Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

• 07-05-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭

Who do you guys think will be competing for the right to get knocked out on penalties in the quarter final?

For me it is:

GK: J Hart, S Carson, D Stockdale

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, P Jones

Mid: T Walcott, A Young, S Downing, J Milner, G Barry, F Lampard, S Parker, S Gerrard

Fwd: W Rooney, D Welbeck, A Carroll, J Defoe

Others close to the squad are surely C Smalling, J Lescott, K Walker, the Oxe, A Johnson, D Bent (if not injured?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Crouch should feel aggrieved if Andy Carroll gets the nod ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Downing? :eek: :p

Kyle Walker surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Who do you guys think will be competing for the right to get knocked out on penalties in the quarter final?

For me it is:

GK: J Hart, S Carson, D Stockdale

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, P Jones

Mid: T Walcott, A Young, S Downing, J Milner, G Barry, F Lampard, S Parker, S Gerrard

Fwd: W Rooney, D Welbeck, A Carroll, J Defoe

Others close to the squad are surely C Smalling, J Lescott, K Walker, the Oxe, A Johnson, D Bent (if not injured?)

Rob Green for Stockdale. I'd be surprised if Lescott didn't make it tbh. Is Bent available? If so he's a better option than Defoe. Would have Adam Johnson ahead of Downing and Smalling ahead of Jones too. That plus yours would be my pick ;)

Lescott for Johnson that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

defoe & downing wont get in the squad, lescott should be ahead of phil jones, and with the fulham connection i wouldnt be suprised if zamora got in, roy loves his target men so crouch is in the mix as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Possibly 4 Liverpool players could be chosen.

Says it all about Englands chances really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Grant Holt in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Liverpool fans probably want to include next Messi Raheem Sterling

Gerrard may well be the only one. Carroll has an outside chance. Can't see anyone else near it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Looking at that midfield and also the attack (bearing in mind Rooney will miss a couple of games) and you have to say that that England team haven't got much of a chance and may even go out in the group stages.

The only thing maybe going for them is that the pressure might be less than the last few years when the 'Golden Generation' were expected to bring home the trophy.

Still, they will be expected to get out of their group at the very least and I'm not at all sure they will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Gerrard may well be the only one. Carroll has an outside chance. Can't see anyone else near it tbh
    Johnson will surely go

• Advertisement

Johnson is pretty much nailed on. Downing has a decent chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Holt should be in instead of Carroll if you want a big man IMO.

Team will follow the usual **** team selections by Capello with those deserving of spots that play for unfashionable teams overlooked once again.

Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whatever happened with paul robinson between the sticks? Form just dropped or something? God be wih the days of david james:cool:

Ah yes liverpool bashing already, good stuff! what thread is complete without it these days:rolleyes:

Johnson will surely go
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Johnson is pretty much nailed on. Downing has a decent chance

Walker and Richards will both go no doubt in my mind. Don't agree with the former but they will. Smalling will provide cover then if needs be. Put it this way I'd be very shocked if Johnson made it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think Ben Foster might make himself available, what with Woy being his club manager and all. Based on that I think it should be:

Joe Hart
    Ben Foster
    David Stockdale

Ashley Cole
    Leighton Baines
    Micah Richards
    Chris Smalling (cover RB and CB)
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Gary Cahill
    Kyle Walker

Steven Gerrard
    Frank Lampard
    James Milner
    Theo Walcott
    Scott Parker
    Gareth Barry
    Ashley Young
    Aaron Lennon

Wayne Rooney
    Danny Welbeck
    Andy Carroll (Mr.Plan B)
    Jermaine Defoe

I would be going for something like this:

Hart
    Richards-Terry-Rio-Cole
    Parker
    Gerrard-Lampard
    Walcott
    Young
    Welbeck (Rooney when available)

Knowing England at major competitions however it will probably be 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard behind Welbeck or Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Liverpool fans probably want to include next Messi Raheem Sterling

No, I'd rather there were no Liverpool players going at all tbh.

Whatever happened with paul robinson between the sticks? Form just dropped or something? God be wih the days of david james:cool:

Ah yes liverpool bashing already, good stuff! what thread is complete without it these days:rolleyes:

Paul Robinson is an awful keeper imo.

Saying that the 2nd and 3rd choice are not much to shout about (don't know much about Stockdale, but he's out on loan in the Championship so wouldn't hold high hopes), same goes for Foster of he goes.

If Hart gets injured it'd be a massive blow for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Opens thread. Sees another Liverpool debate form. Swiftly leaves!!!

Paul Robinson is an awful keeper imo.

Saying that the 2nd and 3rd choice are not much to shout about (don't know much about Stockdale, but he's out on loan in the Championship so wouldn't hold high hopes), same goes for Foster of he goes.

If Hart gets injured it'd be a massive blow for them

Rob Green will probably be second choice

Walker and Richards will both go no doubt in my mind. Don't agree with the former but they will. Smalling will provide cover then if needs be. Put it this way I'd be very shocked if Johnson made it

Is that because of Johnson's poor form under Hodgson?

Johnson is the most experienced of the 3, I'd imagine he would go ahead of Walker. It's true though that Johnson played poorly under Hodgson, largely (imo) because he is not at all suited to his system so that could be in Hodgson's thinking I suppose.

Perhaps Richards is the best to start though playing in a Hodgson team as he is the best defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Danny Sturridge should be in with a shout, but the last while has probably ****ed that up on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Paul Konchesky surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Crouch should feel aggrieved if Andy Carroll gets the nod ahead of him.

How do I dislike a post?

Paul Konchesky surely?

He's assistant manager afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As an Englishman (Partly anyway), this is the squad I want to see:

GK: Hart, Stockdale, Ruddy
    DEF: Richards, Walker, Terry, Cahill, Cole Baines, Smalling
    MID: Parker, Jones, Britton, Howson, Gerrard, Chamberlain, Young, Johnson, Milner
    FOR: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Holt

G.K. wrote: »
    As an Englishman (Partly anyway), this is the squad I want to see:

GK: Hart, Stockdale, Ruddy
    DEF: Richards, Walker, Terry, Cahill, Cole Baines, Smalling
    MID: Parker, Jones, Britton, Howson, Gerrard, Chamberlain, Young, Johnson, Milner
    FOR: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Holt

That'll do nicely

Is that because of Johnson's poor form under Hodgson?

Johnson is the most experienced of the 3, I'd imagine he would go ahead of Walker. It's true though that Johnson played poorly under Hodgson, largely (imo) because he is not at all suited to his system so that could be in Hodgson's thinking I suppose.

Perhaps Richards is the best to start though playing in a Hodgson team as he is the best defensively.

It's because Walker seems to be hyped up as the next big thing in the English media. don't rate him at all but he'll make it. Johnson would be a better RM imo, can't defend for love nor money but great going forward and crossing.

If I was in charge I'd go with:
    Hart; Richards, JT, Lescott, A.Cole; Parker, Barry; Walcott, Gerrard, A. Johnson/Young; Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Hodgson bring Zamora in as his no.9, who played very well for him in his time at Fulham. Reckon he'd pair him with one of Defoe or Wellbeck in a front 2.

It's because Walker seems to be hyped up as the next big thing in the English media. don't rate him at all but he'll make it. Johnson would be a better RM imo, can't defend for love nor money but great going forward and crossing.

If I was in charge I'd go with:
    Hart; Richards, JT, Lescott, A.Cole; Parker, Barry; Walcott, Gerrard, A. Johnson/Young; Welbeck

Johnson isn't as bad at defending as many would like to believe.

Also Johnson is not a right-mid, and you can't just teach a right-back to play right-mid, it's a whole different ball game imo. Usually when the ball arrives to you at right-mid you have less space and time, and are unable to carry the ball forward the same way. They are 2 very different positions and it would take a while playing there before you could just throw him into that position.

Johnson is a wing-back, or if you want to put it differently, a modern fullback. He plays his best football in a 4-2-3-1 where he has a competent DM to cover him and has licence to go forward.

Johnson had a terrible few months under Hodgson where he was played as an old school, deep-lying fullback, where values such as strength, positioning and aerial ability are more important than pace, passing, crossing dribbling etc... Danny Alves would have looked muck in that Hodgson team playing at right-full.

He's actually had a very good and consistent season, and has been one of the few positives this year for Liverpool.

However, if Hodgson is going to go 4-4-2, and long ball, Johnson may not be the best choice, I agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Vokes wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too surprised to see Hodgson bring Zamora in as his no.9, who played very well for him in his time at Fulham. Reckon he'd pair him with one of Defoe or Wellbeck in a front 2.

Hodgson could quickly be the next Graham Taylor if he starts picking players based on the fact that he worked with them rather than because they are any good.

Advertisement