Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moves to limit Palestinian Parliamentary representation, revoke 1.6m of citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If its true, then it is certainly an appalling thing to do. Palestinians have been treated badly by pretty much everyone, and this kind of thing shows why there is a clear need for a Palestinian state. They don't seem to be welcome anywhere else, so they need some where to go.

Having said that, I have seen no mention of this anywhere else.

Also, I really can't take the Jerusalem Post seriously as a news sources, when the page is plastered with an ad for the Jerusalem Post annual conference, with the header of "Fighting for the Zionist Dream". The whole thing is a bit on the nose imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...bit odd its not on Haaretz, the Beeb.....particularily given that its 4 days old...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭The Israeli

Haaretz usually publishes the lefties opinions. It's a known thing. They don't hide it.
    Why would they publish anything that hurts their agenda.. Though, from time to time they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Haaretz usually publishes the lefties opinions. It's a known thing. They don't hide it.
    Why would they publish anything that hurts their agenda.. Though, from time to time they have to.

I am very skeptical about its contents of this story.

If this were true then everyone would be reporting, on it as it would be a massive development, particularly within the Palestinian media in which it has recieved no mention.

The report cites unnamed officials saying that the Jordanian interior minister was going to visit Ramallah to pass the news to the PA. However, later in the article, the spokesman for the interior ministry, a named source rather than the aforementioned unnamed sources, stated that his Palestinian counterpart invited the minister to Ramallah to discuss bilateral cooperation and denied that the visit had anything to do with revoking the citizenship of Palestinians.

So Saturday has come and gone and there has been no mention of it in the media, Palestinian, Israeli or international.

Even the numbers cited in the article seem off. It starts off saying that PA and PLO officials were to be stripped of their citizenship. However, the article later stated that the decision would affect 1.6 million Palestinians in Jordan (UNRWA states that there are 1,951,603 Palestinian refugees in Jordan, 31% of the total population of Jordan, not exactly nearly half).

So if the article and the figures within it are correct and nearly half the 6 million (3 million) population of Jordan are of Palestinian origin then that would mean that over 50% of Palestinians in Jordan are PA and PLO officials.

Now if you assume that the the age demographics in the country are similar for all ethnic groups with over 32% of the population being aged between 0-14 years it all starts to look very very dubious. So 50% of Palestinians in Jordan are PA or PLO officials while 32% are aged between 0-14 years. That is one hell of a representation that the PA and PLO have in Jordan. :confused:

The story looks like a hatchet job that is not worthy consideration until it is corroborated, which I doubt it will be. It is just too outlandish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

If this was true it would be plastered all over the western news media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭The Israeli

Saint, I agree that the quiet reaction to this is strange, and maybe some facts in it don't suit well.
    Maybe partly because that there is nothing new to it, or because it's not pragmatic. idk.
    I wouldn't say it's completely fabricated.
    If there is no further reaction to it, it can be put aside till there are further news or forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Here's an older article from the nytimes about them withdrawing citizenship from 2010.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/world/middleeast/14jordan.html?pagewanted=all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Here's an older article from the nytimes about them withdrawing citizenship from 2010.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/world/middleeast/14jordan.html?pagewanted=all

Most reprehensible.

And a far more comprehensible and believable article than that mooted by the JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wonder if this video:

fully explains the refugee problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

SeanW wrote: »
    I wonder if this video:

fully explains the refugee problem?

Israel's Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Danny Ayalon explains.....

no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement