Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political Correctness - Preventing Prejudice or Stifling Free Speech?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Wasn`t it the original intention of Political Correctness to eradicate racist, sexist and homophobic language?
    Whatever it was, the whole thing started out with the best of intentions, but now it seems to have spiralled out of control and a lot of it is pure ridiculous. For example, Hes` not dead, hes` `mortally challenged`. Some of it is frankly absurd, but to say it`s stifling free speech, is going a bit far.
    The whole PC thing has just become a bit of a joke. If people took it seriously, then we`d be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

brummytom wrote: »

My brother was telling me today, with a horrified voice, that his Art teacher called a lad in the class a "retard".

Reminds me of primary school in the early 1980s. We called each other "spastics" if someone did / or said something stupid.

No one cared.

Yet if I went up to a person suffering from cerebral palsy and called him a "f*cking spastic", people would have objected.

Funny old world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Reminds me of primary school in the early 1980s. We called each other "spastics" if someone did / or said something stupid.

In fainess, it's a completely different situation when it's a teacher saying it to a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Political correctness in general is fine, but there are times when it's taken too far.

I know a guy who got in trouble in work because when a colleague asked him if he was going out for lunch, he replied saying "No, I brought a few sambos in to eat."

That was stifling of free speech or "political correctness gone mad" if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

because when a colleague asked him if he was going out for lunch, he replied saying "No, I brought a few sambos in to eat."

Whats often missed about Pee Cee is that it is a form of cultural imperialism. If this guy meant a sandwich thats what he meant. Thats what most Irish people would think. The other meaning if from British imperialist history so why should we give a sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

asdasd wrote: »
    Whats often missed about Pee Cee is that it is a form of cultural imperialism. If this guy meant a sandwich thats what he meant. Thats what most Irish people would think. The other meaning if from British imperialist history so why should we give a sh*te.

I think that the word originated in the US and then spread around the globe. An American brother-in-law of mine was open-mouthed, and couldn't believe it when he spotted a sandwich delivery van in Tralee a few years ago, with "Sambos" painted on it.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know a guy who got in trouble in work because when a colleague asked him if he was going out for lunch, he replied saying "No, I brought a few sambos in to eat."

I had to google that - I call them sambos all the time. Sandwiches, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Cianos wrote: »
    Derogatory terms and offensive reference are known as such because that is their origin. And because they were (originally) derogatory and offensive, they can be used in a humorous way. ie, if 'n**ger' wasn't derogatory, it'd have no impact by being used in a humorous way. Thus the basis of PC aversion is the fact that the content of offensiveness is usually originated from terminology that is, independent of context, definitely derogatory. So it becomes an issue of interpretation. If I use the word 'n**ger' and honestly mean no harm or aggression with it, there will be listeners who take offense because they don't understand the context within which it's being used. (ie bystanders or people who simply don't catch the references or just don't get the joke)

ie, you take an offensive word, such as n**ger. You intend to use it in a humorous way. People who 'get' the joke will find it funny and will understand that there's no racial prejudice intended. But those that don't find the joke funny, because they don't 'get' it, will be offended simply because of the use of the word n**ger in a context which they haven't had the privilege of appreciating.

The song 'Gold Digger' written & sung by Kanye West (a black man) has the word N**ger throughout the song YET Irish radio stations feel they have to edit the song to protect their listeners ears. THAT is political correctness gone mad. If Kanye west had a problem with the word N**ger, I dount he would have used it in his song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The song 'Gold Digger' written & sung by Kanye West (a black man) has the word N**ger throughout the song YET Irish radio stations feel they have to edit the song to protect their listeners ears. THAT is political correctness gone mad. If Kanye west had a problem with the word N**ger, I dount he would have used it in his song.
    Mind you, anything that discourages Irish radio from giving Kanye West airtime has to be good! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dudess wrote: »

And I find those who are fond of the phrase "political correctness GONE MAD!!" usually tend to be to the right of Genghis Khan.

Actually Genghis was fairly tolerant of other cultures and religions.

Advertisement