Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it posible to change your mind on settiling out of court

Options
  • 10-03-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

As the title say's can you bring something back to court after settiling out of court

The reason i fell i want to is i had to pay out alot of money and i was told i would get it back when my side gave the other side the bill of cost's 8 months later still no sign of the money back.

Last i heard last month it was due for bill of cost's what does this mean the other side is not payng up the solicoter's fee's or something else ?

I cant even get in touch with my solictor as he is sick for the last few month's and his firm has closed down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 a lawyer

the case is settled by the sounds of it (i.e. an actual court case was compromised, money was paid over etc)

sorting out costs can take this long - not in anyone's interests (least of all the solicitor's practice as they probably haven't been paid at all). what can happen is that a solicitor will do up a bill of costs (including the items you have paid) and send that to the other side. They may not agree to pay it, and no compromise might be possible. If this happens the file normally goes to an expert in costs (a cost accountant) who prepares a very detailed bill and the costs can then be ruled on by a court (county registrar in circuit court or taxing master in high court). as i said this happens from time to time and it can take a while.

I'd be more concerned about the firm "closing down". Talk to the law society to see if they can let you know what the story is - it's very unlikely that no-one is dealing with your file (possible the law society may have taken control of the files if the firm closed down quickly for unforseen reasons).

Advertisement