oddly enough, no such thing as Israeli nationality, and this is what i was talking about. Israel recognizes, Jewish nationality and Arab nationality, and this help enforce apartheid, as it separates peoples along racial lines.
    I'd assume that marraige goes on in Gaza and the West Bank just as it always has for decades. My point wasn't about that as most of the issue at hand seems to be in areas around Bedouin settlements in Israel proper. The issue of jews being assimilated into islam is something thats out there but i think it is overstated.

I have no idea what your saying here exactly.
    You think that it is Apartheid. I think that is just another loaded word used by the anti-Israeli movement that devalues what actual Apartheid was.

Well, Bishop Desmond Tutu would disagree:
    Tutu condemns Israeli 'apartheid'

I think he knows apartheid far better than either of us.

I think calling Israel an apartheid state, is a simple statement of fact. Israel has gotten away with its crap for decades, and I see no reason why an accurate term like apartheid should not be used.
    I corrected your assertion about the seperate roads. Then you deliberately misread (whether intentionally or unintentionally I don't know) so as to continue an argument. I condemn the settlements, I condemn the seperate roads, we agree on this hmm?

Yes, we do, but I was just pointing out that they still constitute an example of Apartheid. As long as they exists, they are perfectly legitimate example.

So, instead of addressing any points, I made you try and avoid having to address them by asking a series of question. I will answer them, but I expect you to answer my questions in return. Its only fair after all, if you refuse to answer my questions, then I won't bother with yours from here on out.

Israel is founded on Ethnic cleansing, and a Palestinian was recently expelled form the West Bank (Links earlier in the thread, as well as the new order that allows such expulsions). Israel is in the process of creating a Greater Israel, and is stealing land from Palestinians to achieve this.

Just time for quick comment;
    are you referring to released prisoner who was returned to the area as indicated on his Palestinian ID ? If so I am not quite sure what the problem is with this ?

'Racist' marriage law upheld by Israel

The above 2 examples, show that Israel isn't like a modern democracy, when it comes to interracial relationaships.

One hell of a non-sequitor and no.

So how about addressing the points, I made in my previous posts, as opposed to your typical attempt at avoiding them, and answering my questions posed in the other thread, seeing as I have answered your questions. If you refuse to answer my questions, then don't expect me to answer yours or address anything you post from here on out, as I will be blocking you.

Btw, Israel is most definetly an Aparthied state. Israel has Jewish only roads, which is something even Apartheid South Africa didn't even try. You have not bothered to address any points, and engage in the same whataboutery, obfuscation, and avoidance, that you employ constantly.

Now as regards the racist marriage, there is a problem here to be sure, ( and we all acknowledge there are many issues that need to be addressed by Israel) but the question needs to be asked why it has arisen ? Apparently, from memory of reading it yesterday, 6,000 out of 22,000 .applicant cases have permitted to reside in Israel - so if this had been South Africa, none of these cases would have been approved which makes a complete nonsense of efforts to compare this with the Aparthied South Africa - thank you for providing this example.
    Now the article makes claear this law/regulation only just got the sanction of the court with even the Chief Justice objecting to it - this in itself is very reassuring, dont you think so ?
    P.S This report is from 2006, any update ?
    Of the Judges who support this kind of ruling, it appears that the security situation is the main reason they do so :
    The outgoing judge Michael Cheshin, who voted with the majority, said during a debate in February: "The Palestinian Authority is an enemy government, a government that wants to destroy the state and is not prepared to recognize Israel... Why should we take chances during wartime? Did England and America take chances with Germans seeking their destruction during the Second World War? No one is preventing them from building a family but they should live in Jenin instead of in [the Israeli Arab city of] Umm al-Fahm."
    * The Israeli army said it had killed at least seven Palestinian militants in the West Bank yesterday. One of the men killed was Elias Al Ashkar, blamed for suicide attacks including the one in Tel Aviv on 17 April which killed 11.

This tends to back up my previous assertions that it is the abnormal security situation that Israel has lived under for decades that plays a great part in generating this kind of draconian action.

Regarding Israel's miscegenation squads, please read the opening paragraph :Whilst the proliferation of ultra-orthodox "vigilante police" is a stain on Israeli society, their Taliban-esque actions can at least be contextualised as the inevitable consequence of religious fundamentalism gone wild. Such communities are dominated by leaders who refuse to accommodate any form of modernisation or freedom of thought into their archaic systems of governance, and the emergence of "modesty squads" is simply a manifestation of such primitive and patriarchal thinking

Note the ' Taliban-esque' expression. These comments reflect my own on the evils that can come from religious fundamentalism - I have expressed this at great lengths on the 'Ban the Burqa ' thread and also note that even in the UK and other European countries that fundamentalism has played a role in permitting the evils of forced marriage, honor murders and suicide bombers.
    Do yiu agree that religious fundamentalism has or can have many negative side effects ?

As for Bishop Tut's comments on Israel, it is not very difficult to get a comment from this cleric who seems to love the media limelight and always has.
    How much better for humanity if he spent some time looking at the number of members of the ANC who have become very, very rich in a society which has so much chronic poverty - perhaps he might spend some time looking at how poor migrants from Zimbabwe are being forcibly evicted from mini shanty towns in advance of the World Cup - dont want the tourists to see the poor ?
    I can well see how this cleric would prefer to look away to distant countries and criticse them :(

Now as (....) draconian action.

'Racism is ok for the common good'
    Note the (......) effects ?

'sectarianism is ok for the greater good'
    As for Bishop (....)them :(

You know, you could have at least googled Tutu to make sure he hadn't condemned those things before making such a stupid, stupid statement......

Now as regards the racist marriage, there is a problem here to be sure, ( and we all acknowledge there are many issues that need to be addressed by Israel) but the question needs to be asked why it has arisen ?

It has arisen due to the racist nature of the Israel ideology, that being Zionism.
    Apparently, from memory of reading it yesterday, 6,000 out of 22,000 .applicant cases have permitted to reside in Israel - so if this had been South Africa, none of these cases would have been approved which makes a complete nonsense of efforts to compare this with the Aparthied South Africa - thank you for providing this example.

Well, no actually it doesn't. I never said it was exactly the same as Apartheid South Africa, I said Israel is an apartheid state, and I gave multiple example of this. Nothing has been rubbished, the racist marriage law exists, and is an example of this Apartheid. It can't just be dismissed with a silly little straw man.
    Now the article makes claear this law/regulation only just got the sanction of the court with even the Chief Justice objecting to it - this in itself is very reassuring, dont you think so ?

No, not really. The law exists, and I won't be reassured until it is removed.
    P.S This report is from 2006, any update ?

The law has not been repealed in the mean time sadly.
    Of the Judges who support this kind of ruling, it appears that the security situation is the main reason they do so :

Absurd and racist nonsense would be more accurate. Racism is what drives this stupid and vile law. Security is just an excuse, that Israel trots out, and it seem some people think it make everything ok then.
    The outgoing judge Michael Cheshin, who voted with the majority, said during a debate in February: "The Palestinian Authority is an enemy government, a government that wants to destroy the state and is not prepared to recognize Israel... Why should we take chances during wartime? Did England and America take chances with Germans seeking their destruction during the Second World War? No one is preventing them from building a family but they should live in Jenin instead of in [the Israeli Arab city of] Umm al-Fahm."
    * The Israeli army said it had killed at least seven Palestinian militants in the West Bank yesterday. One of the men killed was Elias Al Ashkar, blamed for suicide attacks including the one in Tel Aviv on 17 April which killed 11.

Nonsense, Fatah recognised Israel back in the 80's. So the judge is living in a racist fairy tale land, where he denies reality and creates a false narrative, to justify his racism.
    This tends to back up my previous assertions that it is the abnormal security situation that Israel has lived under for decades that plays a great part in generating this kind of draconian action.

No, its racism actually. Security is an excuse.
    Regarding Israel's miscegenation squads, please read the opening paragraph

Note the ' Taliban-esque' expression. These comments reflect my own on the evils that can come from religious fundamentalism - I have expressed this at great lengths on the 'Ban the Burqa ' thread and also note that even in the UK and other European countries that fundamentalism has played a role in permitting the evils of forced marriage, honor murders and suicide bombers.

Note, the fact that this is occuring in Israel, and is happening in a official capacity, and that it is another example of Apartheid which you deny for whatever bizare reason.

Also, telling Women what to wear from a secular pov is no different than religous nutters doing so from a Religous one, and again fundamentalism isn't the topic, and again you are trying to derail the discussion.
    Do yiu agree that religious fundamentalism has or can have many negative side effects ?

Any kind of fundamentalism is bad, but that isn't the topic under discussion.
    As for Bishop Tut's comments on Israel, it is not very difficult to get a comment from this cleric who seems to love the media limelight and always has.

How much better for humanity if he spent some time looking at the number of members of the ANC who have become very, very rich in a society which has so much chronic poverty - perhaps he might spend some time looking at how poor migrants from Zimbabwe are being forcibly evicted from mini shanty towns in advance of the World Cup - dont want the tourists to see the poor ?
    I can well see how this cleric would prefer to look away to distant countries and criticse them :(

It isn't just Bishop Tutu, plenty of other members of the ANC have called Israel an apartheid state, and the best you can come up with, is accuse the man of self promotion. Bishop Tutu fought Apartheid, and is a far better man than most, and for someone to attack this man is nothing short of repugnant, and make such blatantly false accusations is horrible.

Your typical whataboutery as well is also laughable, instead of addressing a single point, you instead attack a great man, who fought against a vile bunch of racist to ensure equality for his people. You do realise, the Bishop comments on a great many things the world over, and that Israel is not special in this regard. Of course, any comment on Israel is meant with the same old cry of "what about?".

Btw, you didn't answer my question in the other thread, after I answered your multiple question in this one, so I am done. Don't bother replying to me or anything, you will blocked, seeing as you expect others to answer your question, but don't give that same courtesy to others.

It has arisen due to the racist nature of the Israel ideology, that being Zionism.

Well, no actually it doesn't. I never said it was exactly the same as Apartheid South Africa, I said Israel is an apartheid state, and I gave multiple example of this. Nothing has been rubbished, the racist marriage law exists, and is an example of this Apartheid. It can't just be dismissed with a silly little straw man.

No, not really. The law exists, and I won't be reassured until it is removed.

The law has not been repealed in the mean time sadly.

Absurd and racist nonsense would be more accurate. Racism is what drives this stupid and vile law. Security is just an excuse, that Israel trots out, and it seem some people think it make everything ok then.

Nonsense, Fatah recognised Israel back in the 80's. So the judge is living in a racist fairy tale land, where he denies reality and creates a false narrative, to justify his racism.

No, its racism actually. Security is an excuse.

Note, the fact that this is occuring in Israel, and is happening in a official capacity, and that it is another example of Apartheid which you deny for whatever bizare reason.

Also, telling Women what to wear from a secular pov is no different than religous nutters doing so from a Religous one, and again fundamentalism isn't the topic, and again you are trying to derail the discussion.

Any kind of fundamentalism is bad, but that isn't the topic under discussion.

It isn't just Bishop Tutu, plenty of other members of the ANC have called Israel an apartheid state, and the best you can come up with, is accuse the man of self promotion. Bishop Tutu fought Apartheid, and is a far better man than most, and for someone to attack this man is nothing short of repugnant, and make such blatantly false accusations is horrible.

Your typical whataboutery as well is also laughable, instead of addressing a single point, you instead attack a great man, who fought against a vile bunch of racist to ensure equality for his people. You do realise, the Bishop comments on a great many things the world over, and that Israel is not special in this regard. Of course, any comment on Israel is meant with the same old cry of "what about?".

Btw, you didn't answer my question in the other thread, after I answered your multiple question in this one, so I am done. Don't bother replying to me or anything, you will blocked, seeing as you expect others to answer your question, but don't give that same courtesy to others.

South Africa is not an equal society ! The rich are still getting richer and the former comrades, some of them, have joined the ranks of the wealthy.

According to Forbes magazine, South Africa has the most billionaires in sub-Saharan Africa. While the above mentioned Patrice Motsepe has
    become South Africa's first Black billionaires.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201004271163.html
    Destitute Zimbabweans living in shacks in urban areas in South Africa are becoming victims of a 'clean up' exercise, as the government prepares for the World Cup which starts in June.
    The South African government is using what are effectively militia groups, called the Red Ants, to evict immigrants. They wear red overalls, paid for by the various municipalities, arrive without warning and force the slum dwellers out, often using brutal force and giving them no time to pack their belongings. They are often drawn from vigilante groups and refer to immigrants as 'parasites or cockroaches' and have become a growing force as the government begins a campaign of "beautification", to move the desperate refugees out, before the World Cup tourists arrive.

From The Sunday Times (UK)
    April 25, 2010

http://www.abahlali.org/node/6639

Slum clearance, South Africa-style
    WAVING iron bars and pickaxes, the Red Ants, a rented mob of thugs in bright red overalls and crimson helmets, used the half-light of dawn for cover as they marched into the slum. Stamping out the first cooking fires of the day with heavy boots, they spread out in a long line. Then they attacked.
    Bleary immigrant women dropped plastic water containers and ran in panic towards their corrugated iron homes. “Grab the children,” they screamed.
    By sunrise their shacks on the outskirts of Johannesburg had been razed. They were forced to watch as their few possessions were burnt.

Perhaps the reverend gentleman might look a little more closely in his own backyard ?
    He was the subject of a UK TV programme during the week; he was hosting a discussion with a number of prominent SA personalities in a very nice restaurant. The topic was Chinese investment in SA. It was a pleasant discussion in which there was no mention of SA'a chronic poverty or any of the pressing concerns such as the treatment of Zimbabwee's refugees in SA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement