Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday 14th at 8pm, Public Talk: Maths + The Media: An Equation For Confusion

Options
  • 08-10-2009 10:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, it's unrelated to A+A, but I think most posters here would find this interesting:

Maths And The Media: An Equation For Confusion

will be hosted by the Irish Skeptics Society in conjunction with Maths Week Ireland. The talk will take place in the Aston Suite, Alexander Hotel, Merrion Square, Dublin 2. (Around the corner from our usual venue, the Davenport) at

8.00pm on Wednesday October 14th next.

Admission for all will be at the special rate of €3.

The speaker is Matt Parker who is best described as a stand up mathematician who does everything in his power to make more people excited about mathematics. He is a regular compere for the London Skeptics in the Pub meetings and is also involved with the charity “Sense About Science” and Simon Singh’s campaign against stupid equations.

The November talk will be given by the David McWilliams who will cast a skeptical eye over current economic issues.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wouldn't it be better suited to the Maths forum?* :confused:

* I'm almost certain there is a maths forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

robindch wrote: »
    The November talk will be given by the David McWilliams who will cast a skeptical eye over current economic issues.
    David McWilliams - is that meant to be ironic :-)

That guy is probably worse than PDN for coming out with analogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

* I'm almost certain there is a maths forum.

They make the laws, they print the money, and they breed the super soldiers!

The alternative quote was going to be one about pure power from 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Thanks for posting here. I wouldn't have heard otherwise and this is definitely something I'm interested in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those mathletes wouldn't have time for this malarky.

Besides, we get a few dogmathematicians around these parts. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

We have a maths forum? Is it smelly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bump. Eight this evening, downstairs in the Alexander Hotel.

robindch wrote: »
    Bump. Eight this evening, downstairs in the Alexander Hotel.

I will be there, looking forward to it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Enjoy, lads. :)

The odds of you winning the Irish lottery are about the same odds as you dying in the next 2 and a half hours

Nice perspective :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    The odds of you winning the Irish lottery are about the same odds as you dying in the next 2 and a half hours
    I liked his twist on that -- if you're going to buy a lottery ticket, then best to buy less than two and a half hours before the draw. If you don't, you're more likely to die than to win :)

Didn't realize that so many of the Simpson writers were PhD-level maths geeks either.

Advertisement