Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Plastic Paddy"?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

I was just having a discussion with someone about the term 'plastic paddy' being used to describe someone who professes their Irish heritage (be it strong or very weak).

Boards being an Irish-based site with most users 'Irish' born and bred.. what do you think of the term? D'you think it's fair enough or insulting someone just for being proud of where they come from.

Personally, I've been asked if I'm Irish a good number of times (be it because I've been at an Irish event/venue, talking about Irish music or, weirdly, my pronounciation of certain words :confused:) I always say "No, just from an Irish family" so as not to sound like one of these. Should I be afraid to say yes (like that old quote, 'Just because a cow's born in a stable doesn't make it a horse')

Anyway, discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Brummytom, who feckin' cares, get on with your neighbours, wear a clean shirt, be polite to strangers and stop worrying the bone over what particular piece of rock you originated from on planet Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Brummytom, who feckin' cares, get on with your neighbours, wear a clean shirt, be polite to strangers and stop worrying the bone over what particular piece of rock you originated from on planet Earth.

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Its mainly Americans that do this I think........"my great great great grandfather was quarter Irish so I'm also Irish":rolleyes:......pisses me right off.

You wouldn't hear them bragging......"Yeah I'm quarter Afghanistani and damn proud WOOOO SPRING BREAK!!".....................................you tit! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Think it's more aimed at Americans, who's great great great uncle knew a dog, who's father was from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I have no problem with anyone having even a misplaced pride in Ireland, it's better than hating us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Usually think of the inflatable hammer types you see at Ireland games, or (as already said) certain Americans, myself.

I have no problem with anyone having even a misplaced pride in Ireland, it's better than hating us.

True enough. We could be smelly famine-ship bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Irish people don't seem to mind if the "Plastic Paddies" in question are any good at soccer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If you have Irish blood in your family tree and one or both of your parents /grandparents are Irish then you have every right to describe yourself as Irish ,as much or as little as you wish .The term Plastic paddy is sometimes used to describe some people with little or no irish blood in them as ' not really one of us ', which is ironic considering that miillions of people around the world are of 2nd 3rd etc generation Irish and would consider themself 'Irish ' of Irish stock . I dont like the term myself which is more fitting of somebody wearing a guinness hat or dressed up in Leprecaun outfit over to Dublin for a weekend and most of them would know the difference anyway .

boogle wrote: »
    Irish people don't seem to mind if the "Plastic Paddies" in question are any good at soccer...

Tony Cascarino?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

boogle wrote: »

How dare that sassenach Kitson turn us down.

He likes drink-driving and he's a ginge. How much more a fit could the man have been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

<Insert airport scene from Mike Basset England manager here>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

stovelid wrote: »

And Stephen Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

stovelid wrote: »

He likes drink-driving and he's a ginge. How much more a fit could the man have been?

AND I think his girlfriend is called Jacinteh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

I have a friend who's dad is irish. He's living in ireland now and he thinks flogging molly are cool. Like a true irishman i cringe whenever i hear them.

His ringtone is a gay-sounding punk version of a jig i remember having to play at mass in primary school when the girls were dancing up the aisle during their communion.

When he's drunk and his phone goes off he sometimes moshes to it for a second. Each time he does so I die a little inside.

Mr.Obvious wrote: »
    I have a friend who's dad is irish. He's living in ireland now and he thinks flogging molly are cool. Like a true irishman i cringe whenever i hear them.

His ringtone is a gay-sounding punk version of a jig i remember having to play at mass in primary school when the girls were dancing up the aisle during their communion.

When he's drunk and his phone goes off he sometimes moshes to it for a second. Each time he does so I die a little inside.

Oh God, Flogging Molly/Dropkick Murphys/Other **** American wannabe-Pogues should be ****ing killed.

To me Irish music=Dubliners; Can't stand these punk types (except for The Pogues, Rainy Night In Soho is an amazing song)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

If you look into what country Americans claim to have heritage from Ireland is on the top of the majority of everyone's list. I never hear other countries mentioned as much which begs the question why?

We seem to have a place in American heritage that I for one am delighted that we do, as it makes it far easier for a true Irish to get ahead of other immigrants. Call them plastic paddy if you like but I exploit that fact whenever I get the chance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

brummytom wrote: »
    To me Irish music=Dubliners

There's more to trad than the Dubliners, boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I got called this once. Despite having never in my life pronounced a lonely tear of irish blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Hell yeah, and the Dubliners wouldn't be very high on my list to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    What about the Plastic Mancs, scousers etc. in Oireland?

Here comes the LoI supporter........

Yep, they're just my one massive obsession :P

Earlier groups like The Clancys, Cheiftains, Planxty, and later (manufactered) ones like The High Kings, The Kilkennys etc and individuals like Sharon Shannon, Gerry O'Connor, Kieran Hanrahan, Sean McGuire all have their part to play; but The Dubliners to me just sum up Irish music.

I'm not a complete trad. phillistine, just have my own personal tastes :P

''League of Ireland supporter''? Eh no. Bohemian FC supporter.

No but judging by your post you're just dying to tell everyone how much better of a fan you are than everyone else just because you go to Dalymount every second week

No I just said on a thread about ''Plastic Paddys'' we have have our own oirish Plastic Brits.

Yes, that's all you were saying

Advertisement